PDA

View Full Version : Daily routine to increase hair length - detangling and massaging?

optimisticStar
May 30th, 2016, 07:10 PM
My hair is past hip length now and for some reason the length is increasing very slowly post waist length even though I haven't cut/trimmed my hair for about 4 years now. From waist till hip it took about 2 years. My target is to increase it till knee length first and then further. I wash it twice a week and post wash and drying I oil my hair and that's when I massage and detangle as well i.e. I massage twice a week and detangle twice as well. I don't use any heat or other chemicals. I wash it using Shikakai shampoo bar. It's always in a bun or I roll it up and fix it with big hair clip. I use comb and just do few strokes a day and then put it in a quick bun.

What is your hair care routine like to achieve a certain length? Do you massage and detangle every day?

Lavendersugar
May 30th, 2016, 07:32 PM
Besides good hair care, I eat right. IMO that's the biggest part of hair growth.

To answer your questions, I mostly while washing but I wash and detangle daily.

princesssaffron
May 30th, 2016, 11:30 PM
I massage while I shampoo every day, and detangle daily as well :) If I remember I will also massage for a few minutes before i go to bed

fairy_hair
May 31st, 2016, 12:09 AM
My hair is straight, silky, fine and past classic length now and here is my routine:
1.) Wash hair once every 4-5 days
2.) Use Garnier Ultimate Blends coconut and cocoa butter shampoo and lots of conditioner
3.) Detangle carefully when hair is half dry using a plastic wide tooth comb
4.) Eat plenty of fruit, vegetables, protein and take multivitamins and minerals
5.) Wear hair in a plaited bun held by mini claw clips (most secure for my slippery hair!) everyday
6.) Sleep with it plaited or in a plaited bun
7.) Drink plenty of water
8.) Deep condition with coconut oil every night before washing
9.) Trim 1/4" every month using sharp hair scissors
10.) Lots of S&D
If you follow these tips, it's almost certain you'll see improvements!

lulikrueger
May 31st, 2016, 12:11 AM
My hair has grown, believe it or not, almost 20cm in a little less than a year. I know that because I had an undercut I stopped shaving when I went back to my natural hair color in june or july'15.
The best thing you can do is eat right. I don't really like eating so I'll drink a lot of smoothies and call it a day.
I've also been oiling my scalp before almost every wash(which happens once or twice a week) with castor oil + any other oil I feel like using that day(to thin out the castor oil, since it's super thick) + tea tree and rosemary essential oils. I'll massage it for a few minutes, put on a shower cap and leave it to sit for a few hours. I use regular sulfate-free shampoo, so I'm not sure how well the shampoo bar would remove the goo.
I also massage my scalp everyday. Everything revolves around my scalp.
All my shampoos have cloves or essential oils that help with the circulation(some of those are rosemary, mint, ginger, black pepper, sage and geranium).

I actually really like to care for my scalp, but I still think eating healthy is what helps the most, obviously.

Oh, yes, lots of water! I drink at least a few liters more than recommended daily.

I'm the tangle teezer maniac so I definitely suggest getting one of those. For me, they seem to be gentler than finger detangling.
Low manipulation hairstyles are great for everyday life, I'll put my hair in milkmaid rope braids or a french twist/slide and forget about it for the day.

lapushka
May 31st, 2016, 03:08 AM
I had a stall a while back too. And once you are past waist/hip, it can go slowly!

If it really is not growing I'd look at the routine more closely? I'm not for natural products myself, I always got tangly and velcro-y ends with shikakai, rhassoul or baking soda, so I'm sure that would have damaged my hair more than a regular shampoo ever would - but that's *me*, right?

If your routine is fine for you, there is no need to change it up. I would check to see if there's no breakage at the ends, though, because that *would* mean your routine is not that great.