PDA

View Full Version : Products for slippery hair

~Abi~
June 6th, 2016, 09:21 AM
Every since I hennaed my hair over a year ago, my hair has been fairly slippery and will slide out of almost any hairstyle I put it in, or turns into the frizziest mess with ends sticking all over the place. I can't even do a braid without it basically sliding out after half the day. Bobby pins aren't really an option for holding ends into a bun or whatnot, they give me a headache. So, is there any hairstyling product to give my hair a bit of "grip" to work with that won't make it greasy, sticky, or crunchy and will let me stay on my current hair washing cycle of 3 days? or is that just about impossible? Any other tips I could try to get my hair under control?

Cg
June 6th, 2016, 09:43 AM
Hope this helps. After going WO and oiling the very tips only, my hair is still slick but not as malevolently uncooperative as it was when I conditioned the heck out of it. I also discovered, quite by accident, that when my hair finally started to approach waist, the length helped keep styles corralled better. I believe you will find that true as well, and fairly soon.

lapushka
June 6th, 2016, 11:00 AM
Dry shampoo? Some people use it on freshly washed hair, for texture. There are also texturizing sprays (Garnier Fructis does one, I believe).

MsPharaohMoan
June 6th, 2016, 12:15 PM
I like shea butter. After experimenting with amount you can find the sweet spot of hair having some tack to it but not being too greasy. Makes braids less shredded/flyaway and when bunning hair sticks together better. You might need to clarify more often.

Nique1202
June 6th, 2016, 02:22 PM
In addition to dry shampoos there are also products specifically to add texture to slippery hair, often called something along the lines of volumizing powder. I saw one just today at Walmart for about $6 so they don't have to be expensive! You just take a little of the powder, spread it over your hands, and work it gently into the hair.

I personally haven't tried this kind of product for this purpose, but I've seen good things from others around these parts.

~Abi~
June 6th, 2016, 02:34 PM
Hope this helps. After going WO and oiling the very tips only, my hair is still slick but not as malevolently uncooperative as it was when I conditioned the heck out of it. I also discovered, quite by accident, that when my hair finally started to approach waist, the length helped keep styles corralled better. I believe you will find that true as well, and fairly soon.

My hair is definitely at waist, maybe longer now, and it's harder the longer it gets it seems (partly because any tight hairstyles at all = headaches). I also had to switch from CO to sulphate-free shampoo and conditioner because of how greasy my hair was getting (moving countries meant new brand of conditioner and new water....crazy hair).

~Abi~
June 6th, 2016, 02:35 PM
Dry shampoo? Some people use it on freshly washed hair, for texture. There are also texturizing sprays (Garnier Fructis does one, I believe).

In addition to dry shampoos there are also products specifically to add texture to slippery hair, often called something along the lines of volumizing powder. I saw one just today at Walmart for about $6 so they don't have to be expensive! You just take a little of the powder, spread it over your hands, and work it gently into the hair.

I personally haven't tried this kind of product for this purpose, but I've seen good things from others around these parts.

That sounds more promising, I'll have to check both of those out. Especially if it's not expensive, I can afford to experiment with them :)

~Abi~
June 6th, 2016, 02:36 PM
I like shea butter. After experimenting with amount you can find the sweet spot of hair having some tack to it but not being too greasy. Makes braids less shredded/flyaway and when bunning hair sticks together better. You might need to clarify more often.

Hmmm....I really want to give it a try, just it seems that even looking at my hair makes it greasy. Maybe if I just work it in as a braid it won't get near my scalp at all.

MINAKO
June 6th, 2016, 03:45 PM
Damp bunning helps me. My hair doesn't hold when i bun it dry and move around alot, or just walk outside.
I also have mini forks to secure my ends, way better than bobby pins.

I remember a particular leave in conditioner that makes hair very grippy in a non sticky but also non dusty way. Hard to explain. A bit like starching clothes i guess, a little goes a ling way. I'm surprise it costs that much in the states tho, cause in germany i used to pay like 1,79 for that brands leave ins. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NCDOAVM/ref=pd_aw_sim_sbs_194_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41ZQfI9xaCL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL100_SR100%2C100_&refRID=0TGV5TQ77YAAYNB7GF2K

lapushka
June 6th, 2016, 04:19 PM

Oh yeah, the got2b powderful!

meteor
June 6th, 2016, 05:39 PM
Texturizing sprays, hair powders, dry shampoos, volumizing or texturizing powders can all help with extra grip. You can even DIY a dry shampoo with things like arrowroot powder or cocoa powder, etc...

Also, if your hair slides out of all styles, try braiding hair before bunning it - braid cross sections add grip for hair sticks/forks/etc to hold better... Braided buns almost always hold better than their unbraided equivalents.

Putting hair into small-ish braids, buns, roller-sets or any other wave/curl setting techniques overnight will create some texture by the morning, so hair will be grippier and easier to pin into submission later.

Also, if you are using coney conditioners, maybe experiment with lighter cone-free conditioners or conditioners with protein - some of them make hair grippier.
Also consider some light-hold gels or setting lotions/creams, mousses. Garnier Pure Clean Gel isn't that crunchy IMHO, for example.

~Abi~
June 7th, 2016, 05:24 AM
Damp bunning helps me. My hair doesn't hold when i bun it dry and move around alot, or just walk outside.
I also have mini forks to secure my ends, way better than bobby pins.

I remember a particular leave in conditioner that makes hair very grippy in a non sticky but also non dusty way. Hard to explain. A bit like starching clothes i guess, a little goes a ling way. I'm surprise it costs that much in the states tho, cause in germany i used to pay like 1,79 for that brands leave ins. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NCDOAVM/ref=pd_aw_sim_sbs_194_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41ZQfI9xaCL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL100_SR100%2C100_&refRID=0TGV5TQ77YAAYNB7GF2K

Hmmm, I'll have to see if it's cheaper in the UK/Ireland. Definitely looks like a possibility!

~Abi~
June 7th, 2016, 05:29 AM
Texturizing sprays, hair powders, dry shampoos, volumizing or texturizing powders can all help with extra grip. You can even DIY a dry shampoo with things like arrowroot powder or cocoa powder, etc...

Also, if your hair slides out of all styles, try braiding hair before bunning it - braid cross sections add grip for hair sticks/forks/etc to hold better... Braided buns almost always hold better than their unbraided equivalents.

Putting hair into small-ish braids, buns, roller-sets or any other wave/curl setting techniques overnight will create some texture by the morning, so hair will be grippier and easier to pin into submission later.

Also, if you are using coney conditioners, maybe experiment with lighter cone-free conditioners or conditioners with protein - some of them make hair grippier.
Also consider some light-hold gels or setting lotions/creams, mousses. Garnier Pure Clean Gel isn't that crunchy IMHO, for example.

Part of it is I left my cheap hairsticks behind when I moved, think I need to get some new ones. at my length, I think they'll hold well. A hair fork would work too. I just have a couple flexis and LR's you-pins right now and while they held really really well at APL length, I haven't quite gotten my hair to like them again at this length.

I can't really change up my shampoo/conditioner right now, finding affordable non-coney conditioners is hard at the stores here in Ireland. I will tackle that eventually.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll keep my eyes out for the Garnier gel, it might really do well with the ends sticking out of my braids especially. That's what I get for layers in my hair, right?