PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding Winter Hair Woes

Miss P
June 5th, 2016, 10:39 AM
It's now winter in the Land Down Under, which made me wonder if anyone else changes their hair care for the chilly season. I myself need to watch my super fine hair for dryness and brittleness (not to mention all the static) in winter so I load up with moisture. What about you?

Groovy Granny
June 5th, 2016, 10:55 AM
I do the same....with a heavier conditioner in the shower, a bit more oil on damp ends, and I spritz with rosewater and glycerin for the static flyaways :)

Cg
June 5th, 2016, 12:23 PM
I also oil the ends much more frequently. On days when I wear a wool sweater, which would be most winter days, I spritz lightly with water before bunning to preclude static flyaways. (Wool seems to increase static more than alpaca or cashmere.)

nakima
June 5th, 2016, 12:27 PM
I keep a pot of water simmering on the stove to fill the house with moisture that is the only thing that keeps the fly aways at bay for me and it keeps everything else from getting so dry. It tends to be a little dry where I live and I love the humidity.

Groovy Granny
June 5th, 2016, 12:37 PM
Oh yes...in our home we also use a humidifier in the Winter; good for your nose.... and hair lol :thumbsup:

sumidha
June 5th, 2016, 12:48 PM
I'm hot and sticky and miserable and totally jealous of your winter right now.

I honestly don't do anything majorly different for my hair in the winter, except make more of an effort to get it dry before I go out, but I don't think that counts. :)

Groovy Granny
June 5th, 2016, 12:51 PM
That would count too...otherwise your hair could freeze.... and possibly break? :wink:

Cg
June 5th, 2016, 12:58 PM
That would count too...otherwise your hair could freeze and break :wink:

I've had it freeze but not break. Yes, I do if necessary go out with damp hair in winter, and no, it's never brought on a cold. Just temporary misery.

Groovy Granny
June 5th, 2016, 01:01 PM
I've had it freeze but not break. Yes, I do if necessary go out with damp hair in winter, and no, it's never brought on a cold. Just temporary misery.

I have only heard of hair breaking off when frozen actually, so that is not gospel truth. :wink:

I can't stand a damp head in cooler/cold temps :p

The only time I do not warm/cool blow dry my scalp is in the Summer; then it is refreshing...and tends to dry fast even if I was to go right out.

Groovy Granny
June 5th, 2016, 01:10 PM
Gosh....your 2016 siggy pic reminds me of a movie actress....but darned if I can think of who LOL

endlessly
June 5th, 2016, 01:21 PM
I always have to change my routine in the winter. We tend to have two climates where I live: dry winter or humid summer. And honestly? My hair doesn't like either. There's a brief three or so weeks of Autumn and Spring where my hair thrives, but otherwise, nothing but problems. For summer, it's all about moisture without making my hair look like a limp noodle and winter is all about avoiding the static and dryness. I tend to overload on the conditioner in the winter and summer, though!

meteor
June 5th, 2016, 01:28 PM
We have very dry and cold winters here, so I always have to change up my routine a bit for winter:

- I use a lot more occlusives, specifically oils and silicones (double-conditioning, LOC, oil rinses, pre-poo oiling) to try and lock in moisture a bit and add elasticity to hair.
- I make sure to line warm scarves and hoods with silky scarves (wear silkier materials underneath), to prevent matting from lint or static of wool, etc...
- I wear hair up and covered when I'm outside.
- I wash hair less frequently (hair feels dry when heaters are on) but condition it more intensely.
- I use a humidifier or shallow bowls of water on heaters to help raise humidity a bit.

Hairkay
June 5th, 2016, 01:31 PM
Most times my hair care is the same except on the coldest days, 5c and under then I'll use olive oil on my ends instead of coconut oil and I may change the daily washing to every other day. I also wear a hat outdoors in the early hours and at evenings/night.