PDA

View Full Version : Dye Japanese Hair Blue?

ben_da_destroye
May 31st, 2016, 11:21 AM
My girlfriend is Japanese and has dark hair. We tried using a two tone splat product the first time that included bleach. we left both the bleach and color in for excessive time. The color did not stick and washed out quickly turning to a turquoise.

I contacted the company and now have a new box of pure blue. Any tips for making this work well?

http://s33.postimg.org/ptjl28trz/IMG_3789.jpg

spidermom
May 31st, 2016, 11:33 AM
One tip I know for getting deeper, more long lasting color is to rinse with a pitcher of vinegar water solution first, about 1/4 cup vinegar to a gallon.

pastina
May 31st, 2016, 11:38 AM
Aside from what spidermom said, my tip would be, don't use splat. :p

A good clarifying wash before dying (let hair air-dry and dont use conditioner) usually helps, too.

Anje
May 31st, 2016, 11:52 AM
Now that you've got her hair light, you should be able to use any semi-permanent hair color to re-dye it. As a brand, Special Effects has a good reputation for not fading quickly, but I don't know which blues in which brands are regarded for lasting longest. Those creamy direct dyes (the ones with no developer) can be left on for a few hours, which might help.

*Stella*
May 31st, 2016, 05:55 PM
Yes, you definitely need better products. Asian hair is quite difficult to lift and you want to get at least a golden blonde for blue to show. So a professional quality bleach, and then a better blue dye. Those splat kits are truly dreadful.

meteor
May 31st, 2016, 06:47 PM
Depending on the shade(s) you want to achieve, blue shades (especially the lighter ones) can be tricky to create on hair that isn't very light (or lightened).

One thing that I think can be an amazing option for darker hair is "oil slick" hair colors: google images (https://www.google.ca/search?q=oil+slick+hair&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=667&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiUzunWvIXNAhXp5IMKHbLcCn4Q_AUIBygB)

If the hair is already bleached, you can go for lighter blues of course. I'd recommend going for a "true" semi (developer-free) in the shade you want, to avoid additional damage. Also strand-test first. I'd dye hair over clarified hair and after that avoid over-washing, sun exposure (they all speed up the process of fading). Try covering hair with hats/UV buffs when out in the sun, washing with cooler water, avoiding clarifying and harsh cleansers (CO-washing and pre-poo oiling are nice for this)...

Best of luck! :cheer:

ben_da_destroye
May 31st, 2016, 09:46 PM
thanks everyone

Adorkable One
May 31st, 2016, 10:59 PM
Yep, Splat is better known for being terrible. Lol. It's like it would fade from just being rubbed between my fingers, yet it stains skin terribly. I recommend Special Effects, La Riche Directions, or Pravana Vivids!