PDA

View Full Version : The "slow hair growth club"

summergame
June 9th, 2016, 11:57 AM
Please enjoy the club when you have a slow hairgrowth. Mine grows less than 1 cm a month. We can cheer up each other and let's forget the loooong time our hair needs to growth to reach our milestone!

MariaPon
June 9th, 2016, 02:19 PM
Not being able to measure on my own, I either have slowly-growing hair or I'm looking at it so much that I just don't notice it.. Either way, frustration all the way haha

luxurioushair
June 9th, 2016, 04:34 PM
Please enjoy the club when you have a slow hairgrowth. Mine grows less than 1 cm a month. We can cheer up each other and let's forget the loooong time our hair needs to growth to reach our milestone!
Did you try drinking a lot of water everyday?

summergame
June 10th, 2016, 09:27 AM
Did you try drinking a lot of water everyday?

Yes I do drink much water! :)

ShDiHa
June 10th, 2016, 11:35 AM
I think I have slow growing hair. I cut my hair into a just below chin bob in 2011, right after high school. My friend got a pixie in 2013. Her hair is now past waist. My hair is just at BSL.

Savvyhorsez
June 14th, 2016, 04:00 AM
I think I need to join, my hair only grew an inch this past year. :(

gustavonut
June 14th, 2016, 04:15 AM
I belong here! I was supposed to be BSL last Christmas and am still floating around APL :(

Rhodugune
June 14th, 2016, 05:39 AM
Oh this is a group for me as I also only get about 1 cm in growth per month, have for years and years so it has sadly has no other reason then genetics.

I have been growing my hair long all my life, at first it didn't get longer then waist as I went to the hairdressers too often, them telling me that I had to trim that often and that much.

Then I stopped going and that made my hair slowly reach about tailbone length, but in a sad state as I didn't know anything about caring for long hair, how to protect it from mechanical damage.

I found LHC about 5 years ago and I learned finally how to take better care of it and I almost reached fingertip length, but then life happened, had too much on my plate to have the energy to properly take care of it even though I knew how and I had to cut back to somewhere above tailbone to get rid of the damage of wearing it down too often.

Here I am today, well last month, just about to take a my monthly length shot in the next few days.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23513&d=1465903745

This is my hair length in August last year after having trimmed a few inches off.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20059&d=1448479824

I have since then done a little trim in April.
Before
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22796&d=1462029740

After
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22797&d=1462029764

It helps me to see that it does grow, taking monthly pics as it doesn't feel that it does get any longer.

Arctic
June 14th, 2016, 05:55 AM
I have hair that grows about 1 cm a month (which of course is the avarage, so in a hair growth context it's actually not even slow but normal), very consistently, although this spring I seemed to have few months of a bit faster growth - or perhaps it was that I wasn't really thinking of my hair.

I trim often and am tall with long distances between milestones, so it usually appears to grow like molasses. With minimal/no trimming milestones will take about a year to reach. My hair doesn't do well with no trimming, and since I like fresh ends anyway, I try not to fret over it - if it gains length and conquers milestones pretty slowly, so be it. I think I might gain something like 10-8 cm a year on avarage, after trimming is reduced. I have been trying to opt more for dustings than trimming, but it seems like if I go too long time with dusting only - even if it is very regular - my ends suffer.

I sometimes imagine what life would be like with fast growing hair, and as someone who has had short or shortish hair most of her life, I think it would be annoying when trying to maintain a shape.

Anyway, my best advice is to enjoy our hair, to not concentrate on the growth, and to take as good care of it as you know how/are willing to (I for example, draw the line on sleeping caps and sating pillow cases, ha ha).

yvsa
June 14th, 2016, 06:01 AM
I've got slow growth. I also trim to much but i'm getting out of that habit (only trimmed once this year,:cool:). But still..... my hair grows slow. Absolutely no more than 1 cm a month. So i'm experiencing difficulty with growing out of akward stages... In the past couple of years i've never past shoulder length. But i try to stay positive: summer is coming and i will try to enjoy my "between chin and shoulder length" hair. And then by the time winter is coming my hair will be solid shoulder length. Hopefully:lala:.

chen bao jun
June 14th, 2016, 05:45 PM
Oh this is a group for me as I also only get about 1 cm in growth per month, have for years and years so it has sadly has no other reason then genetics.

I have been growing my hair long all my life, at first it didn't get longer then waist as I went to the hairdressers too often, them telling me that I had to trim that often and that much.

Then I stopped going and that made my hair slowly reach about tailbone length, but in a sad state as I didn't know anything about caring for long hair, how to protect it from mechanical damage.

I found LHC about 5 years ago and I learned finally how to take better care of it and I almost reached fingertip length, but then life happened, had too much on my plate to have the energy to properly take care of it even though I knew how and I had to cut back to somewhere above tailbone to get rid of the damage of wearing it down too often.

Here I am today, well last month, just about to take a my monthly length shot in the next few days.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23513&d=1465903745

This is my hair length in August last year after having trimmed a few inches off.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20059&d=1448479824

I have since then done a little trim in April.
Before
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22796&d=1462029740

After
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22797&d=1462029764

It helps me to see that it does grow, taking monthly pics as it doesn't feel that it does get any longer.

You are actually a great encouragement to me. I love your hair!

I don't know what 1 cm. is in inches. Mine grows about 1/4 inch a month, so far as I can tell. That's not much but at least it grows. It's also curly, so it takes a while to see the growth. But as I said, at least it grows.

I am inching towards waist here. Most of the people who joined LHC around the same I did hit waist two years ago and a lot no longer post. but on the other hand, my hair is now mid-back, which its never been before--and it is definitely growing.

Arctic
June 15th, 2016, 01:49 AM
Chen, 1 cm is (slightly less than) ~0.4 inches. And 0.25 inches would be (little over) ~0,6 cm.

Lol, those who joined same time as me with approx same length hair as I had, are around the calf region today :D (namely, Hypnotica!). Of course then we are talking about mostly about effect of trimming and cutting and even chopping I have done and not growth.

summergame
June 15th, 2016, 04:40 AM
The ones that started with me are now classic or beyond that. But I've also cut it several times because it weighted to much. Now I have a lightly weighted hairdoss.

Rhodugune
June 15th, 2016, 09:57 AM
You are actually a great encouragement to me. I love your hair!

I don't know what 1 cm. is in inches. Mine grows about 1/4 inch a month, so far as I can tell. That's not much but at least it grows. It's also curly, so it takes a while to see the growth. But as I said, at least it grows.

I am inching towards waist here. Most of the people who joined LHC around the same I did hit waist two years ago and a lot no longer post. but on the other hand, my hair is now mid-back, which its never been before--and it is definitely growing.

Oh thank you so much, you gave me the biggest smile telling me that and 1 cm is about 0.39inches.

spirals
June 15th, 2016, 10:02 AM
I don't know if mine is slow-growing or if it seems so because of breakage. I joined 4 years ago (hairiversary this month) and it's gone from 16" (40.64 cm) to 31" (78.74 cm). There's a 9-inch discrepancy between how much growth I've gained and how much I should have. I've had a few trims, but I don't know if it's 9 inches worth. Further, I rarely measure and I don't keep track at all. So I'm just guessing.

Katia_k
June 16th, 2016, 01:56 PM
Mine is also slow. Measuring is also hard because it's puffy and curly. I just had someone measure for me and she made it sound like my hair didn't grow at all, but without seeing it myself I'm not sure if I trust that or not.

Either way, so slow so frustrating.

lapushka
June 16th, 2016, 02:24 PM
Judging from the hair that comes off under my arms every week, I'd say that's about 4 mm of growth, times 4 equals 1.6cm. I think the hair on my head grows a little slower than that. But if you have about 1cm, I wouldn't call it that slow of a growth, I mean the average is half an inch a month, that's not much more than that. Maybe I'm too optimistic. ;)

nakima
June 19th, 2016, 01:31 PM
Rhodugune, I think your hair is really nice! It was once ftl? It would take forever for my hair to get that long ha! my hair grows on average 1/2 inch per month,I know that's average for most but it just seems to take forever for my hair to grow. Also I have fine hair and it tends to break easily so since joining tlc I am learning to take better care of it and things are going much better now. Hoping to make classic by the end of the year.

nakima
June 19th, 2016, 01:39 PM
Mine is also slow. Measuring is also hard because it's puffy and curly. I just had someone measure for me and she made it sound like my hair didn't grow at all, but without seeing it myself I'm not sure if I trust that or not.

Either way, so slow so frustrating.

The way I can tell my hair is gaining length is by measuring it when I pull it around to the front in the shower. It is now past hips when pulled around and it seemed to take forever to get past my bellybutton ha! it's not the #'s just the visual :) I had a friend measure for me a few times and according to her measurments my hair isn't growing at all! so I just do my own thing. I also see where my hair hits my butt and then I just measure from forehead to that point and it seems pretty accurate.

celtic
July 23rd, 2016, 04:45 AM
hi, i think i am a slow hair growth, at almost 50 my hair has taken so long to grow again, cut my hair from tbl to chin back in 2011 and it feels like it has taken forever to grow back to tbl. my hair used to grow like 7 inches in 1 year but this last 5 years it feels like it has grown so slowly. I now do a trim once a year, so i do not know if it is because i stopped trimming three times a year or it is just my age. maybe i need to keep a diary of growth, cuts, trims etc.

Alma Petra
July 26th, 2016, 08:37 AM
Me too my hair grows by about 1 cm per month only. Plus I suffer from a lot of breakage. My hair seems to have no elasticity at all :( I wonder if anybody knows how to improve this.
Moreover, I have very curly hair, type 4a/3c and so even if my hair grows in length, it won't easily show.
I do definitely belong to this club.

lapushka
July 26th, 2016, 10:02 AM
Me too my hair grows by about 1 cm per month only. Plus I suffer from a lot of breakage. My hair seems to have no elasticity at all :( I wonder if anybody knows how to improve this.
Moreover, I have very curly hair, type 4a/3c and so even if my hair grows in length, it won't easily show.
I do definitely belong to this club.

Do you do protein treatments once in a while (not too much, like once a month is enough)?

Alma Petra
July 26th, 2016, 01:58 PM
I have done gelatin treatments but they didn't seem to do anything to my hair. Then I recently tried a commercial treatment with hydrolyzed wheat protein and it made my hair very rough to the touch and now I'm not sure if I should try again with a different product or if my hair hates protein..

Arctic
July 26th, 2016, 02:12 PM
No stretching, breakage, dry and rough, not responding to ptotein sounds like protein overload. I'd toss all (!) protein containing products and treatment until the situation imporoves (and then try then again very slowly if needed), and simultanously start a heavy moisturizing programme. It can take a long while before protein overload gets better, even over a month, but with diligent moisturizing your hair should become more balanced again (protein-moisture balanse).

Alma Petra
July 27th, 2016, 11:22 PM
Hmmm what you say makes a lot of sense Arctic. Maybe that's what I should start with. No protein and a lot of moisture. I'll try to look at the ingredients of all my products and see which ones contain protein in order to avoid them for a while.
BTW is honey considered a protein?

Arctic
July 28th, 2016, 04:44 AM
Hmmm what you say makes a lot of sense Arctic. Maybe that's what I should start with. No protein and a lot of moisture. I'll try to look at the ingredients of all my products and see which ones contain protein in order to avoid them for a while.
BTW is honey considered a protein?

No honey is a humectant, meaning it helps moisturize hair (unless person lives in super-super dry climate/air conditions).

Tosca
July 28th, 2016, 06:12 AM
For those wondering what 1cm is in fractionated inches, it is pretty much dead on 3/8 of an inch. 1/2 an inch is 13mm.

Alma Petra
July 29th, 2016, 10:56 PM
Oh good. I was asking because I have a conditioner that I like that contains honey and I was worried that that may mean it contains protein. I'll try to go protein free from now on.

butterfly_dream
July 30th, 2016, 03:40 AM
This is a group for me. I’m only getting about 13 cm of growth per year. (a bit over 5 inches).:(

Arctic
July 30th, 2016, 03:55 AM
Good luck, I hope you get results soon! It might take few weeks for your hair to get in balanse again, so be patient! (If the unbalance would be the other way around, too little protein, it would be much quicker to fix). This has probably been the single most important thing I have learned about my own hair, that it doesn't do well with proteins. When I avoid them most of the time and moisturize a lot it makes my hair feel and behave so nice.

Daydreamer.
July 30th, 2016, 04:02 AM
I'll join, too. I get a small amount of hair growth each month (0.3"?). My fringe gets the least amount growth. I've been trying to grow it since forever.

lapushka
July 30th, 2016, 08:14 AM
This is a group for me. I’m only getting about 13 cm of growth per year. (a bit over 5 inches).:(

That's not bad! :)

butterfly_dream
July 30th, 2016, 09:02 AM
That's not bad! :)

I am happy in any case; at least my hair doesn't split easily. :D

Alma Petra
July 30th, 2016, 11:03 AM
Good luck, I hope you get results soon! It might take few weeks for your hair to get in balanse again, so be patient! (If the unbalance would be the other way around, too little protein, it would be much quicker to fix). This has probably been the single most important thing I have learned about my own hair, that it doesn't do well with proteins. When I avoid them most of the time and moisturize a lot it makes my hair feel and behave so nice.

Thanks a lot! I hope so me too. I wonder how many washes it will take for the rough feeling and dryness to go away.. Would I need to clarify as well? I don't like shampoo because I feel that it strips my hair. I dread having to use it..