PDA

View Full Version : Coarse hair help

PossibleMermaid
June 2nd, 2016, 09:14 AM
So I have very very corse hair. Like very corse. My mom is convinced it's damage from dying, but my hair dresser swears it's just my hair texture. I'm tend to lean toward my hair dresser simply because my hair has been this way for a long time, even before I started dying it. ANYWAY, what products do you course-haired-beauties use to tame your main? Specifically to soften it and reduce frizz. Rock on, course mamas!!

Anje
June 2nd, 2016, 10:53 AM
Is it coarse as in the strands are thick (coarse hair is like sewing thread), or do you mean that it feels rough or stiff? The second can be changed, the first is entirely dependent on what your body naturally does.

Depending on your hair's history and how it feels, my usual first suggestion is to wash everything with a sulfate-filled clarifying shampoo, root to tip. Then try a moisturizing treatment like an SMT for maybe 30 minutes or so (linked in my signature). Sometimes that makes for a great hair reset, sometimes hair needs something additional, like a protein treatment, because it feels too soft or mushy or stretchy after intense moisturizing.

-Fern
June 2nd, 2016, 05:00 PM
Anje has some good advice for you!

My hair is kind of a mixed bag, but probably 20% of my hairs are literally three or four times thicker than the other strands. Making sure they stay moisturized is key, as it makes them less susceptible to breaking and also makes it easier to tame them. I use an SMT (as recommended above) about every two weeks. I need my hair to be slicked back and neat for work, so I use aloe gel (rather than hair gel) and a boar bristle brush to smooth it back in the mornings.

The magic ingredient I found for my hair after joining LHC was oil. Different people seem to prefer different oils--mine likes several types, but I recommend starting with a lighter oil like sweet almond oil. Just 2-3 drops smoothed over your palms, and then smooth your palms over your hair, focusing on the ends. This has made my coarse hair SO much softer!!

If your hair responds well to the above, you might also try the Rinse-Out Oil Method (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129191).

sumirechan
July 31st, 2016, 11:01 PM
So I have very very corse hair. Like very corse. My mom is convinced it's damage from dying, but my hair dresser swears it's just my hair texture. I'm tend to lean toward my hair dresser simply because my hair has been this way for a long time, even before I started dying it. ANYWAY, what products do you course-haired-beauties use to tame your main? Specifically to soften it and reduce frizz. Rock on, course mamas!!

I can relate. My hair tends to be coarse and frizzy towards the ends. My mom also says it's damaged, but I'm thinking that it's more of my natural hair texture and I just need the right hair treatments to tame it. I find that doing regular hot oil treatments - whether DIY or at a salon, helps tame the frizz and the coarseness.