PDA

View Full Version : Sideburns

Hairkay
June 3rd, 2016, 05:09 PM
<<<My hair line reaches all the way down to the ends of my ear lobes. It's visible in my avatar picture. I know this varies on people. One friend of mine had a hairline that wasn't all that contoured. She didn't have any sideburns at all. Sometimes when I've done henna glosses it's been too much fiddling to get them covered underneath a wrap/cap and leave my ears free so I've clipped the sideburns away. Other times I leave them alone. Who else has them?

lapushka
June 3rd, 2016, 06:02 PM
I have blonde peach fuzz in that spot. Not a big deal to me, but my mom commented a few weeks ago saying that it seemed like a lot of hair, and I agree, they're pretty long in that spot.

ephemeri
June 3rd, 2016, 06:10 PM
Me! I'm a pale person with dark hair, way too much dark hair. I've got major sideburns. At one point in my life I waxed them off, and I really liked the effect however it just got to be a bother so now I leave them alone out of laziness. At this point I don't think about them too much because I usually wear my hair down and you can't see them. But when I wear my hair up, they are very noticeable. I just try not to think about them... But, you are not alone!

MINAKO
June 3rd, 2016, 08:49 PM
I don't have them, but i think they look pretty cute actually. Don't think i would recommend waxing them to anyone, but then again my neck hair bothers me sometimes and i think of cleaning the line up too.

Hairkay
June 4th, 2016, 06:40 AM
I have blonde peach fuzz in that spot. Not a big deal to me, but my mom commented a few weeks ago saying that it seemed like a lot of hair, and I agree, they're pretty long in that spot.
Out of all my sisters, I'm the hairiest with the most sideburns. They're curly right down to the end of the earlobe then it's peach fuzz.

Me! I'm a pale person with dark hair, way too much dark hair. I've got major sideburns. At one point in my life I waxed them off, and I really liked the effect however it just got to be a bother so now I leave them alone out of laziness. At this point I don't think about them too much because I usually wear my hair down and you can't see them. But when I wear my hair up, they are very noticeable. I just try not to think about them... But, you are not alone!
I'd think waxing them would be too painful. I usually keep my hair back and or up so they're always visible.

I don't have them, but i think they look pretty cute actually. Don't think i would recommend waxing them to anyone, but then again my neck hair bothers me sometimes and i think of cleaning the line up too.
I think they're cute too. Everything matches up well with my thick eyebrows.

Adorkable One
June 4th, 2016, 07:13 AM
I don't have any sideburns unfortunately. I wish I did because I think they soften and frame the face. Sometimes I try to pull my wispy bang remnants forward to try and do a similar effect.

Slightly related, when I was a teenager, I used to shave off my widow's peak. I didn't like it. I eventually stopped though, because it was just weird to do. It took a few years for it to grow out and blend into the rest of my hair again.

ephemeri
June 4th, 2016, 07:45 AM
I'd think waxing them would be too painful. I usually keep my hair back and or up so they're always visible.

I think they're cute too. Everything matches up well with my thick eyebrows.

The waxing was surprisingly not painful! One small strip on each side. I never took off the entire sideburn, just the lower 1/3 to 1/2 to clean them up a bit.

I'm glad you all think they're cute. I was teased for having them when I was younger so I'm super self-conscious about them. :-(

dansyl
June 4th, 2016, 08:26 AM
i have them... they aren't that bad compared to a lot i've seen... but they are there and I have dark hair and light skin. I don't mind them. I would never remove them lol.

MlleMC
June 4th, 2016, 05:23 PM
I have huge sideburns, going down almost to my jaw, and I have dark hair and very pale skin. So I wax or pluck them up to the middle of my ear approximately. I don't mind keeping a little, but I don't want to be a bearded lady either.

Bergelmir
June 4th, 2016, 06:44 PM
Hmm... no idea, guess some women may have some extended line at this spot but i do have real sideburns covering almost half of the ckeeks. The hair is a bit different, somewhat thicker and more curly but guess i could straight them out a bit in order to fit my hair better, but at this time they are almost covered by the other hair and only visible from the front. When they get extended i guess i make some adjustment in order to merge it sideward with the other hairs. But dependable on natural hairline expansions and maybe increased male hormones everyone could have some minor sideburn but it should not be as curly such as real sideburns, although more curly than the other hair.

papayatree
June 4th, 2016, 06:52 PM
I have sideburns, but I shave mine, and they get really annoying whem they get to long, because they look out of place for me.

Bergelmir
June 4th, 2016, 07:01 PM
Can't share this view but most likely because they are barely visible together with my other hair and they do merge pretty well.

Goddessa
June 4th, 2016, 08:04 PM
Mine go to about mid-ear, then fade into lighter hairs until about jaw. I think the hair on my jaw is long enough to grab but light colored compared to my dark hair so... I just leave it be.

tigress86
June 5th, 2016, 08:30 AM
Sideburns don't bother me that much, but I still wax them occasionally. It is much less painful than waxing actual body hair.

Hairkay
June 5th, 2016, 08:32 AM
Hmm... no idea, guess some women may have some extended line at this spot but i do have real sideburns covering almost half of the ckeeks. The hair is a bit different, somewhat thicker and more curly but guess i could straight them out a bit in order to fit my hair better, but at this time they are almost covered by the other hair and only visible from the front. When they get extended i guess i make some adjustment in order to merge it sideward with the other hairs. But dependable on natural hairline expansions and maybe increased male hormones everyone could have some minor sideburn but it should not be as curly such as real sideburns, although more curly than the other hair.

Mine are curly just like the rest of my hair then a little of it fades to peach fuzz. What irks me is that the sideburns are not symmetrical, one sideburn goes down about 5mm lower than the other. No one but me has noticed that though.

adastra
June 5th, 2016, 10:20 AM
I have hirsutism, which means I grow a lot of unwanted facial hair in basically male patterns. This include some pretty impressive sideburns! I shave my entire lower face every day, including tidying up the sideburns so they're a bit shorter and neater. I got laser treatments for some of my facial hair that worked pretty well... if I do them again, I'll have them take care of my sideburns as well.

I saw a comment about getting rid of a widow's peak - I pluck just a few hairs from mine on a regular basis, and it has really softened it up. No Count Chocula jokes in years! ;)

humble_knight
June 5th, 2016, 11:26 AM
Pencil/Ice- pick sideburns may be a good solution for those with chunky sidies. Most barbers know how to do this for customers.

shrinkingviolet
June 5th, 2016, 04:43 PM
I don't have any sideburns unfortunately. I wish I did because I think they soften and frame the face. Sometimes I try to pull my wispy bang remnants forward to try and do a similar effect.

Slightly related, when I was a teenager, I used to shave off my widow's peak. I didn't like it. I eventually stopped though, because it was just weird to do. It took a few years for it to grow out and blend into the rest of my hair again.

This.

I don't have side burns but I've alway thought they looked nice.

Hairkay
June 5th, 2016, 05:49 PM
Pencil/Ice- pick sideburns may be a good solution for those with chunky sidies. Most barbers know how to do this for customers.

I've seen guys with this look. I don't think many women would go to the barber for this though.

Ingrid
June 5th, 2016, 07:23 PM
Mine are not so much sideburns as wispies. There are both light and dark hairs in that area and most of them are quite thin - thinner than the hair that grows on most of my scalp. I don't really mind them, they kind of frame the face so I leave them be. Since my hair is a little wavy sometimes I give them a little curl with some water and so they help "soften" any hairstyles.

ladonna
June 6th, 2016, 12:20 AM
I have hair in that area, but it's more like facial hair/peach fuzz. Every few months I wax it off or bleach it. What annoys me is the hair that grows from the far edge of my eyebrows up to my hair line. I wax that too. My skin is pale and my hair is dark too.

gthlvrmx
June 6th, 2016, 06:41 PM
I decided to stop shaving them and let them grow along with my beard. When I did henna my beard, I put a shower cap over my beard and it was from ear, cover the beard, and then wrapped around the other ear. It did cover some sideburn, maybe that will help you hairkay.

umbrellabones
June 6th, 2016, 08:17 PM
I have them! Well I wax mine because I don't like them on me but honestly I never even notice them on other people though so many people have them

lapushka
January 13th, 2018, 01:07 PM
I'm digging up an old thread, because my mom shaved my "sideburns" with the ladyshave (electric shaver), just now.

I had blonde hairs of about 1/2 inch up my sides, all the way to my jawline. Lately it had been bothering me a bit while I smeared on my creams at night and when I got up for the day. I always seemed to pull at these hairs.

It was surprising how much hair came off when shaving, and how long it actually was, but it was the palest blonde you can have (white, slightly yellow blonde).

I hope it doesn't grow back funny.

We shaved it almost to the tops of my ears, where the blonde *almost* ended (of course not the dark hair).

Shorty89
January 13th, 2018, 01:53 PM
I'm digging up an old thread, because my mom shaved my "sideburns" with the ladyshave (electric shaver), just now.

I had blonde hairs of about 1/2 inch up my sides, all the way to my jawline. Lately it had been bothering me a bit while I smeared on my creams at night and when I got up for the day. I always seemed to pull at these hairs.

It was surprising how much hair came off when shaving, and how long it actually was, but it was the palest blonde you can have (white, slightly yellow blonde).

I hope it doesn't grow back funny.

We shaved it almost to the tops of my ears, where the blonde *almost* ended (of course not the dark hair).
I'll be following your sideburn growback goes. I have low sideburns, the one side goes much lower, fading into lighter hair near my jaw! I accidentally henbaed them last time so they are more noticeable than I'd like. But,I feel like the growback would be really visible.

lapushka
January 13th, 2018, 02:29 PM
I'll be following your sideburn growback goes. I have low sideburns, the one side goes much lower, fading into lighter hair near my jaw! I accidentally henbaed them last time so they are more noticeable than I'd like. But,I feel like the growback would be really visible.

I'll keep you posted. Who knows maybe tomorrow I'll have a 5 o'clock shadow. ;) No just kidding. I'm a little fearful it might grow back stubbly as you know, now they were fine, tapered, hairs and of course now they are blunt-cut and will grow back a bit stubbly. I think I might have to keep doing it - which I don't think I mind. But I'm going to let it grow back a bit first, and let you know!

Shorty89
January 15th, 2018, 10:29 AM
I'll cross my fingers that you won't have a five o'clock shadow. .my sideburns are really noticable today. I touched up my roots and have two henna-orange drip lines going down my sideburns. XD

Hairkay
January 15th, 2018, 10:45 AM
I decided to stop shaving them and let them grow along with my beard. When I did henna my beard, I put a shower cap over my beard and it was from ear, cover the beard, and then wrapped around the other ear. It did cover some sideburn, maybe that will help you hairkay.

I just noticed this. I do use henna glosses but I never put them on my sideburns. I also can't grow a beard unless I'm getting some hormone treatment or I have a bad case of PCOS. Since I'm a woman I''m content to be beardless.

lapushka
January 15th, 2018, 02:12 PM
I'll cross my fingers that you won't have a five o'clock shadow. .my sideburns are really noticable today. I touched up my roots and have two henna-orange drip lines going down my sideburns. XD

It's still OK here. I haven't noticed regrowth yet. I can't believe how smooth my creams are going on at night! It really bugged me, but it was always like that, so I never questioned it. Can't believe I waited over 40 years to try doing this (I'm 45 BTW).

lapushka
January 17th, 2018, 03:59 PM
It's starting to grow back a tiiiny bit, I have a bit of soft "stubble", it's really soft though (not what I would have expected). I think I might shave them off once a month, that seems good enough for me.

My creams go on so much better now. I had pretty long hairs there (even though fair and fine, hair is still hair). :)

cathair
January 17th, 2018, 05:21 PM
Someone I know has been having really good result epilating their face around the mouth area. Could be another option if you get tired of shaving it. Sounds like you're doing okay though :)

lapushka
January 18th, 2018, 04:30 PM
Someone I know has been having really good result epilating their face around the mouth area. Could be another option if you get tired of shaving it. Sounds like you're doing okay though :)

I shave my mouth area too (with the "ladyshave" as it's called here, aka electronic shaver).

Yep I shaved them again, there was some fuzz at the top (next to my hair!) I didn't get the first time, so I had to be really careful not to nip into that; it's OK for quite a while now though.

lapushka
January 21st, 2018, 11:35 AM
Guys, I am so glad I did this! Did I really need to be 45 to *first* do this? This was hair, literally half an inch at the sides of my face all up and down ("downy" a bit), and it's been on there since... forever. Thank goodness it was very fair (quite a light blonde). My mom once commented on it too, a few years ago, like, where all of a sudden did that hair come from? And then one evening my creams just didn't go on smoothly and I felt that there was quite a length there, of... tiny hairs. I went and looked into 2 mirrors (handheld + big mirror) and. OMG.

I still can't get over it, that it didn't occur to me sooner to get rid of that.

So yeah, still very happy with it. My creams go on SO smoothly, I still can't quite believe it. Such a change for me!