PDA

View Full Version : Undercut - experience and advice

karenpetal
June 10th, 2016, 12:23 AM
Hi !! I have been itching to try out a style I have seen some ppl around the area I love carry off. Wanted to know any advice or experience you might have.

I have been growing my hair for 25 months after the big chop to get rid of splits and damages. I am between APL and BSL one length hair and mostly do a ponytails or buns (high).

What has been your experience with undercuts ?
What type of undercut nape vs side vs Mohawk ?
Tips for hair care and maintenance welcome and any cautions welcomed

Angela_Rose
June 10th, 2016, 12:30 AM
I've never had one myself, but one of my best friends in high school maintained an undercut for years. The thing she complained about the most was always having to find someone to do the cut for her; she wouldn't buzz it down on her own because she was afraid she would mess it up and ruin the line.

They can look pretty slick, if you ask me! She did hers straight across from about earlobe level, but I also knew a girl who did the Mohawk line. Her hair was dyed black and pink, and made a pretty striking pattern when she french braided the longer bits.

lulikrueger
June 10th, 2016, 04:19 AM
I'm currently growing out an undercut, and I had both sides shaved. I'll make a list of pros and cons.
I seem to be in an endless cycle with shaved bits. I'll think my hair looks boring, then I'll shave something and think it looks awesome, then I'll get tired of it and let it grow.

Pros:
- Easy to maintain, depending on the shape you get.
- Adds some life into your hairstyle even when you don't wanna do anything to it, just throw it to the side(if you get the side/s shaved) or put it into a ponytail(if you get an undercut).
- You can dye it crazy colours without fear of damage.
- You can get it shaved into interesting shapes, such as triangle, oval, heart etc. You can also get patterns shaved into it.]
- It's really easy to hide if you have long hair.
- The ways you can do it are infinite. You can shave a lot, or just a little, leave a bit of hair in the front(to help disguise it when you want, or just for added sass), just one side, both of 'em etc.

Cons:
- If you're tidy and meticulous with an updo like me, it'll be a pain in the ass once you decide to let it grow.
- If you don't have a lot of hair/volume, you'll have even less.
- When you decide to let grow, trust me, it'll be years 'til it stops bothering you.
- If you do it yourself, it'll probably look wonky.
- I particularly find ponytails very strange-looking with shaved side(s).
- Scalp sunburn is a real thing, so if you live in a very sunny place, beware(been there).
- If your natural hair colour is on the red side, you'll look like you have a skin condition soon as it starts growing(been there too).

Other considerations:
- If you sleep on it and it's a bit grown out, it'll looky messy and kinked, but some water and combing it into place will help.
- People will probably stare at you a fair bit more, so think about if you like it or not.
- You might want to start with a small section in the nape, it's easier to disguise if you decide you hate it, and you'll lose less volume like that.

Mya
June 10th, 2016, 04:37 AM
I used to have a mohawk. Was easy to maintain with a razor. Having shaved sides gives you some pleasant freshness in summer!

karenpetal
June 10th, 2016, 11:40 PM
Thanks all for the reply!! Anyone just done nape to get rid of whisps and feel clean ?

lulikrueger
June 11th, 2016, 01:47 AM
I did my nape for the look of it, but when I was in middle school a lot of girls did it for that reason, that and to lose a bit of volume that they didn't like.
They weren't punk girls, they were rather conservative, they did it 'cause it bothered them.

kuroi
June 11th, 2016, 02:18 AM
I used to have a shaved nape undercut and I'm still growing it out now. I maintained it for a year or so and loved it while I had it but the winter was awfully cold in my neck (scarfs and hats still didn't keep it warm enough). I don't regret it though, I was 19 then and it is some nice rebellious thing I won't get get away later in life. So yeah for the sake of being young and experimenting it's pretty cool for a while, but just prepare for the awkward growing out the first year (I wore my hair down all the time till it fitted in my ponytail/bun.
Like someone pointed out you will loose volume so if your hair is not on the thicker side it can be annoying. There were quite a few pros as well. Washing my hair was so easy and no nape fuzziness to escape my ponytail. I also was not very healthy back then and had a few bald spots in my nape area so that was also hidden this way (until it grew a bit then it was more obvious but I was lucky enough my bf could shave it for me)

Anje
June 11th, 2016, 08:25 AM
Thanks all for the reply!! Anyone just done nape to get rid of whisps and feel clean ?

I've started trimming my nape hairs, because I have a lot of them and they get about 4 inches long and look frizzy and bedraggled most of the time. It's not really an undercut, just a strategic mowing. I think it looks better.

Angela_Rose
June 11th, 2016, 08:46 AM
I've started trimming my nape hairs, because I have a lot of them and they get about 4 inches long and look frizzy and bedraggled most of the time. It's not really an undercut, just a strategic mowing. I think it looks better.

Y'know, I've been thinking of undercutting about an inch or so into my nape. I have the same problems with short, irritating, frizzy, messy fuzz. Since it never gets very long anyway I wouldn't be losing thickness.

SleepyTangles
June 11th, 2016, 09:59 AM
I was considering the same exact hairstyle! What a coincidence :D. I´ll be keeping my eyes open for this thread.
I´m just exitant to do anything to my hair, nowadays. They have been hip lenght since forevah and I´m just scared to mess them up :couch:

patienceneeded
June 11th, 2016, 10:11 AM
I was considering doing an undercut once my pixie has grown out enough to cover the nape. I only want to undercut/buzz the back, not the sides. I have really thick hair, so it wouldn't be noticeable with my hair down. We'll see.

lulikrueger
June 11th, 2016, 11:22 AM
I think the first time I shaved my nape was to cut off damage, so if you plan on shaving your nape or sides, it'd be nice to have a little fun with some crazy colours before it's gone.

Anje
June 11th, 2016, 12:37 PM
Y'know, I've been thinking of undercutting about an inch or so into my nape. I have the same problems with short, irritating, frizzy, messy fuzz. Since it never gets very long anyway I wouldn't be losing thickness.

I've got two sections, one on each side, that make fuzz about 3 inches down my neck to near my collar. My mom has the same. I've tried growing it, but it doesn't ever get long and it does get knots. Usually I take scissors to it and cut it to an inch or so when it becomes a pain, but lately I've started clipping it with one of those little electric safety shaver doodads (like this (https://amzn.com/B007HJ9VFM)) about once a week.

lapushka
June 11th, 2016, 12:40 PM
I don't have any experience with it. Even though I have thicker hair, I am never tempted, because of... I know how pixie cuts and almost shaved cuts feel (itchy and unpleasant). Plus, it grows back like within 2 weeks to a month. There's the upkeep. If you can't do that yourself, you'll be going to a salon every 3 weeks-ish. No, not for me. Too many downsides.

Kome
June 11th, 2016, 01:18 PM
I loved when I had the under cut years ago and also when I had the sides shaved. My only issue is that once you decide to grow it out it is kind of a pain. It doesn't look good and when you put your hair up the hair growing out will hang down all funny like. That is the only thing I did not like.

Kome
June 11th, 2016, 01:27 PM
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk68/kome42/hair%20shaved%202_zpso2lmjmiq.jpg (http://s277.photobucket.com/user/kome42/media/hair%20shaved%202_zpso2lmjmiq.jpg.html)

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk68/kome42/hair%20shaved_zpsuffv3ye9.jpg (http://s277.photobucket.com/user/kome42/media/hair%20shaved_zpsuffv3ye9.jpg.html)

I was REALLY sick with my illness in the second picture, so I feel like I look like crap in it, but that's the only picture I have from when I had both sides shaved and had done it a lot farther back. I have another photo somewhere of when I had part rainbow hair with the side shaved. I'll see if I can find that one too. ^_^

Kome
June 11th, 2016, 01:33 PM
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk68/kome42/SAM_9825_zpsotunoxmy.jpg (http://s277.photobucket.com/user/kome42/media/SAM_9825_zpsotunoxmy.jpg.html)

lulikrueger
June 11th, 2016, 01:45 PM
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk68/kome42/hair%20shaved%202_zpso2lmjmiq.jpg (http://s277.photobucket.com/user/kome42/media/hair%20shaved%202_zpso2lmjmiq.jpg.html)

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk68/kome42/hair%20shaved_zpsuffv3ye9.jpg (http://s277.photobucket.com/user/kome42/media/hair%20shaved_zpsuffv3ye9.jpg.html)

I was REALLY sick with my illness in the second picture, so I feel like I look like crap in it, but that's the only picture I have from when I had both sides shaved and had done it a lot farther back. I have another photo somewhere of when I had part rainbow hair with the side shaved. I'll see if I can find that one too. ^_^

Do you have a widow's peak or was it just shaved that way? Looks really nice and interesting! If it was possible for my hairline to look like that I'd totally do it!

lapushka
June 11th, 2016, 01:55 PM

I was wondering about that, thinking, "my, she looks so pale". It reminds me of when I used to bleed heavy on my period and had major iron shortage because of it. I looked pale as hell the first day. People used to ask me if I was okay all the time those first days.

librarychick
June 11th, 2016, 02:21 PM
My younger sister did an undercut for about a year I think. She didn't shave it, just buzzed it short straight across from earlobe to earlobe. The rest of her hair was about chin length-ish (give or take, depending on when she'd been for a trim) and it was cute as heck! She's got a very similar texture to me, with a bit more curl. It was adorable. She just buzzed it all short (I think she's been having a mid-twenties crisis the past year or so...) and that looks very cute on her too.

I don't think I could pull it off, I'm too straight-laced naturally to really own it. I'm also very partial to my own hair at all one length - I had a few layers put in one trim ago and regretted it despite my hairdresser being amazing. I thought I'd like it, but didn't. Her work was perfect.

karenpetal
June 11th, 2016, 02:53 PM
Thanks all - good advice and experience ... I have thick hair on the sides - I am thinking of doing a buzz about 2 inches in ... Any experience with shapes ? I have seen some really cool designs - I am thinking of heart shape

We keep close eye on this thread and responses

rhosyn_du
June 12th, 2016, 01:45 AM
One thing I haven't seen anyone mention is that if you buzz all the way to the skin, the very short hairs you get a couple weeks later can act like velcro, snagging and catching pieces of your longer hair. I really liked the way my side undercut looked, but I couldn't deal with how much it snagged the rest of my hair.

lulikrueger
June 12th, 2016, 04:12 AM
One thing I haven't seen anyone mention is that if you buzz all the way to the skin, the very short hairs you get a couple weeks later can act like velcro, snagging and catching pieces of your longer hair. I really liked the way my side undercut looked, but I couldn't deal with how much it snagged the rest of my hair.

Oh, YES. This is definitely a thing. Buzzed all the way once and learned my lesson. Never. Again.
It does look badass, though.

ellarina
July 26th, 2016, 11:54 AM
Currently have an undercut (sorry for current lack of pictures, I'm a new member) that's about 4 inches on my nape (stops just below the top of my ears) and it's been the best decision of my life. My hair lies smoother and flatter on the back of my head, which is something I've always wanted. I wear my hair down for the most part anyway, so I can still look "professional" to older generations at my workplace. Haven't had it through a winter yet, but for general maintenance and up keep of my hair, it's been phenomenal. Only downside has been the maintenance of it. Shaved hair is incredibly itchy and gets everywhere. But I use a thick headband (like from walmart) and set it on the "part" of the undercut, grab a pair of clippers and do it myself. It keeps the line neat and the headband prevents any run-away clippers accidents into the body of my hair.

Anje
July 26th, 2016, 12:00 PM
Currently have an undercut (sorry for current lack of pictures, I'm a new member) that's about 4 inches on my nape (stops just below the top of my ears) and it's been the best decision of my life. My hair lies smoother and flatter on the back of my head, which is something I've always wanted. I wear my hair down for the most part anyway, so I can still look "professional" to older generations at my workplace. Haven't had it through a winter yet, but for general maintenance and up keep of my hair, it's been phenomenal. Only downside has been the maintenance of it. Shaved hair is incredibly itchy and gets everywhere. But I use a thick headband (like from walmart) and set it on the "part" of the undercut, grab a pair of clippers and do it myself. It keeps the line neat and the headband prevents any run-away clippers accidents into the body of my hair.

Oh, I like that headband trick. My hair isn't thick enough that reducing thickness is tempting to me, but I'd be sure to try that if it were!

nijimei
August 18th, 2016, 02:09 PM
karenpetal, are you planning on doing the cut/designs yourself? Asking because I'm curious, mostly

In answer to your question about shapes, I also think a lot of "hair tattoo" undercut designs look awesome, but I know rationally that after just a few weeks the designs are totally lost with hair growth. One design that can still look cool growing out though is a chevron cut like this:
http://stayglam.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/brianprimetime1.jpg

I've seen it IRL grown out and the contrast between the longer and shorter (originally totally buzzed) parts of the hair are still apparent. I definitely wouldn't be able to do any design on my own though! I am definitely thinking of giving myself an undercut as well, mostly as heat/thickness management, but I want to grow out my overall length a little bit first.

Giant Robot
August 18th, 2016, 09:05 PM
I first joined LHC because I needed support while growing out a mohawk. There is no more stupid look for someone with wavy or curly hair than a growing-out mohawk - imagine a mullet but with sides that stick out like Bozo the Clown.

Do what you must, but be aware that the short parts are way more maintenance than the long parts.

sommer
September 29th, 2016, 04:59 PM
Hi !! I have been itching to try out a style I have seen some ppl around the area I love carry off. Wanted to know any advice or experience you might have.

I have been growing my hair for 25 months after the big chop to get rid of splits and damages. I am between APL and BSL one length hair and mostly do a ponytails or buns (high).

What has been your experience with undercuts ?
What type of undercut nape vs side vs Mohawk ?
Tips for hair care and maintenance welcome and any cautions welcomed

I think it's a very cool idea! :) I've never tried them on my head but I think I wished to do this thing... It just sounds too extreme for me :D
Anyway I can recommend you to look thorugh this gallery for the ideas of Mohawks, they're universal both for men and women http://machohairstyles.com/best-mohawk-haircut/ ;) And they aren't so complicated to do as I know :)

One of my friends had such type of Mohawk on his head and from his tales I understood that the main difficulties with them are keeping the shape of the cut (because hair grow rather fast) and a funny look after for some time if you decide to grow all the hair again :)

http://machohairstyles.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Blonde-Spiky-Perfection.jpg

Kajzh
September 30th, 2016, 09:40 AM
Heh, my boyfriend has a side cut and hasn't shaved the sides back down in months. He asked me to do it for him, but I was too scared!

After reading the tips in this thread, though, I feel more confident. :)

strawberryfine
June 17th, 2021, 12:21 PM
I had undercut sides. It's miserable growing them out. Loved it at first but grew tired of it.
As for growing it out, I kept the perimeter tried till the top part thickened a bit but not entirely all one length to the perimeter. Now I can put most of it behind my ears.Once I can do that I'm hoping it won't be too noticeable but it looks pretty wonky about now. The rest is blunt cut at not quite chin length and I have bangs growing out as well. The bangs are easy to hide by slicking them back with clips. My immediate goal is to get several more inches of length and maintain that until its all one length blunt cut.I won't say absolutely don't undercut but just realize that if you do get sides undercut and you then decide to grow it back out It's a long and pretty miserable experience and your hair will look quite wonky while you're growing it back out. If you feel an undercut must be something you just have to experience and you find the urge to desperate to resist I would respectively urge you to try an undercut nape not too far up as this appears to me to be much easier to grow out especially if you don't mind keeping your length quite short. Hope this helps someone!