PDA

View Full Version : How long was your hair (inches) when you could wear a secure hairstick?

peachy.pudding
October 17th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Hi my hair is almost bsl, however it has a lot of layers and a hairstick still will not stay in.

How long was your hair in inches, when you could wear a secure hairstick?:confused:

Eden Iris
October 17th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Around 21-22 inches I could make updos with one or two sticks and a single Amish pin for a bit of extra support. It wasn't until a few months ago (25 inches?) that I was able to do it without the pin. My hair is finer and probably thinner than yours, though; you may have to be patient.

chrissy-b
October 17th, 2008, 12:26 PM
I could use one when my hair was about 18.5in, maybe a little shorter. I've got tons of layers too, and what worked for me was to make sure my hair was slightly damp and pretty dirty. On clean hair it won't hold at all.

Dolly
October 17th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Well, my hair is BSL, and the sides are layered. It is thin, fine, and straight. I just learned how to use a stick to make the lazy bun, and a regular bun (I think it's called a cinnabun). They hold ok in my hair....the cinnabun is kind of messy, still.....but I'm thinking that will get better with practice.....oh, and as a tip.....get a ketylo....I just got one and it holds soooooo much better than a straight one.....

AJoifulNoise
October 17th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Just sticks? With nothing else? Around 27". Granted, I hadn't tried too hard before then. And, I have thick hair.

Before that I did chinese buns and used hair ties/pins/clips to help secure the bun.

I'm guessing that I'm around 29 inches now. I can definately do buns with sticks alone. It's easiest when my hair is wet.

Spike
October 17th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Past shoulder-length for sure, but I think at bra-strap I can do a simple bun with hairstick.

Not a fancy bun with a name, just wind the hair tight and put the stick in. I would have to reposition the stick several times a day, but it would hold for hours.

It took practice with the winding, for me.

Euphony
October 17th, 2008, 12:37 PM
I think a lot has to do with thickness of your hair. I could wear a hair stick securely once I could wear an updo securely, which for me was 27" or so.

Anje
October 17th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Not sure. I don't think I really tried until BSL.

Strangely enough, sticks weren't something I found comfortable to wear until it occurred to me that I didn't have to wear both of them. I usually get a lot less pulling with just one, or with parallel sticks. If they cross, it tends to hurt.

Silver & Gold
October 17th, 2008, 01:18 PM
I could wear a secure hairstick when my hair was less than 18" long. I think part of the reason I could do it was the method I used (and still use) and part of it had to do with the fact that I had a lot of layers. My daughter-in-law, who has much thicker hair and without layers had to wait for her hair to get much longer before she could use a hairstick, even using my method.
The thicker your hair, the longer it needs to be in order to twist it in an updo, unless you take the hair in sections (effectively making it 'thinner'). Think of it like a thick rope and a thin thread - both are 5" long. You can tie many knots in a piece of thread that length but you would be lucky to get one knot in a thick rope that length.

Butterflylady
October 17th, 2008, 01:32 PM
I can wear a hairstick now at bsl, but I'm not at apl yet. I can't do fancy styles like the Chinese bun yet, though. I can't wait until I can.:pumpkin:

snowbear
October 17th, 2008, 01:59 PM
I believe I was at BSL when I could. I only use one stick, though, so I may have been able to do it earlier with two.

lizzyjo
October 17th, 2008, 02:11 PM
I didn't try until my hair was BSL which was around 28". At the time I used a mechanical pencil because I didn't have any real hair sticks.

Nightshade
October 17th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Another vote for BSL, but that was also the length I was at when I first tried :p

kschr2004
October 17th, 2008, 06:46 PM
I think I first tried hairsticks when my hair was about 25 inches. I still can't use just one to hold up my hair, and I actually still put it in a ponytail first when I am using hairsticks. I find it is just too fine and thick to stay up well this way otherwise.

I wore my hair up with hairsticks today, and I still had to redo my bun about four times throughout the day. :rolleyes:

jojo
October 17th, 2008, 07:00 PM
My hair is approx 25" and I still can't wear a hair stick to support a bun without giving myself a face lift! another couple of inches and I should be ok though, which again will make me BSL.

darkwaves
October 17th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Closer to APL than BSL -- maybe 20"?

(My hair is like velcro. It's very thick, but has very little slip.)

Nat242
October 17th, 2008, 08:00 PM
My hair is waist length and fairly thick, and there are very few styles that will hold all day with just hairsticks for me - usually I need a bobby pin or two to keep the ends from "unwinding". A few more inches and my wrapped buns shouldn't need anything but a stick to secure them, which will be great!

I could get a cinnabun to hold mainly with a hairstick (plus one bobby pin for those pesky ends) at the top of bra strap length.

Sorry I can't give you inches, I don't measure.

StephanieB
October 17th, 2008, 08:29 PM
I can make a reasonably secure bun with two hairsticks now... 21 inches. I have supre-fine hair and it's thin. But I have to re-position the sticks a few times during the day.

I can usually do it securely enough with one stick and a hairpin or two for several hours. (like an evening out, for example, or a business meeting) But because I have long layers still - I need a hairpin or two.

I find that the longer but thinner sticks work better than the shorter but thicker sticks do, in my fine thin hair... maybe that'll change when I gain more length.

Isblå
October 17th, 2008, 08:35 PM
I think part of the reason I could do it was the method I used (and still use) and part of it had to do with the fact that I had a lot of layers. My daughter-in-law, who has much thicker hair and without layers had to wait for her hair to get much longer before she could use a hairstick, even using my method.
The thicker your hair, the longer it needs to be in order to twist it in an updo, unless you take the hair in sections (effectively making it 'thinner'). Think of it like a thick rope and a thin thread - both are 5" long. You can tie many knots in a piece of thread that length but you would be lucky to get one knot in a thick rope that length.

I agree. I can't get anything stay for 10 secs if I don't separate the hair into smaller parts, (even then it is difficult), when I separate on the other hand, the layers become a problem as they can't hide in the rest of the hair. Maybe if I separate and braid...
*artistic pause*:cool:

Amazing! That actually worked. I took a picture too, but I don't know how to add it here, the picture is in my computer, not on the internet. And I cheated some extra, because I used a knitting needle which is very thin, this was because I don't have any hair sticks within reach.

EDIT: This means that for me it is barely possible, with considerable tweaking and creativity to force the hair to stay put in an updo secured with ONE hairstick at ~26" (with lots of layers and a fringe)

vindo
October 17th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Waist length, but I had layers..lots of them.

Oskimosa
October 17th, 2008, 10:21 PM
I always cheat and use elastics, even with the mini buns in my avatar. The only time I ever did it without elastics and DIDN'T have it falling out was when I was all one length, about 26" and constantly dying my hair. I might've had less slip, but I was doing lots of treatments to my hair and don't RECALL it feeling yucky, nor do I recall getting any tangles. I've also got super duper thick strong hair.

DecafJane
October 17th, 2008, 10:24 PM
I have been able to wear them in a french twist since about 18 inches, but mainly using thinner sticks like Quattros, or twisted sticks like Papadonh. I won't be able to use them in buns for quite a while, but I'm just stoked to be able to do updos again for now. :)

Masara
October 18th, 2008, 01:13 AM
I could hold my hair with a single stick if it was twisted round the stick or a cinabun with two ketylos at just less than 20" .
Now it's at 24" and I can manage just one stick. The firmest hold is if I use a stick in a karrenlynn knot.
Having fine thin hair helps and any twisted stick such as ketylos feel a lot securer.

Arctic_Mama
October 18th, 2008, 03:49 AM
My hair was almost waist length when it would hold with one or two hairsticks but it is super thick, somewhat slippery, and very fine. It's like the worst of all combos!

I am sticking with forks and flexis for the next year, at least, before I start tossing money at hairsticks again!

nappywomyn
October 20th, 2008, 08:13 PM
This is such a useful thread!

Teilani
October 20th, 2008, 11:52 PM
My hair is on the cusp of allowing me to get back to wearing my hair sticks - and I'm trying on a near weekly basis as I'm missing them. On hair that hasn't been washed for a day, I can get a hair stick to stay in something like a twist that isn't pretty. By the time I reach about 20 inches I should be able to manage a tiny bun with perhaps just a bit of aloe gel holding strands in place.

SolSara
October 21st, 2008, 01:13 AM
At 20 inches I could do a secure Hair Stick Knot (or Easy Hair Stick Style as I call it, or an easy version of Mrs El Knot)

But it wasn't until maybe 25 inches that I could secure a bun. If it was braided first. I also have some layers.

ljkforu
October 21st, 2008, 01:59 AM
My hair is 30 inches just above my tail bone. Honestly, I think I had better luck with updos at bottom of bra strap to bottom of rib cage. Things worked really well in that range. At 30 inches I'm kinda having trouble.:pumpkin:

Nanni
October 21st, 2008, 05:05 AM
I guess my hair was about 22 inches when I could use a hairstick to put it up. I also had to practice a bit to make it stay up all day

Monsterkitti
October 21st, 2008, 05:35 AM
I could hold my hair in a bun with 2 ketylos at 23" pretty securely.

iI'm finding it much easier to hold a cinnabun with just 1 straight stick now I'm at about 25" for the longest layer.