PDA

View Full Version : How do you get less damage while you sleep?

Mademoiselle
June 11th, 2016, 08:16 AM
I am sleep whit a big silk cap, my hair is loose inside the cap and it moves.
Since I sleep with silk coat I noticed that my ends are not dry on waking, before doing so woke me with the tips of my hair quite dry because the rub pillow, so I think there is a good difference with silk coat.
Do you think have less harm if sleep whit a braid inside the silkcap?
They have proven ways to sleep and have noticed improvement in your hair?
let share that gave better results =)

Anje
June 11th, 2016, 08:30 AM
Mine is loose or braided in a sleep cap, depending on how I was wearing it before mostly. I haven't really noticed much difference between the two, except that if it's braided, my hair is still contained when I take the cap off. That seems more convenient many mornings.

LongCurlyTress
June 11th, 2016, 09:14 AM
I have the same problem with matting after sleeping which is why I have to wet my hair everyday-very, very diluted shampoo since it is wet anyways... and use gobs of rinse out thick conditioner for detangling with my Madora comb..... looking forward to suggestions here! I am curly 3b here -- very thick but with fine strands... ugh. good luck with this! Love the thickness/hate the thickness...:rolleyes:

Deborah
June 11th, 2016, 11:04 AM
Mine does best if I braid it and sleep on a silk pillowcase. I cannot keep a sleep cap of any type on my head. I think I move around too much.

sumidha
June 11th, 2016, 11:19 AM
I might be misunderstanding what you've written but, are you tucking your hair into the cap? That would help protect the ends.

I use a silk pillowcase, and I also usually wear it in a very loose bun at the top of my head when I sleep, braiding and unbraiding every day would cause too many tangles for me (and take too long).

lapushka
June 11th, 2016, 11:28 AM
I just have either a regular cotton pillow case, a 50% cotton 50% polyester mix, or a microfiber pillowcase. I see no difference, so to me it's not worth it to shell out the money for silk (I do have a few cheap ones from our local "Zeeman", as they were on sale there but I don't use them). I sleep with my hair loose. I find that if you moisturize your hair enough, you won't have problems with how you sleep.

Nique1202
June 11th, 2016, 01:26 PM
I just wear my hair in a spin pin held cinnabun low on the back of my head (I'm a side sleeper). No sleep cap, no fancy pillowcase. I tried wearing a braid, and my hair dried out so bad I had to wet it and re-condition it the next day. Loose, it just tangles up because I toss and turn so much in the night. If I were a back sleeper, I'd probably do twin buns on the sides of my head to sleep... or I might be able to sleep with it loose then, because a back sleeper isn't as likely to toss and turn if they're only comfortable one way!

Decoy24601
June 11th, 2016, 04:02 PM
I'm looking into getting a satin pillowcase, but I normally braid my hair and I pull my hair back so it's hanging off the bed. I'm a back sleeper so most nights I wake up and my hair hasn't budged.

Adorkable One
June 11th, 2016, 04:17 PM
This was a huge problem for me too when I started using a silk cap. I also had a hard time getting it to stay on during the night, as I toss and turn a lot. What I do now is make a low ponytail (braids work too, but I don't personally like it.) Then I twist my hair into a simple cinnamon bun, and hold it together with my left hand. Now with my right hand, I grab my silk cap and use it sort of like a glove and then grab my bun with it. Then I pull the cap over my head, letting my loose hair drape in the excess of the cap. I adjust the cap s needed, making sure all my hair is covered. Then, I grab my hair through the cap, and secure it with a hair tie OVER the silk cap. This has been crucial in stopping my hair from moving around during the night, without causing and damage.

I can take a picture of this tonight incase it was confusing and hard to visualize.

meteor
June 11th, 2016, 04:43 PM
Since my daily style is a braided bun, I simply gently remove my stick/fork/etc from the bun, I do not undo the bun, but I cover it loosely with a smooth scarf for the night and I use smooth materials for pillowcases, too. I'm a restless sleeper, but 9 times out of 10, my braid is pretty much intact in the morning with this routine. I think this keeps hair compact and limits some unnecessary friction and manipulation.

If you sleep on your back, two braids might be a good option. For side sleepers, coiling a braid and placing it above one's head/pillow could be a good option.

For those who prefer leaving hair loose or don't like having braid waves or bun waves in the morning, you could try putting a large piece of silk (or any other smooth material) in the groove between the headboard and the mattress and put the length carefully there, above your pillow.

I think it's all about minimizing friction and pulling on hair at night time. :)

Mademoiselle
June 11th, 2016, 04:54 PM
sumidha Surely I have not expressed quite right, and the translator of google fails many times ... (my English is bad):couch::oops:
My hair is in the nightcap, but moves a lot at night because it is loose inside the cap, and I think maybe would have less friction if making a braid before putting the nightcap :)

lapushka I built my own silk cap with an old nightgown and elastic rubber in the sewing machine :knit: (preferred to use in hair LoL:pirate:)

Adorkable One I understand ;) I think it's a good idea what you do, I'll try to make a braided bun or loose bun and secured within the cap, it sure is the best way to sleep!

Llama
June 11th, 2016, 05:27 PM
I use a cotton pillowcase and wear my hair in a cinnabun on top of my head, secured with 2 hair pins (the crinkle kind). I used to use a claw clip or spin pins to secure my bun but always woke up with scalp pain from hair pulling. I haven't had that since switching to hair pins a couple months ago.
I sleep on my sides usually but sometimes on my back. I also toss and turn a lot so a bun on top of my head is the most comfortable for me. Seems gentle to me :)

Frankenstein
June 11th, 2016, 07:24 PM
I sometimes leave my hair loose inside my sleep bonnet and it's fine. I prefer to braid or bun it though, just because the hair is more contained and not wrapping around my ears which I don't like :lol:

GrowingOut
June 12th, 2016, 05:55 AM
I just keep my hair braided for sleeping. Much less chance of tangles, but I haven't changed my pillowcase from cotton. I don't move in my sleep.