PDA

View Full Version : Bangs: Yes or No?

henné
June 1st, 2016, 02:51 PM
So, I am considering bangs. The main reason is a current psoriasis outbreak around my hairline and the fact that it sucks having to always make sure it's not showing - the bangs would take care of that to a large extent. The other reason is that I've found some old - pretty old - pictures of myself and I really love the way I looked with bangs.

That said, i also remember what pain in the neck bangs can be, especially for someone with wavy unruly hair that does a different thing every day ... zero predictability, haha. Another con is the hair getting oily quicker around the face as it's going to be touching it ... unavoidably.

Aaaagh! Decisions! I suck at decisions!

WWYD? Ideas, opinions, suggestions ... your own pros and cons? Bring it on!

zashin66
June 1st, 2016, 03:08 PM
I have always had bangs. But recently my daughter few hers out. She is eleven.She looks great so now I'm wondering if I should quit feeling self conscious about my big forehead and let them grow or not.

zashin66
June 1st, 2016, 03:10 PM
I have always had bangs. But recently my daughter grew hers out. She is eleven. She looks great. So now I'm wondering if I should quit feeling self conscious about my big forehead and let them grow or not.

Wildcat Diva
June 1st, 2016, 03:13 PM
I have wavy hair and I dont want bangs. My husband somehow has a strong sentiment against them in general and so I don't see myself getting them. And it's that much less hair in the bun, I need all the thickness I can get.

vampyyri
June 1st, 2016, 03:17 PM
I may be biased, but I have wavy hair and I love my bangs (had them my whole life). Once you train them, they tend to always fall into place. Mine do a really voluminous swoop that looks like I styled them, but it's because I always trim them at the point where my first wave starts to curl out, if that makes sense.

MINAKO
June 1st, 2016, 03:25 PM
I love them but decided against bangs cause i know the pain of them to grow out and blend well goes on and on forever. The very front where my bangs used to be is still not really any lioger than hip and kinda stringy.

Groovy Granny
June 1st, 2016, 03:27 PM
No bangs!

When I was a long hair in the 60's and 70's it was all one length.

Then I went shorter in the 80's and cut them in; I kept them until 2013 when I decided to go long again and silver.

My silver now has a strong wave to it and it curls easily in humid weather, rendering any control useless, because I also stopped heat styling.

I cut the last of my fringe layer out last March, and am now all one length again @ Hip..... and I am very happy with this look :)

sumidha
June 1st, 2016, 03:32 PM
Kind of depends on face shape, and how annoying you'll find it to fiddle with them to get them looking good in the morning (or just rolling with it if they don't) and how annoying you'll find it to keep them trimmed.

Personally I get sick of cutting them after like two times and then let them grow out. After this most recent bangs experience I've sworn to never do it again.

Cg
June 1st, 2016, 03:45 PM
All one length requires only minimal trimming and no extra fussing. I'm all for minimalist care.

LongCurlyTress
June 1st, 2016, 03:51 PM
So, I am considering bangs. The main reason is a current psoriasis outbreak around my hairline and the fact that it sucks having to always make sure it's not showing - the bangs would take care of that to a large extent. The other reason is that I've found some old - pretty old - pictures of myself and I really love the way I looked with bangs.

That said, i also remember what pain in the neck bangs can be, especially for someone with wavy unruly hair that does a different thing every day ... zero predictability, haha. Another con is the hair getting oily quicker around the face as it's going to be touching it ... unavoidably.

Aaaagh! Decisions! I suck at decisions!

WWYD? Ideas, opinions, suggestions ... your own pros and cons? Bring it on!
henne... you mention that you have psoriasis along your hairline? If so, I would definitely trim them-- but only some very thin fringe.. maybe only between the ends of your eyebrows and only 1/2 inch back into the hairline. I did this... and I can still brush them back into a bun since they are thin, but they still soften my hairline and face and hide my forehead lines. ;) Some days, I am hating them but other days I really love them and am considering keeping them, but just a slight small fringe... next time I will only trim to the point of my nose, and not mid nose bridge...

Anyways, that is what I did.. and I do have mixed feelings, but for the most part, I like them-- what choice do I have?? LOL I was feeling kind of frumpy with always brushing all my hair back into a bun with the wet sea otter look...;( I have way too much hair to just leave it down... it gets hot and feels like a hot blanket when I do, especially in the summer. So, my thin fringe/bangs gave me a slight change without touching the hemline. Still not sure if I willl keep them. I cut off 10 inches of hair to get them so it will be at least a year until they reach my chin again..(when they will be long enough to brush back into a bun again without bobby pins... two years to grow them back to cleavage length where they were before my bang trim---- that part does suck...;(

There are a few actresses who wear bangs... Jane Seymour and Susan Lucci... to hide their forehead lines. Both say it is easier than botox!! ;) If you do cut bangs, just don't go too short or into your hairline too far. ;)

molljo
June 1st, 2016, 04:13 PM
I currently have side-swept bangs, and they're my favorite kind. I've had a bunch of different kinds: very short, long, eyebrow length, straight across, swoopy, very thin, very thick. I would recommend side bangs for you, too. in this case, the wave would be an added benefit because it'll be much easier to style them by using the swoop that's already present in your wave pattern. They're also much easier to pin back into the majority of your hair than straight across, which adds to versatility. So, if you have a few days where your psoriasis is pretty clear, you can sweep them back and show your forehead. The upkeep is much easier as well in comparison to other types since they don't need to be trimmed so often to look good.

velorutionista
June 1st, 2016, 04:22 PM
I say, if you liked them before, go for it! Worst case scenario you have to grow them out again (which after a very short while you can just pin them back into updos and nobody will be the wiser).

Full disclosure, though, I cut myself some bangs (sideswept style, though they could use some fine-tuning yet...my bad) this past weekend, so I'm biased! ;) I've had bangs in the past, grew them out to about APL, and then decided I wanted fringe again for summer.

I agree with LongCurlyTress, though--start with a thin fringe at first and see if that suits your needs.

Nique1202
June 1st, 2016, 05:28 PM
If you can easily manage a bangs-only wash or if dry shampoo works for you, then I'd definitely go for it. I can do neither of those things and so have been slowly coming to accept my fivehead by sheer force of will.

callahanwade
June 1st, 2016, 05:32 PM
I recently cut my own bangs and I love them! They make updos so much more flattering. I wash them in the shower with them sticking out from a showercap, and I blow dry to deal with any waves. I don't mind using a little heat on them, because I'm keeping them short anyway.

I say, if you like the way you look in bangs, go for it!

Robot Ninja
June 1st, 2016, 05:43 PM
I like bangs. I do not like maintaining bangs. I'm currently a few weeks overdue for a haircut and I look like a sheepdog. But if you don't mind keeping up with the trims, get bangs if you want bangs.

If they get too unruly you can always heat style them, since you'll be trimming them before the damage has a chance to accumulate.

Lavendersugar
June 1st, 2016, 05:48 PM
I had bangs most of my life. I'm much happier without them and I have straight hair. Them blowing in the wind, sticking to my forehead when sweating or because my skin is oiling. I like putting all my hair behind my ears. Having to style them because of cowlicks is a pain as I like air drying.

Don't get me wrong I love the look of straight thick bangs or wispy bangs but it's not for me anymore.

Now long bangs that can go behind the ears I'm more for because it's easier.

Anje
June 1st, 2016, 10:01 PM
Bangs are awful. I hate them. I listened to my husband and actually cut them because he thought it'd be cute.... never again! My forehead got so dry and flaky, because if I moisturized it, the bangs would be lank and greasy. They flipped every whichway unless I flatironed them. They got caught in my glasses hinges. They needed to be shampooed daily.

Just say no to bangs!

Ophidian
June 1st, 2016, 10:02 PM
For me, bangs were troublesome because my bangs would get oily way before the rest of my hair and I got tired of bang-only washes pretty quick but I am lazy with that kind of stuff so there's that...

Also, I see that your hair is 2a. Mine is somewhere between 1c/2a and 2a, and I had the darnedest time avoiding horns and/or flat-on-one-side-poof-on-the-other bangs when I had long hair with blunt bangs cut it. Maybe your hair is better behaved than mine, or you have more patience for fiddly styling issues. If so, bangs may very well be a lot of fun! I never did find a way to handle mine (either the horns would go pointier or they would stick to my face/poke me in the eye if I used product) so I grew them out.
"

Deborah
June 1st, 2016, 10:16 PM
Nique,

I would never had said so before, but now that you have commented on your forehead, I honestly have always thought that you look way prettier without bangs. Your forehead adds to you beauty; it does not diminish it in any way.

I hope I have not offended you. I am not anti-bangs or anti your present look. I just like your face on full display, thereby revealing your true beauty.

Ingrid
June 1st, 2016, 11:02 PM
Bangs are nice in theory but in reality they never really work out, and they are not really flattering on most people because they tend to obscure the face and distort the facial proportions :shrug: That's just my aesthetic opinion though!

MINAKO
June 2nd, 2016, 01:10 AM
Some of you may or may not be interested in this aspect of the question.

"The bones in the forehead are porous and function to transmit light to the pineal gland, which affects brain activity, as well as thyroid and sexual hormones. Cutting bangs which cover the forehead impedes this process.

When Genghis Khan conquered China, he considered the Chinese to be a very wise, intelligent people who would not allow themselves to be subjugated. He therefore required all women in the country to cut their hair and wear bangs, because he knew this would serve to keep them timid and more easily controlled.

As whole tribes or societies were conquered, cut hair became so prevalent that the importance of hair was lost after a few generations, and hairstyles and fashion grew to be the focus."

starfire
June 2nd, 2016, 07:34 AM
Some of you may or may not be interested in this aspect of the question.

"The bones in the forehead are porous and function to transmit light to the pineal gland, which affects brain activity, as well as thyroid and sexual hormones. Cutting bangs which cover the forehead impedes this process.

When Genghis Khan conquered China, he considered the Chinese to be a very wise, intelligent people who would not allow themselves to be subjugated. He therefore required all women in the country to cut their hair and wear bangs, because he knew this would serve to keep them timid and more easily controlled.

As whole tribes or societies were conquered, cut hair became so prevalent that the importance of hair was lost after a few generations, and hairstyles and fashion grew to be the focus."

That is fascinating!

OP: I didn't vote yet as I'm in a very similar situation as you :P But I am leaning towards yes, if you like the bangs and are okay with the maintenance required.

ExpectoPatronum
June 2nd, 2016, 07:49 AM
You know, if this was asked a year ago I probably would have said "yes" to bangs regardless. I had them myself and thought they would look good on most people.

I ended up growing mine out and haven't gone back. The upkeep is a pain, though it might be worth it for the psoriasis you mentioned. Also, more forehead started to break out eventually from them and whatever products I was using at the time on them. That's another thing to keep in mind too. You've mentioned having bangs before, so if you didn't break out in the past from them, you might be good! But, I had had bangs in the past as well and didn't start breaking out from them until this most recent time...

Upside Down
June 2nd, 2016, 07:51 AM
Bangs, yes! But I admit, if my hair was still curly I'd never cut them. Too much work.

Otoh, they soften the updos, make it seem more interesting, can be worn in so many ways and if you are in a hurry and need to wash hair - just wash the bangs and wear the rest in a bun.

LongCurlyTress
June 2nd, 2016, 08:57 AM
Do what feels right for you... ;)

lillielil
June 2nd, 2016, 09:27 AM
I said no. I cut some bangs not that long ago, and by the time they needed a trim I was already sick of them. Using them to cover psoriasis sounds frustrating, especially if your hair is wavy.

Tanglewood
June 2nd, 2016, 10:25 AM
I've had bangs since my son was a baby; he will be 27 this summer. My hair is fine and a bit thin at the temples and bangs disguise this somewhat. Also, I always wear my hair pulled back and bangs have a softening effect on my face. If oily bangs become a problem, one can always wash ONLY the bangs. The only thing I don't care for is when my bangs grow out a bit more than usual between professional trims and pile up on my glasses but I've learned to trim them a bit myself if necessary.

I vote cheese since bangs are a very personal decision. :)

sillyme
June 2nd, 2016, 03:04 PM
I've had bangs almost all my life, the only exception being when I was in my early teens and grew them out like everyone else did in the 70's. I feel like my bangs are ONE thing I have complete control over because I can cut them myself. ;) Mine are pretty versatile; I can dry them forward with a round brush, pin them back with combs, or have them sideswept if it's a hot day and I don't want them hanging down over my forehead.

Capybara
June 2nd, 2016, 06:32 PM
I would say go for it, if you want to and are prepared for the growing out process if you decide you don't favour them. I've had bangs for most of my life, up until the summer of 2014 when I decided to grow them out. I had one last yee-haw and cut in straight across bangs think Zooey Deschanel. I then grew them out slowly, trying to blend them as much as possible with my hair. They are almost to my shoulder now and easily fit into up-dos.

For what it's worth, I also have psoriasis, and it spreads to my forehead/eyebrows/ears periodically. It's difficult, and when it starts to get out of control, I always get the feeling that people are staring at me. In reality, most people are too worried about their own looks to care about mine, and fortunately (from an education perspective, I would never wish illness on anyone), psoriasis is common enough that most people are familiar enough with it to know what it is. The best solution I've found is medication, and being at peace with myself.

lithostoic
June 2nd, 2016, 07:20 PM
I hate bangs. I think 90% of people look better without them and they pretty much require some heat styling no matter what.

henné
June 18th, 2016, 05:16 PM
Well, I got the bangs! :D

Betazed
June 18th, 2016, 06:36 PM
Even though you already got them, I still voted cheese as I think it's a very personal decision (as someone else said above).

For myself, I've had bangs since I was about 7 and got the front section of my hair tangled in a round brush which resulted in bangs being cut into my classic-length hair. After getting over the humiliation and devastation, I loved my bangs and kept them. I went through a phase where I desperately wanted a blunt, Betty Paige style bang but they just did not look good with my face shape. Now, I rock a side-swept.

My only problem with them is keeping them off of my face during the summer months. My health issues cause me to over heat very quickly. If I don't keep my bangs off of my face, they're disgustingly drenched in sweat in seconds! So, I get my last trim in mid-spring and let them grow out a bit leading up to summer. Now, I keep them tied up in dutch braids. I think it would be nice to not have pokey bits sticking out of my braids and I contemplate growing them out. But I don't think I'd like the way it would look with my hair down if I didn't have them.

I hope you enjoy your new bangs! :)

turtlelover
June 18th, 2016, 07:22 PM
I like bangs on myself, but only the wispier/softer variety that isn't cut far back, and only when they are short enough to not fall in my eyes. I never cared for the side bangs that everyone seemed to have for awhile. Glad that trend seems to be fading around here! I also never really cared for super thick, blunt cut bangs on most people, though I see an occasional person who looks great with them. There are some people who ABSOLUTELY do look better and/or younger with bangs, and a few who look awful with them. I think most people can look fine either way.