PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyles for the gym

hendrickx
June 10th, 2016, 02:10 PM
I started working out in place that has no AC. In Florida. In the summer. Prior to this a ponytail was about enough for me to keep me cool. Now I want my hair up.

My go to has been twisting into a bun and securing using a ponytail holder, and while that works I'd like other ideas. My hair is about to the bottom of my shoulder blades. Individual hairs are on the finer end of medium, but I have LOTS of hair so it appears very thick.

My workouts involve lots of climbing, inversions and sudden movements since I'm doing circus arts (think Crique Du Soleil, but don't tell them I said that or I'll get trademark infringement letters).

Ideas welcome!

spidermom
June 10th, 2016, 02:26 PM
One or two snug french or dutch braids.

Arctic
June 10th, 2016, 02:35 PM
What ever style you end up making, try bandanna on your head, it will whick away the sweat so it's not running on your eyes all the time. While Finland is no Florida, I went to an no-AC gym at my swimming hall, also during hot summers, and it was tropical inside. Bandannas saved my sanity.

browneyedsusan
June 10th, 2016, 02:44 PM
I rock climb sometimes, and do a crossfit style workout other times. I usually make a ponytail on top of my head, and twist the tail into a nautilus, secure with a couple of sticks. It holds great, and doesnt get in the way of the toprope, you can lay on the floor with it, and it doesn't get caught if you do backsquats. :)

Cg
June 10th, 2016, 03:15 PM
And a sweat band around the hairline.

Astridnannerl
June 10th, 2016, 04:02 PM
Tight sock bun or braided bun. My hair is thin so the bun isn't very big.

Nique1202
June 10th, 2016, 04:24 PM
If there's not any pressure on your head then Heidi braids fastened with spin pins (they take less fuss than regular pins for better hold) are generally my go-to for "I really need my hair out of my way with NO chance of slipping into my face or down my neck". If you're likely to fall or get pressure where the spin pins would sit, though, they could get kinda painful, and I'd probably go with a crown braid. With practice, a crown braid will only take a few minutes to throw together and, as long as you don't have any particularly short layers, at your length it should hold everything well in place.

June 11th, 2016, 04:21 AM
Braid for inversions, top cinnabun for everything else. Someone in other thread recommended two braids... I'll have to try that, sounds reasonable.

TatsuOni
June 11th, 2016, 04:47 AM
Taped/sewed braids or what it's called in english. For example milkmaid braids. Take e large thick needle and a band and sew around them. Works fine for me while exercising.

hendrickx
June 29th, 2016, 12:32 PM
Nautilus is going to be my new best friend for a while. So simple, shocked I never tied it before.