PDA

View Full Version : My hair method

naopll10
June 14th, 2016, 05:25 PM
Hi all, I realised on top of my trich(trichotillomania) that I have psoriasis. After I realised this I then went to Flannerie's( a heath food shop in Australia) and got myself a vegan, sulphate, paraben and silicone free shampoo and conditioner. I also got some biotin. The shampoo I got was one called A Bit Hippy. I will let you know how it goes. So far the itchiness is almost completely gone. I am taking the biotin for hair growth and I have been using oils on my hair. To wash my hair I have been using a wwc method(wash, wash, condition) I am happy with the results:):o

Decoy24601
June 14th, 2016, 06:11 PM
That's great! I have eczema on my scalp after bed bugs set it off again (I normally do have eczema on other areas of my body). I've found that an ACV rinse helps keep my eczema at bay and my scalp happy. I've been making sure to take my multivitamin and some biotin and I've noticed a lot of new growth on my scalp. My scalp gets very oily and greasy and my hair just soaks up all the grease, so I need a SLS shampoo to cut through it all. I switched to a shampoo bar with SLS, but no other harsh chemicals, and have noticed it doesn't irritate my skin nearly as much as other shampoos and I've been able to go much longer between washes. I have issues with allergies anyways, so I have to be careful when trying out new products.

It feels wonderful to have a happy scalp and happy hair again, doesn't it?

PixieP
June 15th, 2016, 06:51 AM
Naopll10 did a doctor diagnose you with psoriasis? Just asking because there are several scalp skin issues that can look and feel similar, but need different ways of dealing with :)

lapushka
June 15th, 2016, 08:13 AM
Naopll10 did a doctor diagnose you with psoriasis? Just asking because there are several scalp skin issues that can look and feel similar, but need different ways of dealing with :)

I hope she's not just saying that; so I'm guessing: yes. ;)

A lot of scalp issues can look indeed alike.

Maybe we have a new wash method, and we should rename the thread the "WWC method". No? I think so! ;) :) What do you think, naopll10?

Anje
June 15th, 2016, 09:47 AM
It might be worth getting an official diagnosis. Eczema, psoriasis, and seborrheic dermatitis can look similar, off the top of my head. As an autoimmune disorder, psoriasis has some potential to be serious or to tie in with more serious problems, so it's worth following up.

hayheadsbird
June 15th, 2016, 10:09 AM
It might be worth getting an official diagnosis. Eczema, psoriasis, and seborrheic dermatitis can look similar, off the top of my head. As an autoimmune disorder, psoriasis has some potential to be serious or to tie in with more serious problems, so it's worth following up.
I've been putting DDs dandruff/flakes down to her eczema, but I think I'll get her an appointment to actually get it checked out. It's not irritating her physically, but it's annoying her it won't shift.

PixieP
June 15th, 2016, 10:45 AM
I hope she's not just saying that; so I'm guessing: yes. ;)

A lot of scalp issues can look indeed alike.

Maybe we have a new wash method, and we should rename the thread the "WWC method". No? I think so! ;) :) What do you think, naopll10?

Since she says she has tric I'm sure she's been to a doctor; I just wanted to check to be on the sure side, because I've seen the result of what self-diagnosing can do! (husband thought he'd gotten scalp psoriasis because his skin was acting just like mine, turned out he had a fungus infection, that got much worse because the way to treat that is much different that psoriasis.)

I've been double-washing my hair forever, as in sudsing it up with shampoo twice. I need to do that to get my scalp completly clean, no matter the shampoo really. If I'm in a hurry I'll only shampoo once, but then I will need to wash my hair 2 days later because it's oily again. When I shampoo twice I can go 3-4 days without needing to wash again.

naopll10
June 15th, 2016, 07:48 PM
No, tbh:D but my grandfather gets what I get and a doctor diagnosed hi with it. My mum also gets it. Whatever it is it is genetic.

Betazed
June 16th, 2016, 09:21 AM
I had always thought shampooing twice was more harmful than helpful? Like, you're not getting any benefit from that second shampoo, you're only causing more damage and dryness. I can't say for sure where I heard this from or if it was taking into consideration people with scalp conditions. Has anyone else heard this? I've never shamppoed twice so I have no experience as to whether this is true or not. Any thoughts, anyone?

meteor
June 16th, 2016, 09:52 AM
Naopll10, I'm so happy you found a routine that works well for you! :D The itch going away sounds really promising! :D Happy growing! :cheer:

Oh, most definitely. :agree: Things like itchy scalp, dandruff, redness, etc are only symptoms... and they can be symptoms of a wide range of skin conditions that can have pretty different treatment protocols, so it should all start with a correct diagnosis.

I had always thought shampooing twice was more harmful than helpful? Like, you're not getting any benefit from that second shampoo, you're only causing more damage and dryness. I can't say for sure where I heard this from or if it was taking into consideration people with scalp conditions. Has anyone else heard this? I've never shamppoed twice so I have no experience as to whether this is true or not. Any thoughts, anyone?

Yes. I think it depends... depends on how cleansing the formula is, on how oily the scalp and hair is, on how clean & fluffy you want your hair to come out, on whether or not you used any pre-poo treatments (e.g. heavy oil soaks), on how long it's been since the hair was washed, on whether or not there is a lot of styling product in the hair, on whether or not hair managed to get really dirty (e.g. at construction site, or something like that), etc...
I'm all for washing hair just as much as needed to get it clean... and that need will be different depending on scalp, hair and circumstances.
(Personally, I always lather up shampoo 2 or 3 times, but that's because I wash infrequently and I have very dense hair (hard to get to every bit of scalp thoroughly) and I like to do pre-poo treatments. If I washed every day or every other day, I would probably only lather up once and I'd use much gentler and less cleansing but more "moisturizing" formulas.)

PixieP
June 16th, 2016, 11:51 AM

Well for me, it's shampoo twice every 4th day, or once every 2nd day, so I end up with the same amount of shampooing, but twice the amount of water used (my skin doesn't like exposure to water), and twice the amount of conditioner used, and I'm not made of money :P It's better for my skin to go 4 days without water on it, and with me overall spending less time with water on my skin.