PDA

View Full Version : Box hair dye question

diddiedaisy
June 14th, 2016, 10:20 AM
Hi all, I'm going to ask what seems like a really stupid question but I'm going to ask anyway lol

I normally dye my hair with level 9.0. I have no idea how much peroxide is used in this as company's don't like to tell you. Its top secret information!!! So, my question is will level 8 contain less peroxide? I know it seems pretty obvious that it would, but you never know do you. My natural colour is somewhere between 7 & 8 depending on which chart you look at, if that information helps.

Thanks

Mademoiselle
June 14th, 2016, 02:10 PM
hello ! I'm hairdesser, if your hair is 7-8 you should use peroxide 20vol / 6%
boxes usually bring peroxide 30vol when it comes to blondes and redheads clear, but this is achieved clarify up to 3 tones.
In your case you just have to clarify 1,5 or 2 tones with 20vol is more than enough:) also damage less your hair

Mademoiselle
June 14th, 2016, 02:12 PM
sorry just understood you were asking for the amount ( my english, ouch )
same amount of peroxide to dye

diddiedaisy
June 15th, 2016, 01:11 PM
thankyou :)

Mademoiselle
June 15th, 2016, 04:27 PM
I'm glad to help you ;)

mindwiped
June 17th, 2016, 01:21 AM
If you are US located, you can try to find a Sally's beauty, they'll have the different strength developers. The higher the number, the more peroxide, which causes greater damage. If your hair is naturally lighter (7/8) you could a 20 volume, per mademoiselle's advice, but most box dyes have at least a 30. If you're trying to lighten more than 2-3 shades, ask for expert help, it's too easy to mess up your color.

If you don't have Sally's, you can also try Amazon..good luck!

lapushka
June 17th, 2016, 05:14 AM
Box dyes usually lift 1 shade, or even 2 if the box indicates it, so they couldn't possibly have that much developer in them. Or am I wrong in assuming that?

Alex Lou
June 17th, 2016, 05:20 AM
It sure would be nice if they listed how many levels it will lighten. A lot of box dyes seem to be 20vol regardless of the level of the dye. Comparing the level 9 to the level 8, the level 8 will just contain more dye, but not stronger developer, because they assume you are starting with darker hair and need more dye (the color that deposits) to achieve the color you want. Look at the intended starting color of the hair vs the proposed result on the back of the box. If it changes 1 level, then it's probably 20vol. If it changes the hair by 2-3 levels then it's probably 30vol. So let's say you switch from 9 golden blonde, to 8 golden blonde and both are 20 vol: both will lighten the same amount but the 8 will deposit more gold.