PDA

View Full Version : does anybody ever wish they had different hair

emmadilemma
June 3rd, 2016, 03:32 PM
I don't wanna dye or start using heat but I wish I had blonde straight hair instead of dark and curly. anybody ever wish the same? :(

Cg
June 3rd, 2016, 03:37 PM
I think most of us would suggest improvements to our own hair. Grass is greener syndrome. I'm sure someone would prefer your hair too!

littlestarface
June 3rd, 2016, 03:47 PM
Everyday of my life but what you gonna do? I have to live with it.

Elly May
June 3rd, 2016, 04:00 PM
Ummmmm, yeah.....I want Gossamer's...... (but without the dedication to achieve it.....)

MINAKO
June 3rd, 2016, 04:01 PM
Not really, i love my hair for many reasons. It's silky, shiny, low porosity, thick/dense and grows at a decent rate. It doesn't split or noticably break, neither does it tangle badly. My haircolor is as black as it gets and i consider this my personal favorite, so i'm happy it suits me. In fact i would look terrible with blonde, red or brown hair. I can manipulate my texture to get straighter. If it was naturally straight i would probably wear it out alot more, but as long as i know i can i think i'm good.
Out of all the hair i have admired during growing out mine i think i would rate my own 8/10. what more would i want?!

blue_eyes
June 3rd, 2016, 04:12 PM
I used to feel that way a lot. I'd see people with such thick, dark, wavy hair and be so envious. But now not so much. My hair is very thin and fine, and unbelievably straight. I used to try curling it, adding volume, etc. but nothing holds. It's too straight and too silky, I can't do a thing with it. But I've come to realize that it's also extremely low-maintenance. I don't need to do anything but wash it, and it looks as if I've spent an hour straightening it with an iron. I kind of love it actually, haha. I really appreciate that some people wish their hair was as straight as mine...so I don't take it for granted. I can't imagine having anything else now.

I do wish I was naturally light blonde, but that's still achievable so I can't complain.

Obsidian
June 3rd, 2016, 04:33 PM
Yep, everyday. I would love straighter hair or at least better defined curls instead of my "I curl every direction at once but only on part of your head while the rest is barely wavy"

PixieP
June 3rd, 2016, 04:35 PM
Well I dye it red so ofc I wish it was red, lol. And wavier/curlier. My mother has amazing curls (or would have, if she didn't blowdry and straighten them into a fizzy, damaged mess) and I've wished I had curls like that for as long as I can remember. And if it can't be curly, then could it at least be thicker!

Magalo
June 3rd, 2016, 04:39 PM
Wish my hair was naturally henna red. And I wish it was thicker! But I like that it's dead straight and grows pretty fast.

AZDesertRose
June 3rd, 2016, 04:45 PM
I'm pretty happy with my color and density. I henna my hair but that's mostly to cover gray since it doesn't change my hair color dramatically. My natural color is dark reddish brown anyway, so henna just shades it more toward red than brown, really. My hair is thick, and I'd be sad if it started thinning significantly even though I complain of the heat! I think it's thinner now at forty than it was twenty years ago but not by much (I'm basing this on my daughter's hair being slightly thicker than mine, but maybe hers is thicker than mine ever was, who knows?); it's still plenty thick.

The main thing I'd change about my hair is the curl pattern. I wish it would either curl or be straight. I have a few very-wavy-almost-wurly bits in the front and some waviness throughout but it's very irregular, and I find that annoying. Even if it would wave in a stable pattern like Mimha's, I'd be happier with that than this "let's go sixty different directions" mess that it does. My daughter's hair is pin-straight, and I'm envious of that, although she despairs of it because it Will Not Hold A Curl without six tons of product, LOL.

Hairkay
June 3rd, 2016, 05:22 PM
There was a time when I wished it wasn't so thick but that phase passed. I wanted it longer so I'm growing it out. I'm happy with it's black colour and the tight curls.

diddiedaisy
June 3rd, 2016, 06:25 PM
I'd like mine to be thicker and stronger. It would also be nice if it grew one inch per month lol

gnome82
June 3rd, 2016, 07:05 PM
Yes I do wish it was different but I'd wish that no matter what I had any way.

Anya15
June 3rd, 2016, 07:49 PM
Yes! I wish I had curls instead of waves that have a mind of their own.

I also wish my hair color was a bit lighter, but then I would probably look terrible because it wouldn't go well with my skin tone.

lithostoic
June 3rd, 2016, 07:51 PM
Yeah, I wish I had thick medium textured wavy hair. I'm 1b most days :/

vampyyri
June 3rd, 2016, 07:54 PM
I'm happy with mine for the most part, I just wish my 2a curls made an appearance more often. As for color, I love hennaed hair, but I don't think I would ever cave to do it. My DH calls me goldielocks daily, and I've learned to love my natural color as I grew it out for the past few years. I wish I could just be a fiery redhead, but... I just admire others!

pili
June 3rd, 2016, 09:08 PM
I wished for it all my life, but I still have dark curly hair. However, the universe has a sense of humor, my daughter has blond straight hair that grows crazy fast. And I have no clue what to do with it. :D

luxurioushair
June 3rd, 2016, 09:16 PM
No I actually like my hair more and more as time goes by, hahaha

There was a time when I wished it wasn't so thick but that phase passed. I wanted it longer so I'm growing it out. I'm happy with it's black colour and the tight curls.
I really like the black color too and I'm happy with my...random sine waves...lol. Well they're not curls.

missrandie
June 3rd, 2016, 09:48 PM
I used to wish I had wavy hair... Until I realized that I actually do!

I love my texture and color, to be honest. I do adore red hair, and it does look good with my skin tone, but I love what genetics gave me too much to alter it again.

Sure, I'll add a pink or purple stripe, but I wouldn't give up what I have for anything!

Okay, I want more length. That's all ;)

lulikrueger
June 3rd, 2016, 09:57 PM
Nowadays I just want my hair to be longer.
I'm OP's opposite.
I always debate if if I had a fairy godmother I'd wish to have black hair instead of my bipolar blondette colour, but I can't come to a conclusion.
I'm glad I'm finally at peace with having straight hair, I've even bought a Tangle Teezer Blow Styling brush for when I'm late and need my hair to be dry, instead of putting it in a bun and wishing for waves when it's time to take it down.

pailin
June 3rd, 2016, 10:48 PM
When I was little I wanted dark straight hair. Later on I wanted light blond. Sometimes I still want that. But I've been coming to terms with my hair color even though it seems to be neither one nor the other.
My hair is very fine and silky, but not at all thin, so that is probably what I'm happiest about regarding my hair.
I would like hair that doesn't split so easily, but actually that's improved a lot in the past few years, so I guess I've figured something out.
I also wish my hair would grow faster, especially every time I hear someone here gets an inch (or more) per month. But it is what it is. It's already the longest it's ever been in my life, and it will get longer if I can just be patient and take care of it. Since I can't make it grow faster, I'm concentrating on not needing to trim. No point in worrying about anything else. I guess overall I'm happy with the hair God gave me.

hayheadsbird
June 3rd, 2016, 11:20 PM
I wish it was a little bit redder than my natural brown and reddish highlights, but henna sorts that perfectly.
I used to wish it was curly as it was always so straight growing up. Now it has a bit of a wave, I can live without curls!
Mostly I wish it was longer, I curse the thickness on a regular basis, but I don't actually want to change that. Im happy with my hair, it's interesting figuring out how to make it healthy and keep it looking nice, so I enjoy it.

Adorkable One
June 4th, 2016, 01:03 AM
When I was a kid, I always wanted long, thick, white hair like InuYasha. These days I've emulated white as best as I can. Really, all I want is perfectly healthy hair.

Daydreamer.
June 4th, 2016, 03:35 AM
Of course! I want thick, straight or slightly wavy hair. My super curly hair is very thin and difficult to deal with. The only things I like about it is that it is shiny and dark.

lapushka
June 4th, 2016, 03:45 AM
Like Hairkay, there once was a time where I wish it wasn't as thick (and it's not even *that* thick), but that's all gone now. I get it layered these days and that solves a lot of the issue of "weight" and just feeling "blah". I do wish I had curls, though, like 3a/b ish, just the type of curl you get with a perm set. But my perm setting days are pretty much gone now, since I last had a lot of damage when I did that. I'm just glad my hair is healthy now, and that's all you can wish for, really! I'm not saying I'll never get a perm again, but... you know, just not now. ;)

Arctic
June 4th, 2016, 04:06 AM
I'm pretty happy but would like to have denser hair (at scalp level, that is).

I had hard time accepting it when my hairtype changed (several years ago), but I'm more or less ok with it by now. I loved my old hairtype a lot, but there are lot of positive qualities about my changed type, which I've come to appreciate.

Stormynights
June 4th, 2016, 04:06 AM
I have always been pretty happy with mine although I did color from time to time when I was younger. I don't like how porus it is because it takes forever to get dry.

lapushka
June 4th, 2016, 04:28 AM
I have always been pretty happy with mine although I did color from time to time when I was younger. I don't like how porus it is because it takes forever to get dry.

Normally highly porous hair dries in no-time. It's when it doesn't dry that it's less porous, or coated with product. I think that's pretty much the general rule. If I'm not mistaken.

Stepo_NiNha
June 4th, 2016, 06:20 AM
I love straight black hair but I've learned how to love my hair, dark brown and slightly wavy. I've also started hennaing my hair to strenghten it and I love the mahogany shade I'm getting that actually suits my waves. Here you learn a lot of tips how to love and embrace your own natural hair instead of wishing other hair types and thats why I love the LHC forum :)

lapushka
June 4th, 2016, 06:31 AM
I love straight black hair but I've learned how to love my hair, dark brown and slightly wavy. I've also started hennaing my hair to strenghten it and I love the mahogany shade I'm getting that actually suits my waves. Here you learn a lot of tips how to love and embrace your own natural hair instead of wishing other hair types and thats why I love the LHC forum :)

Same here!

Robot Ninja
June 4th, 2016, 07:20 AM
I wish I had proper waves instead of these kinda-waves that go straight if I look at them funny. And I'd like it to be a bit thicker, like the low end of iii. I don't want completely different hair, just a few tweaks to the hair I have.

vampyyri
June 4th, 2016, 07:47 AM
I wish I had proper waves instead of these kinda-waves that go straight if I look at them funny.

This is most accurate representation of 1c/2a hair I have heard :lol: the struggle is real!

Goatcraft
June 4th, 2016, 01:57 PM
Yep. I wish I had naturally straight hair. Curly is just too much of a hassle.

Entangled
June 4th, 2016, 02:11 PM
I do. I'm at peace with my hair for the most part, but I'd still like to have 1a shiny hair, or my current hair but all one texture, or thicker hair, or curly hair, or naturally red hair, or black hair, or dark brown hair. Basically, something that stands out. My hair is a mix of wavy and straight, neither blonde nor brown, and medium thickness, and I've always wished it could make up its mind and be easily definable in words. I always love thick, dark, mostly straight hair, but that's never going to happen naturally.

littlestarface
June 4th, 2016, 02:16 PM
When I was a kid, I always wanted long, thick, white hair like InuYasha. These days I've emulated white as best as I can. Really, all I want is perfectly healthy hair.

Lol I always wish I had anime hair ha! Especially hair like those stuck up girls they always show ahh their hair is always so perfect and a nice wave at the bottom. I dunno if you ever watched jigoku shoujo but some of those girls have the most prettiest hair. There's this one girl in jojos bizarre adventure ooo I love her hair so much so long black wavy an it's her stand too! I wish! I also want hair like jeanne de arc in fate ah man she has the most awesome hair!

meteor
June 4th, 2016, 02:20 PM
To answer the original question, I always wanted my hair to be naturally much lighter in color, ideally something like Targaryen white. :) That would allow me to do all sorts of color experiments completely damage-free, then let them fade - and then try again with new colors! :cheese:

Other than that, maybe I'd like my hair to never tangle, but I don't think it could ever be possible, at least not without losing a lot of thickness or length... so no, I think I'm pretty happy with what I have.

I must admit, I find it very interesting how many people seem to want other hair textures than what they already have. I always thought all textures beautiful and assumed our hands automatically adapt to dealing with the only hair we have and texture can often be pretty easy to change anyway with heatless wet-setting etc, that I never really caught the bug of desiring another texture. I feel pretty lucky this way, because I can imagine the struggle and how hard it can be, I think. :flower:

Normally highly porous hair dries in no-time. It's when it doesn't dry that it's less porous, or coated with product. I think that's pretty much the general rule. If I'm not mistaken.

This is a very interesting question and something I've been wondering about a lot, too...

Theoretically, porous things should dry faster (like a sponge), so I can see how porous hair should dry in no-time... but that hasn't been my experience, and I think hair is complicated in its "layered" structure, which makes this water question really interesting.

(To give a personal example, my porous (highlighted) old ends take a very long time to fully dry (but I bet they would dry much faster if they were layered or very tapered -> smaller surface area), while my virgin (normal or maybe low porosity) roots dry pretty fast. I wonder if it's just the heat of my scalp that's responsible for this or the low porosity hair could actually be drying faster, because it doesn't even soak up as much water in the first place because virgin hair is more hydrophobic? :hmm: Also, if I remember correctly from years ago, when my hair was damaged it took ages to fully dry, but it dried at normal speed when it was virgin.)

From this study (see pp. 470 - 473) Semi-permanent split end mending with a polyelectrolyte complex: http://journal.scconline.org/pdf/cc2007/cc058n04/p00451-p00476.pdf
it appears that it's 18-MEA (F-layer) binding to A-layer (containing cystine groups in the cuticle cell) that keep hair hydrophobic. All the outside structure of hair is protecting hair from the environment (incl. humidity). When hair is becoming more damaged, the F-layer gets eroded and the hair becomes more and more hydrophilic the more damaged it gets. The study mentions how this was tested with a staining test and tests with hydrogen peroxide exfoliating 18-MEA (F-layer) away.

And this study (see pp. 278 - 279) Wettability of keratin fiber surfaces: http://journal.scconline.org/pdf/cc1977/cc028n05/p00273-p00284.pdf
shows that weathering (from age) and chemical damage from oxidation and reduction all reduce hydrophobicity of hair, making hair absorb more water and become more water-logged.
According to L'Oreal Hair Science (http://www.hair-science.com/_int/_en/topic/topic_sousrub.aspx?tc=root-hair-science%5Eso-sturdy-so-fragile%5Eproperties-of-hair&cur=properties-of-hair), "hair in good condition can absorb more than 30% of its own weight of water. If the hair is already damaged by other factors, this percentage can reach 45%". Just absorbing more water could be responsible for a longer drying time later... but I think there could be more than that...

I'm totally guessing here, but I think hair that is intact dries faster than damaged hair, because it's more hydrophobic, so doesn't absorb as much water in the first place and the water might not penetrate as deeply into the cortex, but possibly more of the water molecules are just sitting on top of the strand or in the top layers of the hair shaft? :hmm: If the water sits on top, it's easier for it to be wicked away and evaporate into atmosphere quickly vs. water soaked up deep inside? :hmm: What do you guys think?

This stuff might even partially explain why people often complain how their hair suddenly becomes strangely frizzy and sensitive to humidity changes after it go damaged, became porous (e.g. via chemical processing, for example)?

I think we could even do a poll about speed of drying, but of course, there would be all those factors that would be practically impossible to control: different hair densities, lengths, different climates and drying conditions, different products used, etc etc...

Silverbrumby
June 4th, 2016, 05:23 PM
Oooooo. I would have loved a longer terminal length. I like my hair color, wave, body... Just the length, or lack of it.

funfetti
June 4th, 2016, 06:03 PM
i wish my hair was a lighter blonde naturally and had just a little more curl. maybe slightly thicker too.
i guess we have to appreciate the good qualities in our own hair as well, though, because i'm sure lots of people envy qualities your hair has, no matter what colour or texture or thickness or porosity or unruliness :p

MlleMC
June 4th, 2016, 06:05 PM
I'd love my hair to be redder. It has red highlights in the sun, but as soon as I go in the shade, they disappear. From what I've been told, three of my great-grand-parents were redheads, and I've inherited the pale skin and some freckles.

As for texture, I learned to work with mine, and to like it, so I don't think I'd change it. When I was a teen, I desperately wanted straighter hair though (it was wavier at the time too). And I quite like my thickness (high end of ii).

humble_knight
June 4th, 2016, 06:12 PM
Sometimes, I look in the mirror and imagine myself in 30 years.............looking like Gandalf rocking a grey mane and beard :D

Spinder
June 4th, 2016, 06:27 PM
Nah, I love it just the way it is. I am so accustomed to the way I look, and I am satisfied with it, so I would not wish for anything to be different. I think the slight waves suit me perfectly - stick straight locks or fluffy curls just wouldn't look right. I wouldn't look like me.

I think the colour is just right too - light, somewhat "blonette" brown. If it were any other colour, I think I'd look strange, like if I did indigo or red henna or something. Plus my mother would kick my butt from here to Antarctica. :p

Bergelmir
June 4th, 2016, 07:41 PM
My hair is almost perfect with the exception of sheer length, just need to add Gossamers length and i can spare me a duster.

Blissful337
June 4th, 2016, 08:05 PM
I spent most of my life wishing I had different hair. Spent so much time and money dyeing it and changing it. Now at 34 I'm finally starting to appreciate my natural hair. Maybe because I'm noticing some grey strands. I kind of feel like I need to appreciate what I have now before it goes 100% grey.

Ellethwyn
June 4th, 2016, 09:15 PM
Shyeah! I wish I had thicker hair.

Mimha
June 5th, 2016, 06:46 AM
My hair is among the things in my life that I am the most satisfied with. It is definitely not among the most important things though, of course, but it gives me so much pleasure and satisfaction ! :) My hair gives me a little bit of happiness every day. How can I explain ?... It is a complex thing.

I don't like fake things. I don't dye my hair despite some whites starting to show on my crown. So what ! These whites are mine. I don't put makeup despite some pigmented spots on my temples and cheeks, looking like peeled suntan. OK, these spots are not looking particularly nice but there are not ugly either : they are just part of me, like a sort of personal geography map of my life history, like any of my starting wrinkles. They are so much part of me that nobody seems to notice them. I think people don't pay attention to them because I don't mind them myself. So I don't see any point in pretending. I think that true beauty comes from authenticity. To me, an old tree is always beautiful, even if it is old, unproductive and crooked. Much more beautiful than a thuja hedge immaculately manicured (pun intended).

My eyes need to see authentic beauty and harmony around me : the texture of materials, the colors of nature, the play of shades and lights, and all truly beautiful things. I need to admire trees, birds, flowers, butterflies, listen to the wind and hear the silence behind it... I live in an old 1920 house that I have renovated with the exact philosophy I apply to myself : I wanted the true nature of this old house to express, with all its powerful charm and authenticity. I have preserved the original 100 year old parging with its beautiful time nuances of light grey and beige, sanded the old wooden shutters to enhance the beauty of the larch wood vein, and I have replaced all the fake cheap 1970 interior layout with stone, wood, terra cotta material, and whitewashed the inside walls. My home looks like me and my hair : healthy and authentic. To me, this is the same reason why my hair is beautiful. It is why my home is such a charming timeless place to be. It is why I don't feel like I would like to be somebody else or have another head of hair. By no mean !...

My hair gives me every day a little moment of happiness when I touch it, comb it, see how it flows gracefully down my back, how it is so soft and shiny. I feel like it reflects what I am inside, fully, and therefore could not be different because it would simply not be me anymore !... I see so many people whose hair is a source of frustration and daily struggle that it makes me even more conscious of my luck to have hair that I love.

luxurioushair
June 5th, 2016, 07:29 AM
My hair is among the things in my life that I am the most satisfied with. It is definitely not among the most important things though, of course, but it gives me so much pleasure and satisfaction ! :) My hair gives me a little bit of happiness every day. How can I explain ?... It is a complex thing.

I don't like fake things. I don't dye my hair despite some whites starting to show on my crown. So what ! These whites are mine. I don't put makeup despite some pigmented spots on my temples and cheeks, looking like peeled suntan. OK, these spots are not looking particularly nice but there are not ugly either : they are just part of me, like a sort of personal geography map of my life history, like any of my starting wrinkles. They are so much part of me that nobody seems to notice them. I think people don't pay attention to them because I don't mind them myself. So I don't see any point in pretending. I think that true beauty comes from authenticity. To me, an old tree is always beautiful, even if it is old, unproductive and crooked. Much more beautiful than a thuja hedge immaculately manicured (pun intended).

My eyes need to see authentic beauty and harmony around me : the texture of materials, the colors of nature, the play of shades and lights, and all truly beautiful things. I need to admire trees, birds, flowers, butterflies, listen to the wind and hear the silence behind it... I live in an old 1920 house that I have renovated with the exact philosophy I apply to myself : I wanted the true nature of this old house to express, with all its powerful charm and authenticity. I have preserved the original 100 year old parging with its beautiful time nuances of light grey and beige, sanded the old wooden shutters to enhance the beauty of the larch wood vein, and I have replaced all the fake cheap 1970 interior layout with stone, wood, terra cotta material, and whitewashed the inside walls. My home looks like me and my hair : healthy and authentic. To me, this is the same reason why my hair is beautiful. It is why my home is such a charming timeless place to be. It is why I don't feel like I would like to be somebody else or have another head of hair. By no mean !...

My hair gives me every day a little moment of happiness when I touch it, comb it, see how it flows gracefully down my back, how it is so soft and shiny. I feel like it reflects what I am inside, fully, and therefore could not be different because it would simply not be me anymore !... I see so many people whose hair is a source of frustration and daily struggle that it makes me even more conscious of my luck to have hair that I love.
Wow I really like the bit about your home. I dream sometimes of having a multi-storey shipping container home, but a renovated ancient house with creeping vines on it might be even more charming...

majesticmoon
June 7th, 2016, 07:40 AM
Yes everytime i see a girl with long glossy shiny beautiful hair to die for thats waist length. Sigh ... Im still waiting for it

Llama
June 7th, 2016, 06:45 PM
I wish my hair wouldn't tangle so bad when worn down for a day.

dancingfrog
June 7th, 2016, 08:25 PM
My hair ... unbelievably straight. I used to try curling it, adding volume, etc. but nothing holds. It's too straight and too silky, I can't do a thing with it. But I've come to realize that it's also extremely low-maintenance. I don't need to do anything but wash it, and it looks as if I've spent an hour straightening it with an iron.

Apparently I want blue_eyes' hair! I've got the blonde she wants though, so win some lose some!

gingerknits
June 7th, 2016, 08:30 PM
I have fine, light-medium thick hair, but my grandmother had very thick fine hair that was to die for! I always wished that I had gotten her hair thickness, but my little sister did instead. Her single English braids are easily 2-3" wide. Ugh! So jealous!