PDA

View Full Version : Split ends and bad scissors

Dessi
June 4th, 2016, 10:50 PM
Hello all! :flower: I just wanted to share my experience with something. I've always had split ends and white dots. I've been microtrimming my hair every 3 months and I used to do a solid S&D session after every microtrim. Splits would get better for a while and after 3 months there would be as much splits as before. However, 9 months ago I stopped doing S&D and wow, I stopped seeing splits. So, now my hair has so much less split ends then before when I used to S&D. I started wondering what could be the reason for that..the only thing I changed was that I started using herbal rinses, but I doubt this could help with the split ends. I've also started wearing my hair down more often so surely I haven't started taking better care for my hair than before. It's all the same..except for one thing. For all the S&D sessions I had done I used some normal cheap scissors. I knew it was not good for my hair but I thought it was better than nothing. Well, obviously I was wrong. Maybe the scissors didn't make the situation worse, but they didn't help either. Now, I have some professional scissors but since I don't see that much splits, I think I won't be doing S&D for now. So what I learned for these 2 years with splits: Either use some good scissors, or don't use any at all. :D

Shepherdess
June 4th, 2016, 11:21 PM
I am glad that you were able to find out the reason behind your split ends! :) I switched my scissors too a year or so ago. I'm not sure if mine were causing my splits or not, since I still had trouble with it for a while (though I suspect that it was partly to blame), but it is definitely good to have nice quality scissors for doing the job!

What types of tea rinses are you doing? :)

Dessi
June 5th, 2016, 12:42 AM
I am glad that you were able to find out the reason behind your split ends! :) I switched my scissors too a year or so ago. I'm not sure if mine were causing my splits or not, since I still had trouble with it for a while (though I suspect that it was partly to blame), but it is definitely good to have nice quality scissors for doing the job!

What types of tea rinses are you doing? :)
I've been trying different herbs and the ones I like the most so far are: nettle, chamomile and calendula. I'm testing lemongrass at the moment. What surprised me the most is that neither Hibiscus nor Rosemery worked for my hair although I've heard good things about them.

lapushka
June 5th, 2016, 03:25 AM
I am a cheapie at heart, so when I could get drugstore scissors for about 10 euro I was happy. I got some Kruidvat ones, and I got some Hema ones (Dutch/Belgian stores). They always "sawed" through my hair. My mom had to split my hair up and cut sections from the ponytail when she cut. Then we decided to sharpen them at home. The blades refused to slide over each other comfortably after that so they were ruined. Never home-sharpen scissors. Knives? All fine & dandy, but blades that need to slide over each other? Nope.

I dabbled in getting some shears off of ebay. But you get what you pay for. These cheap "Japanese steel" shears are as blunt as blunt can be. Don't fall for that!

So I got some professional shears, from a real hairshop. Just basic ones, from Ultron. For about €50. It wasn't the cheapest of the line, but one step up. It has lasted me 10 years already, with the occasional trim. It is still as sharp as ever, Japanese steel (real) and it is the best thing I ever got! No "sawing" through the hair, and my mom, when the ponytail is flattened can snip through it all in one go. Before even flattening the pony wouldn't work; still that "sawing" motion. My mom even cut into the flesh between her fingers (thumb) once and she said it was sharp like a razor!

TatsuOni
June 5th, 2016, 04:09 AM
I bought a more expensive scissor a few years ago and I'm very happy that I did, since it does make a difference for my hai:) A good scissor is a good investment if you ask me:)

MINAKO
June 5th, 2016, 08:16 AM
I have hair scissors for my trims but to eliminate single strand knots or weird bendy little ends i always or in most cases at least used cuticle scissors (sharp a$$ japaese cuticle scissors mind you) and they never gave me any problems. I think it's not so much of a difference when clipping off individual strands. But my hair isn't good for comparison, i could rip the hair off and it probably still wouldn't really split.

lapushka
June 5th, 2016, 08:54 AM
I have hair scissors for my trims but to eliminate single strand knots or weird bendy little ends i always or in most cases at least used cuticle scissors (sharp a$$ japaese cuticle scissors mind you) and they never gave me any problems. I think it's not so much of a difference when clipping off individual strands. But my hair isn't good for comparison, i could rip the hair off and it probably still wouldn't really split.

I tugged at some when getting rid of perm damage. My hair didn't split either, and I have F hair. I think it takes a lot to cause a split on my hair, for some reason. But YMMV. Everyone's different.