PDA

View Full Version : 2 (unrelated) problems-airdrying in humid weather and weird shed strands.

anou
June 3rd, 2016, 07:38 AM
Hi!

I have two problems, both unrelated.

1. It is very humid these days where I live, and my hair air dries weird. It is limp and has no volume. When I am at my parents', where it is very dry, it dries nice and bouncy. How can I fix this problem?

2. Of late I have been having increased shedding and a good number of the shed hairs are bent at odd angles. Like, a sharp 90 degree bend. They are not broken hairs, but shed hairs. What is going on? :/

lapushka
June 3rd, 2016, 07:46 AM
Hi!

I have two problems, both unrelated.

1. It is very humid these days where I live, and my hair air dries weird. It is limp and has no volume. When I am at my parents', where it is very dry, it dries nice and bouncy. How can I fix this problem?

2. Of late I have been having increased shedding and a good number of the shed hairs are bent at odd angles. Like, a sharp 90 degree bend. They are not broken hairs, but shed hairs. What is going on? :/

I don't know if you can fix 1. unless you blow dry a little to get most of the wetness out. I typically air dry for about 3-4H then the diffuser goes through for about 4/5 min. as that's all it needs at that point. It is mostly dry by then, roots are dry, ends just a little dampish.

2. I wouldn't worry about that so much. Hairs are sometimes bent at odd angles. If they aren't split or white dots, then don't worry about it. They will take on another shape after washing. It is sometimes how they dry and lay.

molljo
June 3rd, 2016, 12:40 PM
1. My hair just gets bigger and bigger in extreme humidity, so I don't have any experience based advice for you. Maybe try easing up on conditioner? Or even skipping it all together? If your hair is absorbing a bunch of moisture from the air, you could just concentrate on getting it clean and sealing with a dry oil when it's wet. I also like lapushka's idea of diffusing it after a wash, anything to minimize the time it spends wet.

2. Bent ends for me result from buns, and sometimes they go back to normal after a wash. If you're really worried about them, wet the shed hairs in the morning and bend them back into place, and then at night check them to see if they've gone back. If they haven't, you know they're damage. You might be due for an S&D session and make sure to snip the bent ends off.

Wildcat Diva
June 3rd, 2016, 07:53 PM
Humid area person here! You can clip up the roots and sit by a fan. I usually change the clips every little bit so you don't get a weird crimp.

anou
June 3rd, 2016, 08:55 PM
No the bent ones aren't splits or white dots for sure, and the bends aren't always at the end, they could be anywhere on the length of the strand. I will definitely try wetting them though.

Yes a diffuser might be a good idea. Or WDs clip suggestion.

Molljo, my hair is frizzy, but limp. Not sure if I'm making sense. there's tons of frizz but the waves just lie flat. There's no bounce. Strangely enough, on the 2nd day my hair seems to look its best , very smooth and bouncy but by then the waves have stretched to a 2a. :cry:

Curly276mom
June 5th, 2016, 11:09 PM
Do you have a commute? I use the "commuter diffuser" (aka the fan in the dash on my car turned up high) with some clips to speed up drying. It doesn't get the back of the head well, but it cuts my drying time substantially and is effective multitasking ;)

Yarrow
June 6th, 2016, 02:48 AM
If you live in Mumbai, it could be the dew point (http://www.accuweather.com/en/in/mumbai/204842/current-weather/204842)/ humectant issue.
So if it is the dew point, try anti humectants (http://www.curlynikki.com/2012/12/humectants-weather-and-hair-care-part-2.html) and avoiding humectants (http://www.curlynikki.com/2012/12/humectants-weather-and-hair-care-part-1.html)

Anje
June 6th, 2016, 07:36 AM
With the humidity and slow drying, your hair might be getting over moisturized. Reducing conditioning might help, but the quick method is a protein treatment to your hair. It might be a bit drying, in which case you'll want to condition, but I'll bet it'll get your hair's bounce back.

No idea on the bent hairs. I get some which I associate with tangles that got tightened, but they don't shed. It might be related to the super-moisturized hair?

leslissocool
June 7th, 2016, 09:33 PM
My hair does the exact same. I recently went to humid weather and my hair actually matted and dreaded which has never happend before as I live with low moisture in the air. I had to cut the dreads out of the length it became like wool :(.

My first thought would be try to clarify, depending on porosity that might be an issue, it seems like my normal product built up faster in humidity. And the bent hairs I too get but were never an issue until it was matting.

anou
June 8th, 2016, 08:59 AM
Bent hairs are still around, no idea what they are.

I cut out conditioner entirely. (I do a daily spritz with my conditioner-AV gel-water mix though, but it's pretty dilute.) My hair was bouncier today after wash, but tangled a bit more than usual.