PDA

View Full Version : Oily scalp fine hair

Wendyp
June 13th, 2016, 05:48 PM
My hair is fine so it shows grease. Can't get past the bottom of my bra strap. I have to wash like every other day. Any suggestions to avoid washing so much?

Wendyp
June 13th, 2016, 05:49 PM
Fine that is lol

meteor
June 13th, 2016, 06:10 PM
I'd try various Scalp Only washing techniques (e.g. with a bun covered with a plastic wrap/shower cap or braid held by hand above head) in shower or over sink, to avoid overwashing hair but still wash scalp as frequently as needed. Also, I'd check out tools like PonyDry to maybe help with this: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=136047

Or you could try alternating full shampooings with WO-washes or CO-washes or CWC-washes in between... Also, consider the specific cleansers and other products you are using - maybe there is some room for improvement there that can allow you to stretch washes a bit more? Some people can stretch washes more easily when they go for milder cleansers, sometimes the ones that are SLS/SLES-free... while others prefer stronger detergents for stretching washes (usually specifically designed for "oily" or maybe "dandruff-prone" scalps, usually with SLS or ALS, and often with additional ingredients marketed for oily hair, e.g. clay or tea tree oil or lemon, etc or exfoliating ingredients like salicylic acid, for example).

It's trial and error really, it does take a bit of experimentation to find the routines and products that allow to stretch washes reasonably. :)

If stretching washes is difficult anyway, I wouldn't worry about it much - it should be fine, just be very careful when handling wet hair (hair is at its fragile state when wet), don't be rough with it, and it should be fine. :) Also, I'd check out pre-poo oiling with penetrating oils (coconut oil was shown to reduce damage from washing - http://journal.scconline.org/pdf/cc2003/cc054n02/p00175-p00192.pdf) and condition hair thoroughly - all this should help, too. Good luck! :D

Wendyp
June 13th, 2016, 06:32 PM
Wow that is helpful thank you! btw though I don't know what the abbreviations mean lol! I have been using Wen for years but I still can get past this length it breaks off. Just went back to Aveda the invanti line.

meteor
June 13th, 2016, 06:49 PM
Wow that is helpful thank you! btw though I don't know what the abbreviations mean lol! I have been using Wen for years but I still can get past this length it breaks off. Just went back to Aveda the invanti line.

Oops, sorry about the abbreviations:
WO: Water Only
CO: Conditioner Only
CWC: Conditioner - Wash (shampoo) - Conditioner
SLS: sodium lauryl sulfate
ALS: ammonium lauryl sulfate

If I understand correctly, washing with Wen is very similar to CO-washing (Wen formula is basically like a conditioner).
If it doesn't provide a very good cleanse, I'd use something else, more cleansing, or just rotate this product with a more clarifying formula, if needed.

If your ends keep breaking off, there could be many possibilities:

- Was your hair chemically treated, heat-styled or did it sustain a lot of mechanical or other damage? If there is serious past damage that is causing breakage, I'd introduce regular oiling and invest in good quality hydrolyzed protein treatment (DIY gelatin masks are good, but so are many "reconstruct / protein filler" types of products).

- Try oil rinses (spreading a couple drops of oil on length/ends before conditioning or added to conditioner) and/or oils as leave-ins if your hair lacks elasticity.

- If your hair is very dry, check out the SMT (conditioner + honey + aloe) or a variation of it (e.g. with oil(s)).

- Most importantly, try to protect hair as much as possible and avoid any additional damage:
sleeping with hair contained on silk/satin pillowcases or using scarves/bonnets (any silky smooth material will do);
keeping hair in protective updos as much as possible;
detangling very carefully with seamless wide-tooth combs and/or fingers, avoiding unnecessary brushing;
avoiding different forms of excessive styling and manipulation;
wearing hats/scarves/buffs if it's windy or sunny outside;
etc, etc

Wendyp
June 13th, 2016, 07:45 PM
I was just reading the fine hair forum wow so much info. I was trying to find the info on Smt is there a thread on that. I color my roots to cover grey unfortunately. Wen has been good but I can't get past my current length so I have to change what I'm doing. I appreciate all the info! I had no idea pillow cases even mattered ��

lapushka
June 14th, 2016, 03:55 AM
Here's the SMT thread:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

It would help us out if you shared your hair length, because scalp washes can normally only be done if you can at least put your hair up into some sort of updo or braid.

Wen is a conditioner-wash, and might not be the best suited towards an oily scalp. I'd try a sulfate-free shampoo or even a sulfate shampoo. I use a sulfate shampoo because I need to (SD). You might have to experiment a little. Plus, Wen is extortionate in price, I find.

My scalp is oily and I have stretched from about 2/3 washes a week to a weekly wash. It didn't happen overnight, though. And I have SD (seborrheic dermatitis), so I need to keep my scalp as clean as possible.

When your hair grows longer, it certainly helps if you want to forego a wash; don't know how that works exactly, but once I got past BSL, I could go to 2 washes a week and taper off to once a week soon after. Yeah, thereabouts, I think.

Wendyp
June 14th, 2016, 05:55 AM
Thank you! I can't wait to try it! My hair is about to my bra strap at the longest. My hair grows in a weird v shape and I have been having. Hard time finding hair dressers who sing take off inches despite me telling them not to. I put a pic on my profile the ends kind of thin out, I haven't been doing Dt and now I'm thinking that's what's missing. Wen has you thinking it's all you need but I can see not. I have been reading on this site wow so much info! I want to try gelatin treatments too. What products do you use do you mind me asking? Is there a product recommend thread too? Thanks so much again!

lapushka
June 14th, 2016, 06:21 AM
Thank you! I can't wait to try it! My hair is about to my bra strap at the longest. My hair grows in a weird v shape and I have been having. Hard time finding hair dressers who sing take off inches despite me telling them not to. I put a pic on my profile the ends kind of thin out, I haven't been doing Dt and now I'm thinking that's what's missing. Wen has you thinking it's all you need but I can see not. I have been reading on this site wow so much info! I want to try gelatin treatments too. What products do you use do you mind me asking? Is there a product recommend thread too? Thanks so much again!

Take it slow. ;) You're just new here, take your time to browse & read a little. Don't just up and go change your entire routine just because of the first thread you read. Try and read some more first. There are plenty of options: WO, SO, CO, CWC, WCC, etc. which may or may not all be suited towards fine oily hair.

People use various different products around here. Drugstore, high-end, it really doesn't matter much what you use, as long as it works, and finding what works can be a bit challenging, especially since you're new.

Don't just up and go experiment with whatever you come across. Try one thing and see how you like it, don't just go change a lot of things all at once because then you will no longer know what works and what doesn't. One thing at a time.

I remember what it was like when I first got here, I wanted to try it all - all at once. And that is definitely not the way to go.

vampyyri
June 14th, 2016, 07:47 AM
I just started scalp-only washes in the bathroom sink when I need to freshen up in the morning. I basically pulled my hair into a ponytail with the last loop halfway through, and held it out of the way while I scrubbed my scalp. It's dried now, and I have that nice fresh clean feeling without overwashing the rest of my hair.

pailin
June 14th, 2016, 08:26 AM
I just wash daily,and I'm picky about conditioner. Also I've taken to putting conditioner on the length, then shampoo only the scalp, then wash it all out and condition again (sometimes called CWC). Also, I use a clear shampoo- not a moisturizing one; this helps and right now I could probably go to every other day if I really wanted to.
My hair and my scalp are both happy this way (currently between waist and hip, by the way; I'll reevaluate as it gets longer).

lulikrueger
June 14th, 2016, 09:12 AM
ALWAYS have a pre-poo treatment, it'll ensure the shampoo won't damage the ends any further. There are many ways you can do it, but I like oils, you can use coconut, olive, whatever natural oil you like.
Sulfate-free shampoos help a lot as well, even though it may sound counter productive. They'll clean your scalp without stripping it completely, that'll make your body produce a bit less oil, since your scalp won't be as dried out from the sulfates.
Also, castor oil helps a lot with oily scalps, my mother has an oily scalp and since she started massaging it on her scalp, her oil production decreased a lot. My hair is normal, and since I started using it I noticed the same thing, without it drying it out.

lulikrueger
June 14th, 2016, 09:14 AM
Remember to stay hydrated too, that excessive oil production is the body's way of protecting the skin because it thinks it's dried out. That's why dermatologists tell people with oily skin to moisturize, moisturize, moisturize.

lapushka
June 14th, 2016, 09:14 AM
ALWAYS have a pre-poo treatment, it'll ensure the shampoo won't damage the ends any further. There are many ways you can do it, but I like oils, you can use coconut, olive, whatever natural oil you like.
Sulfate-free shampoos help a lot as well, even though it may sound counter productive. They'll clean your scalp without stripping it completely, that'll make your body produce a bit less oil, since your scalp won't be as dried out from the sulfates.
Also, castor oil helps a lot with oily scalps, my mother has an oily scalp and since she started massaging it on her scalp, her oil production decreased a lot. My hair is normal, and since I started using it I noticed the same thing, without it drying it out.

I would not recommend that for oily hair, to put oil on the scalp before washing. On the very ends? Fine, but not the scalp. I'm not sure which one you meant, so just throwing it out there; I'm oily too, so I know what it's like. And I have to use sulfate shampoos for my scalp, so it might be a case of YMMV, and she'll just have to experiment. It's not always that milder shampoos make us produce less oil! ;)

lulikrueger
June 14th, 2016, 09:37 AM
I would not recommend that for oily hair, to put oil on the scalp before washing. On the very ends? Fine, but not the scalp. I'm not sure which one you meant, so just throwing it out there; I'm oily too, so I know what it's like. And I have to use sulfate shampoos for my scalp, so it might be a case of YMMV, and she'll just have to experiment. It's not always that milder shampoos make us produce less oil! ;)

I meant the ends only as a pre-poo, just so the frequent shampooing doesn't damage it.
Everything in hair is about experimenting if you think about it. It works most of the time, a lot of friends and clients of mine have tried and approved it. The mild shampoos work to reduce oil production because the body doesn't think the skin is dry, so it produces less oil, and it might reduce a lot in some cases, but it does. There's also a transition period when your feel a lot more oil, but it does go away in a week or so.
The oiling of the scalp works to trick the body into thinking there's enough oil and it doesn't need to over-produce. Castor oil isn't a very emolient oil like olive or avocado, and it does help with oily scalps, that's why I mix it with very emolient ones when I apply it to mine. To an oily scalp I'd recommend mixing it with jojoba, 'cause it's rather hard to apply and shampoo out straight castor oil.
A good thing to keep in mind is also that you don't have to wash your hair once a week only. Every 3 or 4 days is just fine, specially because you can disguise the oilyness with braids or buns.

lapushka
June 14th, 2016, 09:43 AM
The mild shampoos work to reduce oil production because the body doesn't think the skin is dry, so it produces less oil, and it might reduce a lot in some cases, but it does. There's also a transition period when your feel a lot more oil, but it does go away in a week or so.
The oiling of the scalp works to trick the body into thinking there's enough oil and it doesn't need to over-produce. Castor oil isn't a very emolient oil like olive or avocado, and it does help with oily scalps, that's why I mix it with very emolient ones when I apply it to mine. To an oily scalp I'd recommend mixing it with jojoba, 'cause it's rather hard to apply and shampoo out straight castor oil.
A good thing to keep in mind is also that you don't have to wash your hair once a week only. Every 3 or 4 days is just fine, specially because you can disguise the oilyness with braids or buns.

I'm sorry to burst the bubble but it doesn't work for everyone. My scalp does not produce less oil with milder shampoos. Instead it reacts because it's not clean enough and I have a flare-up of my SD. So... for some of us it's a myth, that's why I'm saying YMMV. ;)

lulikrueger
June 14th, 2016, 09:57 AM
I'm sorry to burst the bubble but it doesn't work for everyone. My scalp does not produce less oil with milder shampoos. Instead it reacts because it's not clean enough and I have a flare-up of my SD. So... for some of us it's a myth, that's why I'm saying YMMV. ;)

Doesn't mean it's not worth mentioning and trying.

missrandie
June 14th, 2016, 10:15 AM
I think one of the things that would help the most is protective updos, plus mindfulness of where your hair is at. Are you wearing it down? If so, is it rubbing between your back and your seat? What about your purse strap? Backpack? Jacket? Shirt?

What about your brushing and combing techniques? Do you rip through your hair, or gently work through it? Are you using a fine tooth comb? If so, stop it. Most combs have a seam in between the teeth from the manufacturing process that makes them shred hair.

If you can, start using a wide tooth comb. Preferably one that is seamless. If no, then try to find a good brush; there are many recommendations on here.

Also, just in case you use them, throw out any velcro rollers! Those things are awful on hair.

Agnes Hannah
June 14th, 2016, 10:34 AM
Hi Wendyp welcome to LHC! as you can see there are a lot of people with a vast knowledge of hair care. Like yourself I have very fine hair and my scalp gets greasy. I have tailbone length hair, so it can grow longer if you treat it like vintage lace. My routine is quite simple, I use a wide tooth handmade comb to detangle. At night I plait it but leave the plait unfastened, then put it into a silk sleep cap. I have a silk pillow too for added protection. When washing I use non sulphate shampoos which work for me washing the top part only, then I condition from ears down twice, WCC method. Sometimes I oil the ends whilst washing too. I also scalp only wash to cut down on washing the length too much. Every day it is put up into some sort of bun, currently a cinnamon bun because it looks huge on me when normally my buns are tiny. Hope you find what suits you best, good luck and happy growing!

pailin
June 14th, 2016, 10:53 AM
Yes, do experiment with shampoos - you might do well with something gentler. Or you might be like Lapushka, require harsher shampoo. I need the harsher shampoo, and I've learned the hard way that my scalp hates oils.

lapushka
June 14th, 2016, 11:04 AM
Yes, do experiment with shampoos - you might do well with something gentler. Or you might be like Lapushka, require harsher shampoo. I need the harsher shampoo, and I've learned the hard way that my scalp hates oils.

Oh, believe me I tried darn hard to go gentler, but my scalp was having none of it. :( I love the gentler formula's but my scalp protests and it's ultimately about what my hair wants so...

MsBubbles
June 14th, 2016, 11:28 AM
Another strong vote for scalp washes, here. I firmly believe I wouldn't have been able to get my hair past BSL if someone hadn't suggested those to me early on. I have super-fine hair too with the oil slick scalp, so I know what you mean. Going to work every day means I really need to be presentable. I tried 'stretching washes' but the fine hair/oily scalp combo just never went away. Longest I can 'stretch' it is a day and a half!

People here have different ways of doing the scalp only washing. Some people use a plastic bag over the length in the shower, some people dip their head into the sink, etc.

I find my scalp gets mostly greasy around the edges, so if I don't have time or the facility to take a full shower/hair wash, I wash my hair around the hairline. The bits in the middle (more hair coverage) don't show the grease quite as much.

Wendyp
June 14th, 2016, 12:30 PM
Thank you that's good advice. I afraid to use drug store stuff but I'm reading A lot of people do here. Maybe my theory that expensive is better is flawed. Thanks again.

Wendyp
June 14th, 2016, 01:30 PM
Oh my gosh you guys are all just awesome!!! I'm so excited and I'm going to take it slow and try yalls recommendations!!!

Wendyp
June 14th, 2016, 01:33 PM
Hi Wendyp welcome to LHC! as you can see there are a lot of people with a vast knowledge of hair care. Like yourself I have very fine hair and my scalp gets greasy. I have tailbone length hair, so it can grow longer if you treat it like vintage lace. My routine is quite simple, I use a wide tooth handmade comb to detangle. At night I plait it but leave the plait unfastened, then put it into a silk sleep cap. I have a silk pillow too for added protection. When washing I use non sulphate shampoos which work for me washing the top part only, then I condition from ears down twice, WCC method. Sometimes I oil the ends whilst washing too. I also scalp only wash to cut down on washing the length too much. Every day it is put up into some sort of bun, currently a cinnamon bun because it looks huge on me when normally my buns are tiny. Hope you find what suits you best, good luck and happy growing!

you give me hope!!! Can't thank you enough for your post!!!

vampyyri
June 14th, 2016, 01:46 PM
Thank you that's good advice. I afraid to use drug store stuff but I'm reading A lot of people do here. Maybe my theory that expensive is better is flawed. Thanks again.

Don't be afraid, high end doesn't always mean better! Everyone is different, and "drugstore" as a whole isn't a bad thing, but YMMV on what works for you from there.

A lot of us on here thrive on V05 and Suave! :gabigrin:

Wendyp
June 14th, 2016, 01:55 PM
Don't be afraid, high end doesn't always mean better! Everyone is different, and "drugstore" as a whole isn't a bad thing, but YMMV on what works for you from there.

A lot of us on here thrive on V05 and Suave! :gabigrin:

i see that! I'm shocked! Makes me happy tho I'm tired of spending a fortune on my hair without the results I want

Wendyp
June 14th, 2016, 01:55 PM
What do you look for to see if your scalp wants harsher?

lapushka
June 14th, 2016, 02:39 PM
What do you look for to see if your scalp wants harsher?

You can't just "see" that. It will be trial & error. What are you using now as a shampoo? We'll tell you if it has sulfates or if it is sulfate free (that is if you aren't sure on that).

Stepo_NiNha
June 14th, 2016, 03:09 PM
I also have fine oily hair and I stick to a very simple classic routine SC shampoo and conditioner ( a sulfate shampoo). I wash it every other day and during some days in my cycle my scalp is greasier and I have to do a scalp only wash even if it means washing the crown area everyday during that week. I really dont mind if I have to keep the shampoo kissing my scalp since they are best friends :)

Wendyp
June 14th, 2016, 03:22 PM
You can't just "see" that. It will be trial & error. What are you using now as a shampoo? We'll tell you if it has sulfates or if it is sulfate free (that is if you aren't sure on that).

i have been using wen for 2 years including his products. Washing every other day and his oil overnight befor wash. you can see in my picture I have breakage on the bottom. I haven't been doing any protein treatments or say smt.

Wow everyond one is so helpful. It's so nice to see everyone being so nice and helpful in such a difficult world these days 😘

Wendyp
June 14th, 2016, 03:25 PM
Beautiful hair!

nalgena
June 14th, 2016, 03:58 PM
I have to put my 2 cents in here.

I have fine hair and my scalp gets greasy easily. I used to wash my hair every other day and then I stretched washes to go 3 or even 4 days without washing. I would usually use dry shampoo, but to be honest my hair didn't look good at all most of the times. I also tried all natural shampoos&conditioners, which don't work for me at all. They made my scalp itch like crazy and my hair looked waxy. I tired different brands and used it for a few months, but it was a disaster. So I am back to using most regular, "full of chemicals shampoos", and I'm happy about it.

Lately, I have noticed that my hair gets greasy sooner. Just yesterday it was day 2 after washing and my hair looked so unpresentable that I decided to wash it 10 minutes before I had to go to work! So I think I've had it and I am going to wash my hair more regularly again. I've been struggling with stretching washes for a year and a half (!) and most of the times what I get from it is itchy scalp and semi-greasy looking hair. I'm also suspecting that dry shampoo is causing more shedding than normal, but I'm not entirely sure. I would much rather have clean looking hair more often even if that means that it might not grow as long because of mechanical damage or whatever.

lapushka
June 14th, 2016, 04:22 PM
i have been using wen for 2 years including his products. Washing every other day and his oil overnight befor wash. you can see in my picture I have breakage on the bottom. I haven't been doing any protein treatments or say smt.

Wow everyond one is so helpful. It's so nice to see everyone being so nice and helpful in such a difficult world these days ��

Oh yes, that's right! You use Wen. Then I would try a sulfate-free shampoo first! See how you go and whether or not your hair will become less oily over time with it (it might take a couple weeks).

Wendyp
June 14th, 2016, 06:15 PM
one thing for sure my hair could look a lot better, I just measured and all that, and I see there are people here with the same kind of hair I have and it looks amazing. I'm stoked, I cant wait to try all the different suggestions.

Ellethwyn
June 14th, 2016, 08:19 PM
I have fine hair that gets oily fast. I wash every other day using the condition, wash, condition method, which is putting conditioner from ears down and only shampooing scalp and then condition from ears down. I haven't used shampoo on my ends in weeks. It seems to like cwc just fine. I'm not sure if CWC is as good as scalp only washes. I plan on giving scalp only washes a try. Putting it in a braid and holding the braid up while scalp washing sounds like an easy way.

Ellethwyn
June 14th, 2016, 08:22 PM
one thing for sure my hair could look a lot better, I just measured and all that, and I see there are people here with the same kind of hair I have and it looks amazing. I'm stoked, I cant wait to try all the different suggestions.

We are hair twins!

MsBubbles
June 14th, 2016, 08:25 PM
Oh yay! More 1a/F/ii's!

pailin
June 14th, 2016, 09:21 PM
Isn't Wen basically a conditioner only system? My hair wouldn't handle that.
Anyway, like Lapushka said, the way to find out is trial and error. For me, I've used oils on my scalp and gotten away with it, for a time. I'd always used heavy moisturizing shampoos - the ones marketed for dry, damaged hair - because my hair does tend to be dry, and it splits easily etc. I have also periodically had problems with itchy scalp or even a few times a horribly itchy rash. I'd always have to switch to dandruff shampoos for a few weeks or months until it cleared up. My current belief is that my shampoo was the culprit,and I've been clear now for 9 or 10 months or so, which is pretty good. Anyway, just pay attention to how your hair and scalp are doing, and note if anything changes, that's all.

Wendyp
June 15th, 2016, 11:46 AM
We are! And you hair is gorgeous! That's what I want mine to look like I'm so excited now. I thought Wen was all I need but I see that even that wash was just too much for my length. I did a SMT then scalp only wash them condition again and my hair feels awesome! Theres hope I'm going to get my goal with is tailbone!

Wendyp
June 15th, 2016, 11:50 AM
It is but he touts to only follow his program which I did and I think it's still too rough for my ends. I'm doing the CWC method now this week plus I'm going to to regular deep condition and SMT. The wen does cleans ur scalp really well so hence its stripping my length I think.

Wendyp
June 15th, 2016, 01:15 PM
We are hair twins!

what are you using? I'm hoping for your results!

Ellethwyn
June 15th, 2016, 01:20 PM
what are you using? I'm hoping for your results!

I use Nature's Gate Jojoba shampoo and conditioner, along with coconut oil on my ends a couple times a week and Joico K‑Pak Deep Penetrating Reconstructor once a week. :) :) :) I recently got a silk pillowcase to help with minimizing split ends. I think the silk pillowcase is very important, especially for us fine haired folk.

Wendyp
June 15th, 2016, 02:04 PM
Thank you! I'm learning so much here. I had no idea pillow cases could matter. I'm going to buy some ASAP.

Wendyp
June 15th, 2016, 06:28 PM
Its a cleansing conditioner, and really it does cleans really really well. I think too well, which is why I'm getting breakage. You think its like a cleanser but its not. I'm not going to stop using entirely but I have learned now through all the posts that I should have as little "cleanser" touch my length as possible and more treatments and such. His stuff is really expensive, so I'm trying all the other suggestions now to see what works. I'm totally changing my routine tho, today I did CWC and I can already see a difference. I'm going to go silk too lol.