PDA

View Full Version : Any longer and it will split </3

Drosmand7
June 9th, 2016, 02:00 AM
:thud:

Hello hello,

Forgive me if this has been asked ( I could not find an exact post for this) but my hair grows out to tailbone and just splits.

I don't use cones, nor dyes, nor anything harsh. I sleep on a silk pillow, hair up all the time in a bun and I always seal using the LOC method - what else is missing?

I hate to think this is my terminal *sigh*. I have been microtrimming but I find that it's to the point where 70% is split by tailbone.

Please, any suggestions as to how I can overcome this hurdle?

-Wishfully watching & waiting

pailin
June 9th, 2016, 02:14 AM
Cones are not necessarily evil. Is there a specific reason you're avoiding them? They can actually help with preventing splits, by making detangling easier, which tends to reduce mechanical damage.

What about protein? If you aren't using any, it might be worth trying; unless you know your hair responds badly to it.

Nique1202
June 9th, 2016, 02:43 AM
I have to agree with pailin on this one. 'Cones are GOOD for long hair. They not only add slip, but they seem to add a protective layer against some of the everyday damage. You can use just a serum or a single 'coney conditioner just whenever you start to notice it wearing off, you don't need to do it every wash or even on a schedule if you know how your hair feels with the single layer and can tell when it's gone and needs more. This way you might be able to avoid having to clarify at all. They can build up (hair may feel dry or like plastic or waxy), but it seems to be mostly from habitual use without clarifying, not "only as needed" which is probably what you need. (Personally, I need two 'coney conditioners and a 'coney serum after every wash, but I also use sulfates so YMMV!)

Also, since I added just a tiny bit of protein to my routine my split ends reduced by a huge amount. I went from about 20 a week down to 2 for a while, though I've gained more than 6 inches since so I'm seeing a few more lately. I use the Herbal Essences Long-Term Relationship shampoo, not the conditioner, and I don't apply it to the length, just let the suds rinse down. It's just a tiiiiny bit of protein left behind after the sulfates do their thing, I only get protein overload every 15 washes or so and I'm pretty sensitive to it in other stuff. As long as you properly treat the length (LOC is great!) the sulfates won't hurt it: the only danger from sulfates is dry hair because they strip out the moisture.

Arctic
June 9th, 2016, 02:50 AM
I don't really have advice for you, other than terminal length has nothing to do with split ends. It means the lengt/time one hair grows from your scalp before it naturally sheds. Whether the hair is all intact from root to tip by the time it sheds, or whether it has been cut, or broken or has developed splits doesn't affect the living parts of the hair inside your scalp, from where it grows.

You may have "false terminal" length if your hair breaks off long before it would reach a natural terminal length, and never grows past certain point.

Stepo_NiNha
June 9th, 2016, 05:34 AM
I agree thats a false terminal. And cones may be your friends not enemies! At least this happens to me. Good luck :)

lapushka
June 9th, 2016, 07:08 AM
Another vote for silicones, at least a serum after washing. Silicones aren't bad. :) Or a good sealing oil on the ends after washing like mineral oil (J&J baby oil) (a few drops is *enough*)!

If you can't manage the splits with S&D, when it's at least half of your hair, you'd be better off with a small trim. Doesn't have to be much, maybe half an inch to an inch, at least to aid you in S&D.

Chromis
June 9th, 2016, 07:47 AM
Could it be old damage that is just now reaching your ends or are the splits throughout your canopy? I always have splits, but very few are right at the hem.

Not everyone needs cones to have long hair. I find they gave me a ton of shedding!

truepeacenik
June 9th, 2016, 10:55 AM
And cones aren't always either/or. I find that occasional use in a targeted section of the end length, they are helpful.
On me, that area is about six inches.
Overall application causes buildup and flattening.

Anje
June 9th, 2016, 11:27 AM
I'm in the "consider old damage" club. You're treating your hair very well now, but were you maybe 5-6 years ago when the stuff at your ends was new? Just because it's breaking at that length right now doesn't mean it always will, if you stick things out. Consider protein and try some silicones to see if they do anything for you. Stick to the protective handling, because it's doing you good even if you're not seeing it in gained length right now.

Personally, I also think tailbone or a bit past is a point where you often need to adjust your methods. Ends that swished out of the way start getting caught between your rear and the back or bottom of chairs. It starts getting hard to comb hair without bringing it forward. Styles often need to be adjusted. Work s l o w l y with your hair, handle it carefully, and be prepared for the fact that things that worked at waist or hip might no longer be ideal at tailbone.

samanthaa
June 9th, 2016, 12:25 PM
I'm in the "consider old damage" club. You're treating your hair very well now, but were you maybe 5-6 years ago when the stuff at your ends was new? Just because it's breaking at that length right now doesn't mean it always will, if you stick things out.

This is a good point. I have hair that has a ton of splits, and I often wonder why because I treat it very well. But to Anje's point, the ends of my hair are at least five+ years old. I definitely haven't treated my hair as well as I treat it now for all five of those years...

I am cone-free too. When I use coney products, I don't notice much of a difference, so I try to stick to products with more natural ingredients (which therefore often don't contain cones) because that's what I personally am comfortable with. But my hair loves protein; for some reason, it seems to help me condition/detangle easier. I definitely think you should experiment to find what your hair likes!

Drosmand7
June 9th, 2016, 11:32 PM
Great advice from everyone! Thank you!!!

Yes I do agree with the old damage concept, the bottom is the last cap of my bleaching/keratin days. Good to know this is only a false terminal and it will pass.

I have 2a/2b hair that acts up with cones sometimes. For some reason it doesn't respond well, that could be just the amount I was using or the way I was using it - I dumped the cones with the sulfates.. could be time to slowly revisit and experiment with the cones in the closet.

And you guys hit it on the nose, the very ends are what are breaking off - probably due to old damage that has been eating away at my hair.

Ah, feel much better now! I have a plan of attack! You guys are the best!! :o:cheese:

spidermom
June 12th, 2016, 09:01 AM
I don't have any old damage; all the length I have now has been grown since I joined LHC (at least 10 years ago). I still struggle with split ends. I was horrified recently to be sitting in the sunlight with a dark background. Splits galore! I couldn't believe my eyes. I'd never be able to snip them all one by one, and if I cut back enough to eliminate the majority of the splits, it would be a good 6 or 7 inches. I want to grow an additional 6 or 7 inches, not cut it.

Anyway, I remember that a couple of stylists have commented that I have porous hair, so I researched it. This is my new plan as a result: use aloe vera gel and coconut oil between washes; use something to help close the hair shaft since my cuticle doesn't lie flat, so I've decided to try cassia because I don't want orange hair from henna, and deep condition regularly with something that gives both protein and moisture.