PDA

View Full Version : Swimming

calmyogi
June 9th, 2016, 03:17 PM
So I'm pretty sure I have seen something on this subject before but didnt find it this time. I really like to swim and have avoided it the last couple of years in hopes of growing my hair healthy so my question is is it possible to swim almost daily and still have healthy hair? What are some products and routines that will help prevent damage?

eadwine
June 9th, 2016, 03:19 PM
Yup, just make sure to rinse it afterwards.

The pool I swim in isn't a standard chlorine pool but a pool like this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_water_chlorination. MUCH less heavy on the chlorine. :)

calmyogi
June 9th, 2016, 03:24 PM
Yup, just make sure to rinse it afterwards.

The pool I swim in isn't a standard chlorine pool but a pool like this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_water_chlorination. MUCH less heavy on the chlorine. :)

I have been hearing about salt water pools a lot lately. Sadly I live in a homeowners association neighborhood so I have no control over the pool :(

Kherome
June 9th, 2016, 04:28 PM
Just wet your hair first.

lithostoic
June 9th, 2016, 04:40 PM
When I was 12ish my aunt told me to soak my hair in conditioner before getting into the pool to avoid chlorine staining. I'm sure it wards off damage too.

Kherome
June 9th, 2016, 04:43 PM
Usually that is against pool rules because it's bad for the water/filter.

calmyogi
June 9th, 2016, 04:51 PM
i wonder if a good coat, but not like dropping would be so bad?

Nique1202
June 9th, 2016, 04:52 PM
I can understand not wanting to risk damaging the filtering system with potential contaminants. If you don't want to put conditioner or oil in your hair before you go, the best you can probably do is rinse your hair first (making sure it's soaked through with standard water), wear a swim cap that fits over your whole hair (or I've seen suggestions to overlap two if the hair is particularly bulky), and rinse again after swimming. That should get you out of a good chunk of the potential risk. You still might get a little damage over the whole summer, but you can always revise your routine if you notice any problems.

Kherome
June 9th, 2016, 05:10 PM
i wonder if a good coat, but not like dropping would be so bad?

No different, it'll still contaminate the pool. Wear a swim cap.

calmyogi
June 9th, 2016, 05:40 PM
I can understand not wanting to risk damaging the filtering system with potential contaminants. If you don't want to put conditioner or oil in your hair before you go, the best you can probably do is rinse your hair first (making sure it's soaked through with standard water), wear a swim cap that fits over your whole hair (or I've seen suggestions to overlap two if the hair is particularly bulky), and rinse again after swimming. That should get you out of a good chunk of the potential risk. You still might get a little damage over the whole summer, but you can always revise your routine if you notice any problems.

Are there any swim caps that seem to work the best? I have one I got at wal mart last year but I didn't like it much and my hair still got soaked.

Kherome
June 9th, 2016, 05:48 PM
This one is great https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W98NDXC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

meteor
June 9th, 2016, 05:53 PM
^ There are special long-hair swim caps, like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czj4DOl6UO4

For trying to keep hair somewhat dry, you could try wearing 2 swim caps - that might give you enough barrier to make a difference.

A couple other suggestions:

1) Preferably use unchlorinated swimming pools

2) Coconut oil soak pre-pool to reduce uptake of water with minerals, and soak hair in fresh water and conditioner;

3) After the pool, try to use a swimmers' or chelating shampoo or a chelating pack (e.g. Ion) periodically. And rinsing post-pool hair thoroughly with fresh water for a couple minutes before adding shampoo allows any water soluble chemicals from the pool to be rinsed away.

4) Deep condition after, if you can.

Happy swimming! :cheer:

calmyogi
June 9th, 2016, 06:08 PM
This one is great https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W98NDXC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you! I ordered some of these so I'll be giving them a go as soon as they get here.

calmyogi
June 9th, 2016, 06:11 PM
^ There are special long-hair swim caps, like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czj4DOl6UO4

For trying to keep hair somewhat dry, you could try wearing 2 swim caps - that might give you enough barrier to make a difference.

A couple other suggestions:

1) Preferably use unchlorinated swimming pools

2) Coconut oil soak pre-pool to reduce uptake of water with minerals, and soak hair in fresh water and conditioner;

3) After the pool, try to use a swimmers' or chelating shampoo or a chelating pack (e.g. Ion) periodically. And rinsing post-pool hair thoroughly with fresh water for a couple minutes before adding shampoo allows any water soluble chemicals from the pool to be rinsed away.

4) Deep condition after, if you can.

Happy swimming! :cheer:

Thank you meteor! I follow her on YouTube too :)

I got some of the ion shampoo at Sally's yesterday and my hair has thanked me for it. It was starting to get really tangly and I had went to go pull my hair up at work after it was down a little and I had a legit dread forming. That's saying a lot since my hair doesn't usually tangle that bad that easily haha.

Kelikea
June 9th, 2016, 07:39 PM
Personally, I don't see how a little bit of conditioner or oil in your hair, especially if you also wear a cap, would affect the water much more than the product in other people's hair (mousse, hairspray, etc). Consider also sunscreen, many contain vegetable oil, and body lotion. You know not everyone is taking a soapy shower right before jumping in.

lithostoic
June 9th, 2016, 09:00 PM
My bad, never been to a public pool. Getting your hair wet with water first should work too. Do they have showers there?

eadwine
June 10th, 2016, 01:42 AM
I have been hearing about salt water pools a lot lately. Sadly I live in a homeowners association neighborhood so I have no control over the pool :(

Well, neither do I. But if one is within traveling distance I would go for it.

Kherome
June 10th, 2016, 07:43 AM
Personally, I don't see how a little bit of conditioner or oil in your hair, especially if you also wear a cap, would affect the water much more than the product in other people's hair (mousse, hairspray, etc). Consider also sunscreen, many contain vegetable oil, and body lotion. You know not everyone is taking a soapy shower right before jumping in.

But it does affect the pool, and if you don't own the pool, it's rather unethical to not follow the rules. You'll be costing someone money if you mess up the pool. Also, you really can't wet or condition the hair if you're going to wear a cap, as it's super difficult to get the cap to stay on over wet hair IME.

calmyogi
June 10th, 2016, 09:57 AM

I understand what your saying and I believe your probably right. I can see sunscreen floating all around me when I get in a pool after applying it. And most people do have products and junk on themselves already, makeup, hair products, lotion. Etc.

Hairkay
June 10th, 2016, 10:36 AM

That is one of the reasons public pools post guidelines and provide showers to be used before entering the pool. A plain warm water shower can remove a lot.

I'm a weekly swimmer. I just use one of those long hair swimming caps. I don't put it on until after I've showered making sure my braided/plaited hair is wet then I'll put the cap on. After my swim I'll thoroughly rinse my hair complete with head massage and scritching them proceed to condition it with a food hair mask. That means I'll be sitting around for 10 minutes with babyfood in my hair. I'm allergic to soaps, shampoos and manufactured conditioners so this is what works for me. Then another rinse and shower and I'm all finished. I only have to dress, unplait/unbraid hair, detangle and style/plait/braid my hair with a little oil on the hair ends and all is well. Oh and I air dry it.

genlilliana
June 10th, 2016, 11:28 AM
I wear a swim cap most of the time...they make all kinds of designer ones now. I don't care what people think anymore - it's my prerogative! The swim cap is great.

dulce
June 11th, 2016, 10:26 AM
I swim daily for 1-2 hrs,I do waterfit classes and laps.I do not wear a cap as they give me headaches.It's an ozone pool at a rec center.I put it in a thick coated elastic pony,then in a bun with a Crockett mountain woodworks acrylic fork..After swimming I use a swim shampoo,and a deep conditioner,then a detangle spray with a wide tooth comb.And I then air dry or use a floor fan.Have been doing this for almost a year now and no damage at all to my hair.I also don't dye which probably makes it easier,as coloured hair with chlorine can be a problem sometimes?