PDA

View Full Version : Coconut oil and protein?

BlndeInDisguise
October 17th, 2008, 08:52 AM
I was always under the impression that coconut oil contained protein. People would say that their hair got crunchy from coconut oil because of the protein in it. However, on my coconut oil jar, it says there's not protein in it. :confused:

So does some have it, and some not, or what??

ALenee
October 17th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Hi, I just used coconut oil for the first time lastnight. I must add I used a little TOO much LOL! My hair is not crunchy at all, in fact its super silky! I do not see protien as an ingredient on my jar either. BTW considering the size of the jar of coconut oil I bought, Im pretty sure its a lifetime supply lol :D

Meli
October 17th, 2008, 09:15 AM
As far as I know, coconut oil should not contain protein (my coconut oil doesn't have any either). However, coconut milk contains some protein - I sometimes wonder if this could be what causes the confusion about coconut oil and protein.

BlndeInDisguise
October 17th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Hi, I just used coconut oil for the first time lastnight. I must add I used a little TOO much LOL! My hair is not crunchy at all, in fact its super silky! I do not see protien as an ingredient on my jar either. BTW considering the size of the jar of coconut oil I bought, Im pretty sure its a lifetime supply lol :D

It doesn't make my hair crunchy, though it doesn't seem to garner the same results for me as it does for some other people. :(

Glad it seems to work for you, though! :)

As far as I know, coconut oil should not contain protein (my coconut oil doesn't have any either). However, coconut milk contains some protein - I sometimes wonder if this could be what causes the confusion about coconut oil and protein.

Hmmm, maybe that's it. Never thought about that. :)

eyesofsummer
October 17th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Coconut oil makes my ends crunchy over time, too. I have no idea why, but maybe it's because it seals some moisture out? When I wash out the oil, though, my hair seems to be in better condition (presumably because of the oil...). Maybe using a leave-in conditioner with the oil will help?

spidermom
October 17th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Coconut oil makes my ends crunchy over time, too. I have no idea why, but maybe it's because it seals some moisture out? When I wash out the oil, though, my hair seems to be in better condition (presumably because of the oil...). Maybe using a leave-in conditioner with the oil will help?

Maybe the "crunchy over time" is a buildup issue. I like oiling several hours to one day before washing, also a small amount of oil to damp hair. I have to clarify from time to time, though. Buildup happens.

No protein in coconut oil; it's all fat (essential fatty acids, to be exact; hair loves and needs it. It is absorbed. It does not seal out moisture).

rhosyn_du
October 17th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I think the misconception that coconut oil contains protein comes from a study done a while back that showed that coconut oil (and also olive oil) is one of the few oils that can penetrate the hair shaft, which would theoretically help prevent protein loss. I suspect that over time, as the results were discussed, "prevents protein loss" became "has protein in it," kind of the way messages get messed up in a game of telephone.

SweetPea88
October 17th, 2008, 04:09 PM
I think the misconception that coconut oil contains protein comes from a study done a while back that showed that coconut oil (and also olive oil) is one of the few oils that can penetrate the hair shaft, which would theoretically help prevent protein loss. I suspect that over time, as the results were discussed, "prevents protein loss" became "has protein in it," kind of the way messages get messed up in a game of telephone.

That's sounds like a likely story.

ChloeDharma
October 18th, 2008, 04:03 AM
To echo what has already been said i think that the confusion comes partly from the study showing that coconut oil prevents protein loss from the hair during washing due to the lauric acid, and also because coconut flesh contains protein, but not the oil.
Also the idea that coconut oil locks out water (moisture) is also a misconception, it slows down the rate that water passes in and out of the hair helping to maintain a more steady level of moisture.
One thing i've not found with it though is buildup....but my hair just adores oil so maybe it's one of those things that effects some people but not others.