PDA

View Full Version : Hi! Thought I'd finally introduce myself and tell my hair story.

JiggeryPokery
June 2nd, 2016, 09:36 AM
Hello! I've lurked on this website for a while, a few years, before I signed up. Now I thought I'd actually introduce myself, and maybe start posting. I'm Jiggery, or you can call me Jigs. I'm 25 years old, and have been going back to college. My hair is sometimes wavier, sometimes straighter, really depends on weather/humidity. My hair was blonde and straight when I was a kid, darkened to brown and got wavier as I got older. I've been dyeing it black since I was 18, and have no plans to stop until I fully start to go gray. I do have a few strands of gray already.

In my earlier 20s, I had been experimenting a lot with my hair, trying to find out what I liked and didn't like. When I was a kid my mom always cut my hair short. She had been forced to have long hair as a kid and hated it, so she didn't want to do the same to me and my sister. When I was old enough to take care of my own hair I grew it out long. It stayed that way until I was 20 and wanted to try short hair again. Got it cut into a short bob, which I hated. It was too difficult to style and it tickled at my sensitive neck. I grew it back out to about hip length (the longest my hair has ever been) before I got bored again and tried bleaching the ends and dyeing them purple. Didn't work, bleaching it made it so dye wouldn't stay. I was also getting sick of the length, my hair was getting too heavy when soaking wet in the shower. I planned to cut it back to BSL, but after looking at haircut pictures I decided I wanted to try a pixie cut. I got a short pixie cut January of 2014 and kept it until June that year. I enjoyed it at first, it was a nice change of pace. But the old issues resurfaced: too difficult to style, tickled at my neck, had to get it trimmed a lot, etc. So I decided to grow it back out. That's where I'm at now, exactly two years after my last pixie cut trim. I'm back to APL, which is mostly tolerable, but my shorter layers are still tickling at my neck so I have a ways to go before I'm totally comfortable with my hair again. My goal is waist length, but I might go longer if I think I can tolerate it.

Now, I think I'm done with experimenting for good. I always come back to long hair, so I think I'll just stay that way from here on out. I really don't have a fancy hair care routine. Just shampoo/condition every other or every third day and use coconut oil if it's feeling dry. Benign neglect worked for me last time I grew my hair long, so hopefully it will work this time. This time I also want to learn more ways to put my hair up. I usually wear it down, because I'm lazy, but it would be nice to know styles other than a ponytail to put my hair in. I didn't even learn how to braid until I was 22! I look forward to using this forum for inspiration and advice as I continue to grow out my hair.

Sorry if that was a bit long, I like reading other peoples hair stories, so I just wanted to share mine.

Groovy Granny
June 2nd, 2016, 09:55 AM
Welcome ~ happy you joined us :)

Blissful337
June 5th, 2016, 06:47 AM
Welcome! I didn't mind reading the "long post". :) I'm new hear too! I have been the opposite of you in that I always return to shorter hair. I had a pixie once but mostly have had stacked bobs for the last 10 years. Most people seem to think stacked bobs look best on me so when I start to grow it I end up chopping it again. My husband especially always seems to like the bob on me. I'm 35 years old. I too was a straight haired blonde most of my youth but it naturally turned brunette with a slight wave..and now I have some grey strands but I don't dye my hair anymore. I think I may be 1c but not sure. Maybe between 1b and 1c. I'll know for sure once it grows. I'm currently slightly above shoulder length and have a goal to get it to BSL. The longest my hair ever got was waist length and that was in high school. I'm hoping LHC can help me meet my goal without chopping it all off like I usually do. Happy hair growing to us!!

spidermom
June 5th, 2016, 07:26 AM
Hello new members; welcome, and have fun.

I'm an old member in more ways than one.

lapushka
June 5th, 2016, 07:45 AM
It's actually very nice to read such an amazing intro! :)

Welcome, and happy growing!

TatsuOni
June 5th, 2016, 10:13 AM
Welcome!:) If your routine works for your hair, there's no need for a change. I think that doing as little as possible is the best, if it's possible for ones hair. But learning some new updos might be a good idea:)

reilly0167
June 5th, 2016, 05:21 PM
Welcome aboard:D

JiggeryPokery
June 7th, 2016, 12:57 PM
Thank you everyone! I'm glad my story didn't bore you.

@ Blissful337 - It's always a nice thing to return to an old, familiar hairstyle that you know you're comfortable with. LHC was the whole reason I was motivated to get to hip length in the first place, so I'm sure it will help you reach your goal too.

@ TatsuOni - That's what I'm hoping. I was able to get to hip length before, still with a pretty healthy-ish hemline if I recall correctly, so I think if I keep doing what I'm doing I'll be fine. I'm also hoping that learning updos will stop me from getting bored with my hair, since boredom is always what seems to lead to cutting my hair.