PDA

View Full Version : Might've been wrong about my hair type - thoughts?

DizzyGinger
June 1st, 2016, 03:51 PM
When I did a hair typing test the first time, it was almost a year ago when I was just barely growing out a short pixie. I'm not sure I did it 100% correctly. After some comments from Arctic on my henna thread (thanks Arctic!) I decided to give it an honest try again, especially now that it's longer. I could have been correct but I wanted to get input.

I used simple shampoo, no conditioner or product, no finger-combing or detangling, and let it sit annoyingly on my face to dry lol. It turned out much wavier than I expected! Very, very frizzy though especially on top and that's hiding some of the wave. I couldn't get a great photo from the side, if only hubby was home, but in front especially, at the bottom ends, there was some decent curl action going on. I think you can see it in this photo too?

So, any thoughts? After this photo, I sprayed some leave-in conditioner and raked my hands through gently and it got curlier. I've included a very old photo, from when I was about 18, because it's the last time my hair was very long and natural. I remember that day in particular (I have a freakishly good memory) I just scrunched it a little and let it air-dry, as I was trying to emphasize the wave.

http://i.imgur.com/ZnJ5yI7.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/u75hxMh.jpg

EDIT: Seeing these photos together makes me realize that my henna results are turning out very much like the natural copper I had as a teen! *happy dance*

lapushka
June 1st, 2016, 03:52 PM
Looks 2b, possibly 2b/c to me (if you have a few ringlets), as far as the length of it tells me anything. Wavy hair usually gets its final pattern when it's longer.

Of course you need "hairtyping" pics, that means left alone and not doing a thing to enhance the wave.

ExpectoPatronum
June 1st, 2016, 03:54 PM
I think you might be a 2b too! And like lapushka said, I wouldn't be surprised if it got a little wavier as it got longer.

vampyyri
June 1st, 2016, 05:14 PM
2b, definitely!

DizzyGinger
June 1st, 2016, 05:42 PM
Looks 2b, possibly 2b/c to me (if you have a few ringlets), as far as the length of it tells me anything. Wavy hair usually gets its final pattern when it's longer.

Of course you need "hairtyping" pics, that means left alone and not doing a thing to enhance the wave.

Right, that's what I did. :) in the first photo

school of fish
June 1st, 2016, 06:06 PM
Oh yes I'd say you're out of the 1s and into the 2s for sure :) 2b, maybe 2c? You do seem to have some spiral to that texture, not just S-wave, so even though it doesn't seem to be a tight wave the curlicue pattern may put you toward the c range... maybe?

LadyCelestina
June 2nd, 2016, 03:11 AM
I would say 2c too, possibly you could with some styling get 3a but I tend to think that the true texture is the one that you have most often, not when you try hard to make your hair straighter/curlier, if that makes sense :o .

Also am I the only one who thinks the letters+number system is not very accurate - for example there are members who have looser curls than I do, but their curls go all the way up their length and there are many on a single strand of hair, so in fact their hair is basically curlier than mine, even though I have tighter curls. Sorry for going off topic.

Anya15
June 2nd, 2016, 10:02 AM
2b definitely, and when your hair grows longer it will most likely get wavier.

Styling somehow doesn't seem to "enhance" my wurls, just gives them more definition and makes them last longer. :/

spidermom
June 2nd, 2016, 10:22 AM
I feel pretty definite about classifying you 2C. I see spirals starting, and they'll really spring by about APL to BSL, I predict.

But I agree with Lady Celestina that this classification system isn't that good, especially for people who have just about every possible type of hair springing from their heads. I've seen hairs straight as a plank and dark as the ace of spades shed out of my scalp and a few that were so tightly kinky that I had to look around to see if somebody else were standing over me to shed that hair.

I used to be visibly 2C but it seems that most of the curly strands shed out and never grew back, so now I'm barely 2A most days.

Anje
June 2nd, 2016, 10:48 AM
I think I'd call it 2c.

Mind you, it's pretty easy to comb out most of the wave and curl in 2c, so I don't blame you for thinking your hair was straightish and maybe fluffy or frizzy. That's a pretty common perception.

littlestarface
June 2nd, 2016, 10:54 AM
I would say 2c too, possibly you could with some styling get 3a but I tend to think that the true texture is the one that you have most often, not when you try hard to make your hair straighter/curlier, if that makes sense :o .

Also am I the only one who thinks the letters+number system is not very accurate - for example there are members who have looser curls than I do, but their curls go all the way up their length and there are many on a single strand of hair, so in fact their hair is basically curlier than mine, even though I have tighter curls. Sorry for going off topic.

Agreed, my hair is straight on top then gets super wavy and then straight again at the ends. So I dont think its very accurate for me anyway.

And judging by those pics OP i'd say your a 2c, you got spirals trying to get out.

Arctic
June 2nd, 2016, 11:01 AM
My old eyes didn't deceive me after all! I'd put you in 2c, 2b has more braid waves-like pattern. You seem borderline curly! Very pretty waves!

DizzyGinger
June 2nd, 2016, 12:14 PM
My old eyes didn't deceive me after all! I'd put you in 2c, 2b has more braid waves-like pattern. You seem borderline curly! Very pretty waves!

lol I appreciate your insistence on it, it made me reconsider! :D

Thank you so much everyone! I appreciate knowing that the typing system isn't the end-all, be-all. It's a good start though. I think for now I'll go with 2b/2c until I figure it out better. I'm excited to see what I can do with it now that I know it's not just a puffy straight mess haha. I wonder if my obsession with conditioner has been weighing the waves down. I think the henna helped a lot because I only used shampoo for the hair typing test, yet my hair feels super soft and smooth.

I love this community :)

DweamGoiL
June 2nd, 2016, 12:19 PM
2c definitely and very pretty by the way! Don't be surprised though if the henna pulls out your wave. My hair was 2a/2b before henna now it's a 1C on a good day.