PDA

View Full Version : acidic rinses & can't use anything creamy/condishy

June 6th, 2016, 06:37 AM
Ok, so, I've been thinking yesterday and I kind of got an idea.

I kind of know what lapushka says when she says it's not good idea to use gentler washing methods if you have scalp condition, but for me it's a bit more complicated than that. From gentler methods I can WO and my scalp is better than on other methods (but not good) shampoo included. On shampoo it's worse, it's so itchy I scratch my head daily but it's still better than other methods, at least for my scalp. But what I absolutely can't do is CO! So that's what I agree about, putting anything creamy on my scalp is terrible! That's method that makes my curls look normal but my scalp screams. At first I thought it's only about conditioners. But when on WO I tried various natural alternatives. And clay wash, which leaves residue, is slightly itchy. It's not non-itchy like 'real' WO. Oat water wash is itchy too! It's like I can't use anything that leaves residue on my scalp, anything that has any sort of creamy consistency... Another 'aha!' moment I had was when I was on some cosmetics brand presentation and used their sample creams on my hands. My hands used to have eczema. I haven't used creams for years. During that time I oiled my hands with grapeseed. But now I got rid even of oiling. So, on my WO, cream-free, slightly dry but not eczema hands I tried cream after years of none. And you know what happened? My hands got itchy! Like my scalp on CO. And, what's worse, skin on joints on my hands got red. Like I can't use anything creamy or condishy! I guess I don't have to say it's a pain with curls... No combing with condish on for me :/. Does anyone have such problem here?

Shampoo - itch, Condish - worse itch, Oiling - soothing my headaches, Anything acidic - clean feeling and no itch.

Another thing. Years ago, when I wasn't into haircare, I got caught in the rain. Rainwater is acidic, yeah? So, my then puffy, formless, frizz-no-curl hair instantly turned into nice strong waves from rain alone. No scrunching, anything. Later, when I started to experiment with my hair. Still on shampoo (no condish after). ACV rinse experiment, classic. My formless puffy hair turned into frizzy curls/waves. ACV = acidic rinse. Later. Being stupid, I tried lemon lightening. Put some lemon and chamomile tea in my hair and left the house. Thankfully, weather changed and there wasn't any sun to destroy my hair xP. My hair instead of being worse from lemon were actually better! Shinier, more managable, fresh scalp, everything. Lemon's acidic, obviously. Later. Couple of hennas already done. I tried mixing henna with amla. Huge, amazing relief on my scalp. Really great, fresh feeling. Amla = acidic, no? My favourite is rhubarb root tea, though. Under plastic cap for hours and then not rinsed out. It turns my hair into mini curls and feels great on my scalp. I wonder if it's acidic too or not. I'll have to buy some ph strips, huh.

So, my theory is... is it a ph issue?? Everyone says curls need more moisture, bla bla, but when I put anything creamy on my hair my scalp is unhappy. I even sometimes get pimples near my spine when I try something creamy and let my hair dry loose on my back. I have very hard water. Kettle has this huge mineral residue on it. So I started to wonder. Hard water = alkaline? Rain water = acidic? So that water kills my hair! Maybe I should start using these acidic stuffs like crazy, like all the time, not so rarely like I do now...

Can I leave acidic stuff in my hair or does it have to be rinsed out with that lame hard water? Can I diy some acidic water, like, with lemon or ACV or amla, put it into bucket and wash my hair with it without rinsing it out with hard tap water?

Does anyone else has problems like these? Not being able to condish, not even natural (like oat water) pretty much kills all haircare attempts...

Anje
June 6th, 2016, 06:46 AM
Short answer: yes, you can leave your acidic rinse in, so long as it isn't super concentrated. pH ranges of about 5-7 are probably where you want to shoot.

You could also do a final rinse with collected rainwater or a bit of distilled water, so you aren't putting that hard water back on.

June 6th, 2016, 07:01 AM
Short answer: yes, you can leave your acidic rinse in, so long as it isn't super concentrated. pH ranges of about 5-7 are probably where you want to shoot.

You could also do a final rinse with collected rainwater or a bit of distilled water, so you aren't putting that hard water back on.

:cheese:Yay! I'm seriously thinking about rainwater...

Cool avatar. Redhead scientist xD.

Anje
June 6th, 2016, 11:02 AM
Cool avatar. Redhead scientist xD.
Thanks. Pretty much what I do. Or should do, instead of internetting. ;)

pili
June 6th, 2016, 12:46 PM
Doesn't Mismha have a routine much like you describe? Diluted shampoo, ACV rinse, light oil, no conditioner at all. She has such gorgeous, shiny waves. I'm actually going to give her routin a try, especially since you are also saying it works for you.

June 12th, 2016, 05:06 AM
Thanks. Pretty much what I do. Or should do, instead of internetting. ;)
Oh, I know what you mean. I'm supposed to write a contract and I end up on lhc or youtube instead...

lapushka
June 12th, 2016, 07:09 AM
Since you seem to have no issues with oiling the scalp. Maybe a good pre-poo oiling will solve the fact that you have to use a harsher cleanser like shampoo. And conditioner doesn't have to touch your scalp. You can still hydrate your curls ear-down; better than nothing. I would also try and find a pH balanced shampoo. It should clearly state that on the label. Sebamed as a brand is a good option in that regard.