PDA

View Full Version : Soft pure boar bristle brush?

emmadilemma
May 29th, 2016, 04:32 PM
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, but I'm trying to find a soft pure boar bristle brush. Everywhere I research doesnt seem to list brands. i do have a BBB but its round and stiffer and although its 100% pure, its very large and rounded and I can only get the oils of my hair to like an inch above my ends before it becomes almost impossible to get the oils distributed all the way down. Anyone have a link to buy a 100% pure soft boar bristle brush? :wigtongue

princesssaffron
May 29th, 2016, 07:07 PM
im not sure sorry, i found the same issue so ive started using bamboo/wooden bristle brushes instead! but I would be interested to see if anyone finds a good soft BBB brush!

Obsidian
May 29th, 2016, 07:19 PM
why would a soft BBB work better then a stiff one for distributing oils? I have both and the soft one is worthless, it doesn't do anything besides smooth the very top surface of my hair. I don't remember what brand mine is but I think I got it at walmart. Its square and the bristles are directly in the wood instead of a rubber pad.

Ophidian
May 29th, 2016, 08:27 PM
Soft bristles work pretty well for me but I have to section my hair to brush it or it just smooths the top layers like Obsidian said (and I don't have as much hair as she does :)). I only use it to keep my scalp clean between washes though so sectioning and brushing the few inches closest to my scalp works for me. If you plan on a different use and have thick hair, I agree that you may want a slightly stiffer brush.

As far as finding a 100% natural bristle brush goes, I have seen them Whole Foods, CVS, Target... Conair makes a $7 brush that I'm currently using (bought at Target) and Bass has one for around $13 that I've seen at Whole foods. Amazon also has it. These are definitely on the cheaper end of the spectrum, you can spend a lot more on a fancier brush if you are so inclined. My only advice if you are going with a drugstore brush is to look at the bristles yourself and make sure they aren't mixed with something else, especially if the label says something ambiguous like "boar bristle" instead of "100% boar bristle." HTH!

vega
May 30th, 2016, 03:47 AM
I'm using mason Pearson popular mixed bristles nylon and boar best investment ever and I'm curly and can now brush dry thx to this brush

adrenaline
May 30th, 2016, 09:31 AM
I don't use it myself, but i know someone from German LHC who uses Kent Brushes and reviewed them a while ago. The review and some pictures are here (the pictures are in the spoiler) http://www.langhaarnetzwerk.de/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=25164&start=150. She uses LHS9S (the s at the end stands for "soft"), it's even too soft in her opinion, because it doesn't reach the scalp and it's more like "stroking" than brushing. But it's excellent to distribute the sebum finely all the way down and to make pretty hairstyles. She doesn't recommend the brush for regular brushing, probably another model of Kent Brushes (with stronger bristles) is suitable for this purpose.

Cg
May 30th, 2016, 09:35 AM
I use two Kent brushes, one with stiff bristles and one with really soft ones. I think I got them from Amazon but not certain.

I also use a bamboo bristle brush, but it doesn't distribute the sebum as well as boar.

ChloeDharma
May 30th, 2016, 12:22 PM
Buying a BBB reminds me of Goldilocks porridge. I've brought a few over the years but a couple of years ago needed a new one. The first I brought was REALLY hard, the second was far too soft, then the third I found in TK Maxx was just right and that's the one I use now. I agree with others about the really soft ones, mine just didn't get to my scalp and only really smoothed the top layer of hair despite my hair being fine and thin so I imagine thick hair would hardly notice it!
I hope you find one you like soon.