PDA

View Full Version : Stretching washes and daily workout.

Wusel
June 12th, 2016, 05:47 AM
My problem is that I exercise on my cross trainer every day and sweat a lot on my scalp. So, my hair ist't greasy but... on day 3 or so it starts to smell. And on day 4 it starts being itchy. Because I'm a bit allergic to my own sweat. When I exercise I get redness and itchiness on my legs and stomach and neck too sometimes. Any idea how to solve this problem for my hair? I usually wash every 4 days but the only reason why I do this is the smell from the sweat and the itchiness. If that wasn't the case I could stretch it even to a week because it doesn't get greasy before day 6 or 7. And even then it's not too bad. Theoretically I could stretch it to 10 days or even more without looking gross. If there wasn't the smell and itchiness.
Any ideas?

Mimha
June 12th, 2016, 05:54 AM
Wusel,

You don't need to apply shampoo every time. Just rinse your hair under the shower without applying shampoo on it. So the sweat will go away (and the smell^^) and you will not disrupt your sebum balance. That's what I would do... or at least, what I would try. :wink:

Mademoiselle
June 12th, 2016, 04:12 PM
Mimha says just what I was to say =) test it, sure it work for you.

Kendrix
June 12th, 2016, 04:56 PM
I do the same. I just shower off after a workout and wear a turbie twist only on my bun so I can let the water run across my scalp a bit. If I soaped off after every workout, my skin and hair would be so dry and I have been biking around in 90 degree heat, so quick water-only body and scalp rinses seem like the way to go (I call them "Gary Showers" after my boyfriend because most days he will just get in the shower and stand under hot water until he feels clean).

Curly276mom
June 12th, 2016, 04:58 PM
You can scritch and preen if you don't want to wet your head, borrow techniques from wo :)

lapushka
June 12th, 2016, 05:32 PM
If it gets itchy, you *need to* wash it. There's no stretching beyond it feeling uncomfortable. If you need to wash twice a week, so be it. No harm done. :)

meteor
June 12th, 2016, 05:34 PM
What about trying a few techniques for a Scalp Only wash (e.g. with a braid or bun covered with plastic wrap/shower cap) with diluted shampoo or just water? :)
Tools like PonyDry can be of help for this, too: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=136047

Wusel
June 19th, 2016, 06:18 AM
Thank you!!!
I rinse out the sweat with water after the workout and it works!!! :joy:
It's day 7 after washing and my scalp still feels okay!!! :joy:
I still don't need shampoo. YAY!!! :joy:

Anya15
June 19th, 2016, 09:46 AM
I love water rinses to stretch my washes :D

Wusel you have gained quite a lot of length (sig pic)!

Betazed
June 19th, 2016, 11:00 AM
I was going to say to try rinsing with just water but I see you already have. I'm also allergic to my sweat, to the point that I have to take meds that pretty much stops sweating (and also causes wicked dry mouth, but I digress). Since it doesn't stop it completely (which I don't think is possible), I have to shower after every workout (and walk to the store... And dog walk... And getting the mail... You get the point :p ) and I can get away with shampooing only once every 7-8 days. I just rinse really well with each shower and I'm fine.

I'm glad you found something that works! :) it sucks being allergic to stuff!

turtlelover
June 19th, 2016, 11:04 AM
If your head itches and stinks, it is time to wash! :/

Wusel
June 19th, 2016, 11:26 AM
I love water rinses to stretch my washes :D

Wusel you have gained quite a lot of length (sig pic)!

Yes... I didn't know how long it's gotten before my son took the picture. I was pretty surprised :)

Wusel
June 19th, 2016, 11:31 AM
I was going to say to try rinsing with just water but I see you already have. I'm also allergic to my sweat, to the point that I have to take meds that pretty much stops sweating (and also causes wicked dry mouth, but I digress). Since it doesn't stop it completely (which I don't think is possible), I have to shower after every workout (and walk to the store... And dog walk... And getting the mail... You get the point :p ) and I can get away with shampooing only once every 7-8 days. I just rinse really well with each shower and I'm fine.

I'm glad you found something that works! :) it sucks being allergic to stuff!

It works extremely well. I rinse the sweat out and it's like freshly washed hair. Now I can go without washing for 10 days I'm sure. :) My hair doesn't get greasy since it's longer. It's like the longer it gets the less sebum my scalp produces. So, no need to wash when the sweat is out. :)

Goatcraft
June 19th, 2016, 11:35 AM
I'm glad you found a solution! I also water wash, but after about four or five days it feels sticky and just.. Unbearable (I run daily). Hopefully I'll be able to stretch to 7 days soon.