PDA

View Full Version : Did a permanent dye: do I need to do extra conditioning?

DarleneH
June 13th, 2016, 12:52 PM
I colored my waist-length hair this weekend because I got sick of the greys. I normally do not wash hardly at all; only rinsing every now and then. No schedule; mostly just rinsing it after cutting the grass and that's not been even every week. If I rinse it at all like that I'd condition after, but most of the time I've been doing absolutely nothing to it.

So I had a healthy amount of sebum and stuff built up, and I'll return to not rinsing / washing any more than I have to. But I'm a little concerned now after coloring with a permanent dye that I need to pour on more conditioner or oils or something? What would you do?

lapushka
June 13th, 2016, 05:05 PM
I don't know. Does it feel like it needs extra TLC? Or not?

Adorkable One
June 13th, 2016, 05:22 PM
I second lapushka. If you feel like it needs it, then sure. If not, then no.

Permanent hair dye is the strongest application compared to direct or demi permanent. So, I would at least be more mindful of how your hair is doing. But, if it feels good, and you notice no problems as time goes on, then by all means, keep doing what you're doing. Even though permanent hair dye is the harshest, I still found it to not damage my hair very much. Since you already handle your hair kindly, I get the feeling you will be fine.

DarleneH
June 13th, 2016, 07:18 PM
It feels a little "skinny" to me and fragile. I suppose what that means is all the sebum and buildup got stripped away during the dye process, so it feels less robust now. And I don't want to put much more conditioner into it because that means I'd have to rinse it out, and water is what I'm trying to keep it away from. I may add a skim of jojoba oil throughout; that should make it feel more like normal. Thanks for your input. I do feel better after your saying it's probably fine. :)

endlessly
June 13th, 2016, 07:35 PM
In the past when I used to color my hair, I'd typically do a deep conditioning treatment or two immediately post hair dye just to help with moisture since chemical dyes can leave your hair on the dry side. I'd recommend it, but it depends how your hair feels. If it feels fine, it probably isn't necessary, but it doesn't hurt to treat it with some extra TLC.