PDA

View Full Version : Baby hairs ruin the smooth look of straight hair

markay23
June 9th, 2016, 05:06 PM
Hello everyone,
First I will write a little background about my hair. I've always had jet-straight and smooth hair. When I was 15 I started dying it but I stopped at 17 and decided to grow out my natural again (I've missed it). Im all natural now, but SO disappointed! My hair is not even the same color it used to be. It used to be a light brown and now it's just brown. Anyway.

My main source of sadness are the hundreds of flyaways that ruin the smooth look of my natural hair. I went through a massive hair loss period 3 years ago and I have new growth but it doesnt seem to become normal hair anytime soon. i even have these crazy wiry crinkled hairs that come out of nowhere. It used to be silky smooth and now it looks like curly hair that has been straightened :( I feel like crying when I see photos of how wonderful my hair used to look like.http://i68.tinypic.com/osxy6h.jpg

I believe my stress levels have risen a lot since I was 15 (im 21 now) but I just wish my old hair could just come back. I eat healthy and use natural products on my hair. I rarely use heat and I air dry it but nothing seems to work. Am I doomed for eternity??
Thanks for reading this wall of text! I could use some help. This is a photo of my hair after it's been freshly washed and air-dried. (conditioned too) http://i68.tinypic.com/29vnpdl.jpghttp://i64.tinypic.com/59zivl.jpg

yahirwaO.o
June 9th, 2016, 05:36 PM
I dont have a real suggestion really. My hair also used to lay down nicer. a lot straighter and smooth when I was in my teens. My hair is pretty much the same like yours. Straight with those annoying flyways that not oil, serum or hairspray seems to completely get rid of (its just looks limp when I apply them really). Sometimes they are pretty bad (Hermione awkward hair), some days it's pretty subtle and some days my hair looks almost flat ironed.

I also had very bad shedding and now is fuly recovering. Definitely keep an eye on these thread! :D

..... and I think your hair is completly gorgeous by the way! :o

Frankenstein
June 9th, 2016, 05:39 PM
This was a huge irritation for me too until I finally just started trying to ignore it. Have you tried oils or serums to smooth the hairs down? This doesn't really work for me but others have reported that it helps. Also, you might find that as those hairs get longer, they'll "settle down" and won't stick out so much. Although that takes a lot of patience, trust me I know :lol:

markay23
June 9th, 2016, 06:18 PM
I dont have a real suggestion really. My hair also used to lay down nicer. a lot straighter and smooth when I was in my teens. My hair is pretty much the same like yours. Straight with those annoying flyways that not oil, serum or hairspray seems to completely get rid of (its just looks limp when I apply them really). Sometimes they are pretty bad (Hermione awkward hair), some days it's pretty subtle and some days my hair looks almost flat ironed.

I also had very bad shedding and now is fuly recovering. Definitely keep an eye on these thread! :D

..... and I think your hair is completly gorgeous by the way! :o

Thank you dearly <3 argh i find it so irritating because i remember brushing, blow drying my hair and even with high humidity it stayed nice. I never expected this! I wont get used to this anytime soon. Hope we find some salvation

markay23
June 9th, 2016, 06:21 PM
This was a huge irritation for me too until I finally just started trying to ignore it. Have you tried oils or serums to smooth the hairs down? This doesn't really work for me but others have reported that it helps. Also, you might find that as those hairs get longer, they'll "settle down" and won't stick out so much. Although that takes a lot of patience, trust me I know :lol:

I am suuuper patient with my hair, I've been growing out my natural for 3 years only to find that my hair is not the same anymore! I dont use serums to smooth them out because they are mostly around my scalp and I have quite oily hair.. And they just dont grow! And even the ones that grow they dont matter, because I still have some hair loss and then new growth and its like an endless cycle.. :(

Decoy24601
June 9th, 2016, 06:22 PM
I have the same issue. My hair looks very similar to yours in texture, thickness, but mine is maybe a little wavier overall. My flyaways are also split ends, so it makes my hair look very frizzy even though it's fairly straight. How often do you wash/shampoo your hair? I shampoo 1-2 times a week and use R&B by LUSH (it has avocado butter as well as a lot of other nourishing ingredients) on my wet hair after I shower. It leaves my hair feeling much smoother with less flyaways by the next day. It's expensive, but a little goes a long way and it lasts a long time because of that.

markay23
June 9th, 2016, 06:29 PM
I have the same issue. My hair looks very similar to yours in texture, thickness, but mine is maybe a little wavier overall. My flyaways are also split ends, so it makes my hair look very frizzy even though it's fairly straight. How often do you wash/shampoo your hair? I shampoo 1-2 times a week and use R&B by LUSH (it has avocado butter as well as a lot of other nourishing ingredients) on my wet hair after I shower. It leaves my hair feeling much smoother with less flyaways by the next day. It's expensive, but a little goes a long way and it lasts a long time because of that.

I have quite oily hair so I have to wash it every second day if I want to go out and look presentable, when I have nowhere to go I leave it in its natural oils for a day or two until I need to wash it! I'm currently using the OI line of Davines, its a shampoo, hair mask and leave-in treatment, it cost me 50$ the whole set but its worth it, when I use all 3 it makes my hair look better than ever! I just find it sad that I have to try so much for my hair to look nice.. I remember using a random drugstore shampoo, blow drying my hair, and it was ready to go.. Adulthood sucks.

Decoy24601
June 9th, 2016, 06:42 PM
I have quite oily hair so I have to wash it every second day if I want to go out and look presentable, when I have nowhere to go I leave it in its natural oils for a day or two until I need to wash it! I'm currently using the OI line of Davines, its a shampoo, hair mask and leave-in treatment, it cost me 50$ the whole set but its worth it, when I use all 3 it makes my hair look better than ever! I just find it sad that I have to try so much for my hair to look nice.. I remember using a random drugstore shampoo, blow drying my hair, and it was ready to go.. Adulthood sucks.

I have very oily hair too, but I find that using water only every day I don't shampoo/condition helps to keep my hair from looking greasy, coupled with a corn-starch based dry shampoo (use it at night so it doesn't leave your hair looking white). The only thing I've found that reliable weighs down my flyaways without making it look greasy is either silicone (which doesn't agree with my hair) or the hair moisturizer I mentioned (and my hair loves those butters and waxes). My hair isn't your hair though, so your hair/scalp might hate this. I'm a person who needs to use sulfate shampoos without cones in order to fully cut through the grease around my roots and scalp, which lets me go longer without using shampoo, but that could have the opposite effect on you.

My hair has been like this since I was about 12, which was when something happened in my life to cause severe stress until I was about 18 (I'm 19 now). My hair was so healthy as a kid, but it was also shorter (since, you know, I was shorter). If I look at the strands of my hair about 6-12 inches down is all healthy hair and anything below that is very unhealthy looking and gets so thin in places that it causes the hair to break off, which I think had to do with stress during the time that hair grew.

MidnightMoon
June 9th, 2016, 07:00 PM
Im probably no help but I actually like the look of hair that way. Looks natural, soft, ethereal... Pin straight hair sometimes looks boring, or common, like those of eeeverybody who straightens it. About the colour, if youre really unhappy you could experiment with semipermanent dyes which dont damage hair or get some tiny highlights. you wouldnt have to constantly redye it and could be enough to give you back the confidence in it you lack. Brown hair can easily be lightened to a light brown or dark blonde. I think it looks great, it will look even better when theres a lot of it and you can appreciate the light reflecting on it, the various shades brown hair can achieve depending on the light, looking like a princess, the variations of colour because of the sun and passing of time, etc.

Blissful337
June 9th, 2016, 07:08 PM
I don't have a solution but I just wanted to say I have the same issue. You're not alone! I'm trying to just ignore it so it doesn't bother me as much. When I look in the mirror it doesn't bother me but when I look at my hair in pictures I see it and get annoyed. I don't know if these hairs are broken hairs or new growth.

MINAKO
June 9th, 2016, 07:17 PM
Markay, imthat's not necessarily an unusual or unhealthy thing. Hairloss can contribute to more detectable newgrowth but even in normal times there always is some. My first thought would actually be that your hairtype changed and you simply are not used to it. Maybe it got coarse, maybe slightly wavier or maybe both which is very often the case especially as it fits the timeframe of puberty. Looking at your pictures i would actually have said that's between a 1b and c, definitely not a 1a.
It could be that the products you use simply hold the mayority of your hair back from waving ip so only the really strong ones in the top layer do. you can expiriment on this with alot of different products and styling techniques (smoothing ingredients, hair wrapping, fan drying, or cone free and finger combing and so on...) to achieve on or the other i guess.

Groovy Granny
June 9th, 2016, 09:59 PM
My hair is like that ~ new growth from my crown through the entire length.
YAY for new growth...it could be worse :wink:

Sometimes a spritz of hairspray with a BBB helps; other times bunning smooths it.

Like some others, I have come to ignore it!

Stay away from mirrors and window reflections and it won't bother you....and eventually it will grow out...until the NEXT CROP :laugh:

I think your hair looks nice :)

nekosan
June 9th, 2016, 10:31 PM
Another person who has the same issue - little hairs at all different lengths. It's just the way my hair grows.

lapushka
June 10th, 2016, 04:02 AM
Join the wispy hair club, you'll feel much better in a little, well kinda big, ;) support club:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131555

The hairs will catch up, but it might take some time.

And then still, you'll always have a number of hairs with different lengths on your head, it's only normal.

diddiedaisy
June 10th, 2016, 05:33 AM
Mines like that all the time. I think if you have hair with even a bit of wave it just won't lie flat and blend in. It is very annoying, but new growth is good and also nobody else probably notices it. Your hair looks completely normal to me.

markay23
June 11th, 2016, 05:23 PM
Thanks for all the answers girls, I totally agree with you that this is natural and maybe not too obvious but they are super obvious to me.. especially because its something new to me! I started doing coconut oil treatments again so i hope i will see an improvement. I believe that this is also a cause of hair loss.. If you lose hair all the time, there will be new growth=equal these wispy hairs. I started taking some vitamins so my hair stays on my head. Kisses <3

spidermom
June 11th, 2016, 06:01 PM
Yup, I got 'em, too. A bit of styling gel mixed with a little water between palms and stroked down the surface of the hair smooths it out quite a lot, until the wind hits it that is.

yogagirl
June 11th, 2016, 07:37 PM
I wonder if a silk pillowcase will help the appearance of the little hairs. Make them stick out less.

A cone heavy conditioner might help as well. When I used Joice Moisture Recovery it really reduced my waves and made my hair look sleeker.

yahirwaO.o
June 11th, 2016, 09:26 PM
I wonder if a silk pillowcase will help the appearance of the little hairs. Make them stick out less.

A cone heavy conditioner might help as well. When I used Joice Moisture Recovery it really reduced my waves and made my hair look sleeker.

I think i'm investing in at least a fake silky pillowcase. Im the king of flyways in the morning and maybe to much friction is breaking my hair or rough it up. My hair is fine but I've never really had an issue with breakage. I've tried everything about those bits sticking out and only flat ironing them helps (of course this is a very temporal not good solution).

I hadn't found a heavy conditioner in this world that promise to leave my hair soft without being a lank limp mess afterwards!

yahirwaO.o
June 11th, 2016, 09:31 PM
Markay, imthat's not necessarily an unusual or unhealthy thing. Hairloss can contribute to more detectable newgrowth but even in normal times there always is some. My first thought would actually be that your hairtype changed and you simply are not used to it. Maybe it got coarse, maybe slightly wavier or maybe both which is very often the case especially as it fits the timeframe of puberty. Looking at your pictures i would actually have said that's between a 1b and c, definitely not a 1a.
It could be that the products you use simply hold the mayority of your hair back from waving ip so only the really strong ones in the top layer do. you can expiriment on this with alot of different products and styling techniques (smoothing ingredients, hair wrapping, fan drying, or cone free and finger combing and so on...) to achieve on or the other i guess.

MINAKO is absolutly right. First your hair looked great in the first pic but it was not a 1A at all, I suposse you curl it and then it felt down. And yes hairtypes changes as bad or good as it sounds. My hair was a real solid 1A in my chilhood, 1B in my teens and now I seem to have some wavies happening to be. This is great because it has given so much body when I brush and after so many sheddings it's not that bad. But frizzies are there and like others, I sort of try to ignore them or tame them as much as I can!

languagenut
June 11th, 2016, 11:59 PM
Markay, have you changed your place of residence significantly during that period? I've noticed that my hair is fairly smooth here in Colorado, but whenever I go to Oregon the baby hairs curl up and cause a frizzy appearance. Humidity and stuff affecting it.

markay23
June 12th, 2016, 02:18 AM
Markay, have you changed your place of residence significantly during that period? I've noticed that my hair is fairly smooth here in Colorado, but whenever I go to Oregon the baby hairs curl up and cause a frizzy appearance. Humidity and stuff affecting it.

I live in a different city of my country for the past 3 years but im not sure if thats the case..