PDA

View Full Version : Hair in the vacuum cleaner

Misha33
June 8th, 2016, 03:57 PM
Hi all
hope everyone is doing good. Just wondering ,does anyone else has hairs in the vacuum container when they empty it. I usually empty out my vacuum container every week and I have tons of hair in it. Once I wanted to count but that was not easy as they were all tangled up. Is this something normal or a reason to be concerned? 😔

missrandie
June 8th, 2016, 04:00 PM
I've always got hair in my vacuum. As soon as my hair is long enough, it starts wrapping around the beater brush too.

The only way to minimize it is to wear your hair up everywhere in the house, otherwise you will inevitably shed on the carpet. its's life :)

Nique1202
June 8th, 2016, 05:17 PM
The best way I found to avoid hair in the beater bar was to replace my vacuum with one that doesn't have a beater bar to get the hair stuck in. I now have a small canister vacuum that's light, fairly powerful, and doesn't have a beater bar, and it cost under $100.

I still see a lot of hair in the canister but that's pretty normal, my mom wears her hair down a lot at home and I wear mine down as often as not. Any shed hair that you don't comb or brush out is going to fall out at random throughout the day and get left behind when you walk around.

Breanna
June 8th, 2016, 05:19 PM
Hairs always end up on my carpet and then in my vacuum but so far it hasn't caused any problems. But I joke that if we ever got a roomba my hair would kill it ;)

Vrindi
June 8th, 2016, 05:28 PM
I use a rubber broom on the carpets before I vacuum to get most of the hair up first. My hair has destroyed 3 vacuums in 5 years. Hair in the vacuum is normal, although unwanted.

spirals
June 8th, 2016, 08:43 PM
For sure. My last vacuum died because I didn't clean the hair out regularly. I now have a dirt devil lightweight with a round canister and some sort of sponge filter. It's easy to clean. I will say that at this point most of my sheds end up on the bathroom floor and get swept up. I wear my hair up at home often and I didn't when I had the old vacuum. (My hair was shorter and I didn't know about protective styles.)

pailin
June 9th, 2016, 05:11 AM
I don't have a vacuum since I have only tile floors, but I recently took apart the fan because it was making knocking noises, and found it all wrapped up in hair.
It happens, it's normal.

Isilme
June 9th, 2016, 05:16 AM
Hairs always end up on my carpet and then in my vacuum but so far it hasn't caused any problems. But I joke that if we ever got a roomba my hair would kill it ;)

My hair killed my parents' Roomba when I lived at home...Dad had to perform surgery on the wheels but it was never the same again. My hair also tried to strangle the wheels on my office chair, they needed to be helped out of their misery now and again.
I find that with the vacuum cleaner I have now, I have to take off the broad part sometimes and vacuum the hairs with the pipe thingy.

lapushka
June 9th, 2016, 06:56 AM
I pretty much wear my hair up when I'm up, it's down at night, but there's hardly ever a chance of hair getting on the floor here. Detangling always happens over the bathroom sink, so, my mom barely finds a few when she cleans here.

You have to be a little mindful of how you treat your hair, and what you do with it. ;)

Cg
June 9th, 2016, 09:22 AM
I pretty much wear my hair up when I'm up, it's down at night, but there's hardly ever a chance of hair getting on the floor here. Detangling always happens over the bathroom sink, so, my mom barely finds a few when she cleans here.

You have to be a little mindful of how you treat your hair, and what you do with it. ;)

Precisely. I too am very careful, but to be proactive, after every vacuuming I check the visible machine parts.

yahirwaO.o
June 9th, 2016, 03:56 PM
Well its a very cultural thing I suposse. I dont own a vacuum, plain old sweeper and yes there is a lot of hair. I have a carpet and totally despise it because I often find a lot of hair both mine and from my two kitties. To me its a lot easier removing it or not having a carpet at all, then do my daily sweeping magic to remove dirt, dust and of course hair.
Its rather traumatic to see so much hair that makes me feel wrong and gross if I dont clean the carpet (which also totally hate).

sumidha
June 9th, 2016, 07:33 PM
Nope. I wear my hair up all the time. Lots of random loose hairs around the house honestly kind of grosses me out.

EdG
June 9th, 2016, 08:48 PM
I rake up as many shed hairs as possible before running the vacuum cleaner. After vacuuming, I disassemble the vacuum cleaner to remove shed hairs wrapped around the beater brush.

My theory is that vacuum cleaners are designed by bald men. :lol:
Ed

Hairkay
June 10th, 2016, 03:54 AM
I'm not fond of vacuum cleaners because of the noise and having to deal with a cloud of dust when emptying them. I have a small hand held one that I use on rare occasions. I regularly sweep my wooden floors then mop them. I do sometimes find that hair gets trapped in the broom and I have to remove it. Sometimes hair get in the corners of a room when cleaning so I have to double check the corners.

lapushka
June 10th, 2016, 04:06 AM
Nope. I wear my hair up all the time. Lots of random loose hairs around the house honestly kind of grosses me out.

Same here. That's why I'm always very careful where I detangle.

MINAKO
June 10th, 2016, 01:40 PM
Not much. I wear my hair up, when. Detangle i collect the the sheds, put them in a box and my hair up again.

littlestarface
June 10th, 2016, 02:17 PM
Not much. I wear my hair up, when. Detangle i collect the the sheds, put them in a box and my hair up again.

In a box ? I'm wondering now how big this box is lol

MlleMC
June 10th, 2016, 03:48 PM
I regularly pick the shed hairs that I see, but they are not very visible on the wooden floors, so I'll often quickly sweep the floor along the walls (since that's where most hairs end up) before vacuuming. And then I empty the dust container every time.

Even if I wanted to wear my hair up all the time (which I don't), I shed a lot of hairs, and I often need to redo my bun during the day. I try to detangle in the kitchen as much as possible - it may seem weird, but it's actually the only room that has both a clear floor and no carpets, which makes picking up the sheds much easier.

Astridnannerl
June 10th, 2016, 03:57 PM
I wear my hair up most of the time but I still get hair everywhere (my hairy husband doesn't help either). I don't live in a big place, I have a special comb for combing the carpet before vacuum.

CarrotTop
June 10th, 2016, 04:08 PM
I wear my hair up most of the time, but it still gets on the floor. I don't think it gets into the actual vacuum, but it does wrap around the beater brush. I've learned that a seam ripper works really well to cut it off the brush, though.

MINAKO
June 10th, 2016, 04:56 PM
In a box ? I'm wondering now how big this box is lol
I've been collecting all shed since last year september. Would probably be enough for a wig by now, haha.

Wusel
June 11th, 2016, 12:24 AM
But I joke that if we ever got a roomba my hair would kill it ;)

I WANT a roomba! I actually have one in my amazon basket already! So, you think MBL or WL hair will be too much for it?

Misha33
June 11th, 2016, 10:01 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. I guess I will start brushing the carpet before vacuuming. I usually put my hair up in a pony tail but still I get loads of hair in the vacuum cleaner.

yahirwaO.o
June 11th, 2016, 10:01 PM
I've been collecting all shed since last year september. Would probably be enough for a wig by now, haha.

That's so cool MINAKO. Maybe you could try those obnoxious big geisha old japan portrait styles! You totally have the hair texture, lenght and your own hair rat too!!!! :rolling:

littlestarface
June 11th, 2016, 10:11 PM

Looool wow! You should try it :p

Garnetgem
June 11th, 2016, 11:14 PM
I wear my hair tied back most days in the house but i still find them in the rotary brush but i find less in the summer than winter..i guess its unavoidable.

Lisa Long4Life
June 12th, 2016, 06:51 AM
I wear my hair up most of the time, but it still gets on the floor. I don't think it gets into the actual vacuum, but it does wrap around the beater brush. I've learned that a seam ripper works really well to cut it off the brush, though.

same here, I have to give my vacuum regular hair cuts :)

Arctic
June 12th, 2016, 07:05 AM
It doesn't look like I have lot of hair on my floor, but I still need to clean the nozzle of my vacuum cleaner very regularly, otherwise hair snakes start to form. My vacuum doesn't have a beater brush (this is typical for vacuum cleaners of my country). I bought this new vacuum few years ago and wow it picks up hairs so much more efficiently than my old mini vacuum ever did. Even though I shed pretty normally now it still picks tons of hair.

I wear my hair up most of the time, and always detangle and put my hair up in BR, but I have never really gotten into the habit of collecting my sheds after detangling/brushing. Life-long shortie, what can I say. It is something I am trying to learn however, not because hairs on the floor bother me (I can't even see them most of the time) or because of my vacuum - but because of my dog. Dog owners will know why, lol.

lapushka
June 12th, 2016, 09:01 AM
It doesn't look like I have lot of hair on my floor, but I still need to clean the nozzle of my vacuum cleaner very regularly, otherwise hair snakes start to form. My vacuum doesn't have a beater brush (this is typical for vacuum cleaners of my country). I bought this new vacuum few years ago and wow it picks up hairs so much more efficiently than my old mini vacuum ever did. Even though I shed pretty normally now it still picks tons of hair.

I wear my hair up most of the time, and always detangle and put my hair up in BR, but I have never really gotten into the habit of collecting my sheds after detangling/brushing. Life-long shortie, what can I say. It is something I am trying to learn however, not because hairs on the floor bother me (I can't even see them most of the time) or because of my vacuum - but because of my dog. Dog owners will know why, lol.

Same here. I always wonder what the heck this "beater brush" is that everyone keeps talking about. :lol:

akuamoonmaui
June 27th, 2016, 02:41 PM

True. My hair has paralyzed the roomba. Often. Poor thing.

Agnes Hannah
June 27th, 2016, 02:44 PM
My hair has blown up my vacuum cleaner!
Hair 1 Vacuum 0

Betazed
June 27th, 2016, 03:43 PM
I hate my vacuum!! It seems to have a difficult time picking up all of my hair. Instead it just bunches it together and leaves it on the carpet so I have to pick it up by hand. It doesn't help that I have a terrier who seems to always be shedding. We keep talking about getting a new vac but it just doesn't seem like a priority. I guess eventually I'll get tired of picking up clumps of hair :shudder: after each vacuum use and I'll break down and buy a new one. Has anyone else had this problem? It's quite gross (I hate all hair that isn't attached to my head!).

cathair
June 27th, 2016, 05:05 PM
I have my hair up all the time, but I still get sheds everywhere. It does seem like there is more hair on my carpet than on my head but it's always been that way. Haven't managed to kill my Dyson with it. Amazingly, it has to deal with car fur too. That's 95% of everything it picks up. Running a hand over the carpet with a rubber glove on, or a shoe with a rubber sole, or the flat side of a zoom groom cat brush get hair up quite well if you don't have a rubber broom or a carpet rake.

When I was a teenager I stayed in someone else's house who had laminate flooring instead of carpet when that was quite a new thing. I was mortified how I managed to cover the floor with hair every day. It was so embarrassing. I didn't even spend much time in that house.

Horrorpops
June 28th, 2016, 12:45 AM
my dyson is so full of hair every time I vacuum I don't know how its still running. I swear its more hair than dust these days! My hair is the longest its ever been and it constantly shocks me how much hair I shed and hence gets vacuumed up :laugh:

Alex Lou
June 28th, 2016, 01:00 AM
I thought this thread would be about destroying vacuums with hair.