PDA

View Full Version : Argan oil/ coconut oil

Iamsiam
June 3rd, 2016, 07:02 AM
Hey guys, Newbie here 😀
So, my eventual hair goal is terminal! At the moment, I'm nearing on tailbone. (With micro trims)
have been using both Arian oil and coconut oil in my hair recently, and it feels amazing! However, my hair does tend to get sick of things easy. I'm just wondering if anyone has had negative experiences after coconut oil? Is this only something I should be doing short term?

spidermom
June 3rd, 2016, 07:05 AM
I've used coconut oil on my hair regularly for more than a decade, usually the night before or several hours before washing. It hasn't let me down yet.

Just this week I've decided to experiment with applying a very small amount of coconut oil to the bottom couple of inches of hair when it's freshly washed and still damp. In the past, my ends have gotten pretty trashed around tailbone length, and I'm trying to prevent that happening again.

Iamsiam
June 3rd, 2016, 07:08 AM
Well, if you're still going strong after ten years I'd say I don't have much to worry about! Haha. I'll keep at it!

lapushka
June 3rd, 2016, 07:33 AM
Coconut oil leaves my hair crunchy. I can't use it, not even in small amounts. Some people just have that with coconut oil, it is known for doing that to some. Olive oil is much more "neutral" in that sense.

It all depends on how and when you use the oil (pre-poo, rinse-out oil, as a "serum" on damp ends).

I use mineral oil (baby oil from J&J) for the rinse-out oil method (just 10 drops).

Stepo_NiNha
June 3rd, 2016, 08:04 AM
I had.

In the beginning, coconut oil gave me a very subtile effect on my hair leaving it smoother. Some months later after having done so many weekly treatments with coconut oil and some other oils, my hair started feeling crunchy.

Now it doesn't like any type of oil (only some 2 or 3 drops of almond oil and that's about it). But that's what happened with me, might be different with you.

You have to wait and see. You just have to keep doing and if the oils start to worsen your hair instead of giving any good to it, it's time to change the routine.

Groovy Granny
June 3rd, 2016, 09:36 AM
Not knowing the color of your hair...beware that ARGAN oil can DISCOLOR light hair!
Blondes can become brassy and my white hair was stained yellow.
I didn't see those reviews until I started questioning it.
It is reversible with clarifying, but it took a few shampoos.
I was so sad to let my Shea Moisture products goto body wash :(

MINAKO
June 3rd, 2016, 09:44 AM
Nothing negative to say, i just don't expirience the superiority from either of the two. There's many other oils i like better or just as well. I started to make sesame oil based mixes. I like to add macadamia, avocado, hemp seed, coconut oil and jojoba and EOs in different ratios. Don't even buy argan anymore. Dunno, it's good but just doesn't have any effect dramatic enough to justify the price for me.

sommer
June 3rd, 2016, 06:39 PM
Hey guys, Newbie here ��
So, my eventual hair goal is terminal! At the moment, I'm nearing on tailbone. (With micro trims)
have been using both Arian oil and coconut oil in my hair recently, and it feels amazing! However, my hair does tend to get sick of things easy. I'm just wondering if anyone has had negative experiences after coconut oil? Is this only something I should be doing short term?
Totally agree! The experience with the oils is amazing and they really help! :) I remember how bad was my hair before I start using them and how good it's now :)
I used the coconut oil too but never had such problems... I remember that someone about this negative reaction here earlier, suppose it's just your individual reaction if the body, smth like an allergy... :( I can recommend you to change it into another one or to buy a good professionla shampoo similiar to these examples (http://machohairstyles.com/best-shampoo-for-men/) but suppose that the first idea is better ;)

Adorkable One
June 3rd, 2016, 08:30 PM
I love and use both! Coconut oil is pretty heavy, so I use it more like a treatment. Meaning, I won't go out with it in my hair. I use it before shampooing and before bleaching. So that's not really a negative, it just has a specific use.

Argan oil, the only negative is the price! Lol. Personally I've noticed no staining in my hair.

lulikrueger
June 3rd, 2016, 09:39 PM
Neither of those seem to do a thing for my hair. I've used from beauty store brands to organic cold pressed extra virgin versions of both and... Meh.
I love experimenting with different oils and methods of usage, but the ones that seem to always work for me are olive, castor, neem and jojoba. Which is actually kind of sad because jojoba is pretty expensive around here, haha.

velvet orchid
June 4th, 2016, 09:05 AM
much like many above I've never had any problems with coconut oil, and use it as a pre poo, mask and leave-in :)