PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to care for scissors in a humid environment.

VixenWolfMare
June 4th, 2016, 06:32 PM
I usually oil my inexpensive pair of scissors. Recently I bought a pair of washi scissors and I am very worried they are going to rust without oil on the blade in the humidity. I once had a pair of sewing scissors rust on me in their sheath. What should i do?

butterflybutton
June 5th, 2016, 04:15 AM
Wipe sissor oil over the blades and pop them in an airtight container, you can wrap them in paper towel or fabric too if you wanted.

Wildcat Diva
June 5th, 2016, 07:57 AM
You can also find "damp rid" packets to store along with them. To absorb the moisture.

Silica packets.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DYKTS9C/ref=mp_s_a_1_28?qid=1465135123&sr=8-28&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=damp+rid+moisture+absorber

MINAKO
June 5th, 2016, 08:01 AM
Yes i wanted to recommend the moisture absorbing packs too. I'd just keep them in a tupper box wrapped in a piece of cloth and throw in a few of these packs.

lapushka
June 5th, 2016, 08:19 AM
I usually oil my inexpensive pair of scissors. Recently I bought a pair of washi scissors and I am very worried they are going to rust without oil on the blade in the humidity. I once had a pair of sewing scissors rust on me in their sheath. What should i do?

Just FYI but stainless steel can't rust. If they did rust, wasn't stainless steel. So... don't worry. Normally good scissors are stainless steel.

Anje
June 5th, 2016, 10:40 AM
Agree with the above. Oil them regularly, stuck them in a plastic container with some of those damp-eliminating packets, even leftover ones from products you bought.

Come to think of it, maybe I shouldn't keep mine in the bathroom.

ETA: I think good blades are frequently made of a carbon steel that is more prone to rust. Ability to keep an edge and to avoid rust seem to often be opposite qualities.

VixenWolfMare
June 5th, 2016, 09:03 PM
Mine are 440C steel witch is very rust resistant. I just don't want to chance it. Thanks guys will def do all if this. I pretty much have to live with tones of damp rid at all times.

Arctic
June 6th, 2016, 12:59 PM
Stainless steel can infact corrode. This happened to my stainless steel kitchen sink and the counter around it, after I had used very liberally baking soda to scrub it and hadn't rinsed it off well. Everything was full of rust speckles. Thankfully with scrubbing with steel wool (I think it's called) the stainless steel cleaned up well and the rust hasn't come back. I had been really worried I'd need to replace the sink/counter combo. I'm not going to use baking soda on SS again.

Before this I wouldn't have believed stainless steel could corrode. Granted it didn't rust from water exposure.

After that incident I saw how a wet stainless steel surface got corroded from putting an iron pot on it, where the steel touched the iron of the pot.