PDA

View Full Version : CO washing my oily hair!

Ponymad21
June 15th, 2016, 04:24 AM
I really want to try co washing as my skin reacts badly (burning, itching ect) to a lot of shampoos, but my roots can get fairly oily, will co washing make it worse?
The conditioner that I use at the moment is either treseme keratin smooth or Aussie moisture
I've not washed my hair for almost 2 weeks if that makes a difference to how it will react to co washing for the first time

TatsuOni
June 15th, 2016, 06:28 AM
It's different for everyone. Some people get greasy hair for a while before the scalp get's used to it. For some people it doesn't work and for some, like me it get's clean the first time. My scalp is in the dry side, so CO made my scalp less dry and led to the scalp producing less sebium and therefore my hair got less oily.

If it doesn't work it can also be because the products isn't right for that person.

Try and see what happens!:)

pailin
June 15th, 2016, 06:48 AM
It didn't work for me, but it might for you. Only one way to find out!

lapushka
June 15th, 2016, 07:28 AM
If you can go 2 weeks without washing without many issues, your hair is not oily, and so CO-washing can go pretty well for you. I would check out the CO-washing thread for more info and recs on products. You will get more answers there, I'm sure!

I have oily hair (needing to wash more in one week time = oily), and CO-washing was a disaster for me in the sense that it flared-up my SD and didn't cut through the oil, hence the flare-up.

Ponymad21
June 15th, 2016, 08:33 AM
Thanks, I've always been told that my hair is really greasy and oily, but it appears not! and it seems to be less oily since I stopped brushing it?

vampyyri
June 15th, 2016, 08:47 AM
Thanks, I've always been told that my hair is really greasy and oily, but it appears not! and it seems to be less oily since I stopped brushing it?

Yeah, definitely not oily. I can barely go every other day without looking like someone dumped oil on my scalp :lol:

I would imagine brushing the oils through would distribute them better... so it's rather strange that you're less oily after not brushing it. Do you distribute the sebum with scalp massages or preening?

CO-washing may work for you, it's always worth a shot! My hair couldn't do it because I'm a grease-head and it made it worse :shrug:

lapushka
June 15th, 2016, 09:07 AM

No a hairdresser once told me if you can go a week without oil your scalp is normal, if you have oil during that week or need to wash more than once a week: oily. If you can go more than one week comfortably without oil: dry scalp.

So if it hardly gets oily week after a week, you have dry scalp.

My mom can go a month, and then she needs to wash not because of sebum (there won't be any), but because the hairspray has built up on her. I'm more like my dad. He's oily. He has SD, I do too. I get oily during a week of not washing, so I'm oily.

pailin
June 15th, 2016, 09:53 AM
Yes, I missed that when I first read your post. If you can go two weeks, definitely not oily. Until I switched to my current routine, I'd wash at night and by 4 or 5pm the next day, my roots were gross and I'd sometimes use baby powder to degrease them if I wanted my hair to look nice in the evening. With my current routine, I can get a full 24 hours and stretch to two days if I need to.
At any rate I still think you should give CO a try, and if you're not oily your chances are pretty good.

Anje
June 15th, 2016, 10:41 AM
It worked for me, but I wandered away from it (among other things, I got bangs and needed to shampoo them to make them not look greasy halfway through the day), and now I'm on a diluted shampoo + conditioner routine. My scalp can get greasy faster if I wash it with harsher things, and CO definitely got the oil out, though not as much as shampoo does, i.e. my hair is more moisturized with CO and doesn't absorb as much sebum before looking greasy.

Your products might be somewhat heavy for CO washing, but that sort of thing is highly individual. I always did best with a light conditioner like Suave Naturals.

ETA: My oiliness varies seasonally and with washing methods. With my dilute shampoo and summer, I need to wash every 3-4 days. With CO, it seems like it was more like 5 days. But I pretty much wash when I feel like it, based on how my roots look and when it's convenient. More drying methods lead to me producing sebum faster.

Thoughtfulnod
June 16th, 2016, 02:02 PM
I tried co-washing with my oily hair for 2-3 months, and I wasn't a big fan. I moved to scalp-only shampooing and putting conditioner only past my ears, with boar bristle brushing before washings and bedtime. It's been 1 month, and so far I am liking the results. I can stretch out to 2-3 days between washes when before I at least had to use dry shampoo if I didn't wash every day.

lapushka
June 16th, 2016, 02:33 PM
I tried co-washing with my oily hair for 2-3 months, and I wasn't a big fan. I moved to scalp-only shampooing and putting conditioner only past my ears, with boar bristle brushing before washings and bedtime. It's been 1 month, and so far I am liking the results. I can stretch out to 2-3 days between washes when before I at least had to use dry shampoo if I didn't wash every day.

That's a pretty decent result! I had to wash 2/3 times a week when my hair was pixie - BSL. At around BSL, that had a turn around to twice a week, then the longer it got the more I could stretch it. I don't comb/brush during the week (for my wavy hair) and found that the less I "disturb" my scalp, the longer it stretches the washings.