PDA

View Full Version : Do you apply something to your hair before you braid/bun?

LadyCelestina
May 29th, 2016, 12:48 AM
I'm just curious what do other members use :o

I don't like it but seems that the only thing I can use is spray-in conditioner plus oil. It's the only thing that doesn't make my hair sticky or hard to manipulate and doesn't give me buildup. Or deal with frizzy buns/braids.

Anya15
May 29th, 2016, 01:31 AM
I use a drop or two of oil, usually. If it's VERY frizzy, then some AV gel. I see you are a curly-frizz must be a big problem, right?

Kirby-oh
May 29th, 2016, 01:47 AM
I use a nice light leave in conditioner, also helps when it dries weird.

Simsy
May 29th, 2016, 01:51 AM
Oil if it's being picky. Otherwise, I tend not to worry too much about it. The exception is rope braids before bed, then it's a leave in conditioner and oil. Always helps it feel nice the next day.

Adorkable One
May 29th, 2016, 01:57 AM
I've been using argan oil on damp hair. Oddly, it makes my hair feel sticky, and when it finally dries, it's kinda crunchy until I brush it. But it does double okay at thwarting frizz. I'm just puzzled about why it makes my hair feel weird.

pailin
May 29th, 2016, 03:33 AM
I use a few drops of oil

Hairkay
May 29th, 2016, 04:07 AM
I put a tiny bit of oil to the ends of my damp hair, that's it.

MINAKO
May 29th, 2016, 04:37 AM
Mist with destilled water. Then apply a bit of leave in and a bit of serum.

eadwine
May 29th, 2016, 05:27 AM
Plain water, nothing special. I use a plant spritzer to lightly mist the front so the bangs stay put :)

Mademoiselle
May 29th, 2016, 06:16 AM
I use a bit of olive or argan oil, and a bit of serum =)

Anje
May 29th, 2016, 07:32 AM
If my hair's feeling a little dry, I might smear a bit of oil on it, or on my hands and then run them down the sections as I braid. But I generally go by how my hair feels, rather than putting something in it specifically for a given style. My hair is usually easiest to style and at its most slippery when it's dry, so moistening it with anything just complicates matters.

lithostoic
May 29th, 2016, 08:38 AM
No because moisture makes my hair extremely hard to separate.

Complexity
May 29th, 2016, 09:22 AM
I generally don't bother using anything, but last night I used some coconut oil pre-poo and my hair was probably easier to section than it's ever been.

vampyyri
May 29th, 2016, 09:51 AM
I follow the LOC method right before I braid damp hair and get really soft hair the next morning!

RottenMango
May 2nd, 2019, 06:21 PM
I used to just use leave in conditioner and serum on bun days, but I’ve decided to try the LCO method, or rather LBO method (liquid-butter-oil) to see if I can preserve my ends longer. I’ve currently been using Kiehl’s Olive Oil Leave In Conditioning Cream, raspberry butter, and Macadamia Natural Oil Healing Oil Treatment on my hair after cowashing with Garnier Fructis Damage Eraser Conditioner and before bunning.

AshtangiPNW
May 2nd, 2019, 06:46 PM
Just distilled water in a little mister bottle.....:magic:

Groovy Granny
May 2nd, 2019, 08:54 PM
I apply my Biosilk Lite Therapy Serum before braiding every night, and when I bun my hair post shampoo while getting washed/dressed if I want bun waves.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 3rd, 2019, 01:16 AM
I just mist mine lightly with water.

LadyCelestina
May 3rd, 2019, 01:39 AM
This is an old thread by me, so I will just add that I no longer use a separate spray in conditioner, in order to cut back on plastic! I use regular conditioner and maybe a little bit of oil, or if feeling fancy and the weather is right, I use a bit of aloe. Some days I apply nothing :)

Begemot
May 3rd, 2019, 02:09 AM
It depends. I usually always use a leave-in spray or cream and oil when I braid my hair. Not so often when I make a bun or something like that.

zashin66
May 4th, 2019, 06:41 AM
If I want a particularly difficult to braid style to stay in a couple of days, I braid dry and then mist with water until very damp (water running off my head), pat dry with a towel and then twist the frizzles into ringlets around my hairline. Those hairs around my hairline have always been frizzy. If I catch them damp I can twist them around my finger and carefully withdraw my finger to get finger curls. Then spray those with hairdo spray to keep them from re-frizzing.

Simsy
May 4th, 2019, 06:43 AM
Always oil before styling; but nothing special for particular styles.

zashin66
May 4th, 2019, 07:52 AM
Always oil before styling; but nothing special for particular styles.

I can't oil unfortunately..... Blond hair doesn't look healthy with oil in it. The braid looks strange whenever I have tried oiling first. I love to see all the beautiful dark shiny heads with the gleaming hair from oiling. I have watched many youtube videos of People from India with their long thick hair. I tried some of their techniques but did not get the same results. My hair just looked like I hadn't washed it or cared for it in months. Maybe I have been using the wrong oil for my hair?? My hair just seems to slurp up anything I put in it with no change until there is too much and then I am out of luck.

cjk
May 4th, 2019, 09:03 AM
I can't oil unfortunately..... Blond hair doesn't look healthy with oil in it. The braid looks strange whenever I have tried oiling first.

I disagree. We are different shades of blond but without oil my hair looks, not just dry, but frizzy. Individual results, and all.

Moisture is a good thing, however you get it.

I use a few drops, scrunched in, to lock in my moisture and provide slip.

Too much, though, and I instantly turn into an oil slick. It's a fine line.

Deborah
May 4th, 2019, 11:00 AM
I never add anything before braiding. Mostly I just braid for sleeping anyway, so it does not seem helpful for me.

GrowinIt
May 4th, 2019, 04:48 PM
i just spent about an hour trying to braid my hair. Was trying to get the pulled dutch look down (make the braid, then tug the sides to make it appear fuller), but it just wasn't looking right. I ended up doing a twisted rope braid and called it. I did find that at first, with nothing in my hair, I had a halo of hairs sticking out, so I added a couple of drops of oil, which smoothed it out.

Simsy
May 4th, 2019, 06:19 PM
I can't oil unfortunately..... Blond hair doesn't look healthy with oil in it. The braid looks strange whenever I have tried oiling first. I love to see all the beautiful dark shiny heads with the gleaming hair from oiling. I have watched many youtube videos of People from India with their long thick hair. I tried some of their techniques but did not get the same results. My hair just looked like I hadn't washed it or cared for it in months. Maybe I have been using the wrong oil for my hair?? My hair just seems to slurp up anything I put in it with no change until there is too much and then I am out of luck.

Oil is one of those trial and error bits, I’m afraid. The type of oil, how much you apply, and even if it has any effect are all things that have to worked out. For example, I can’t use coconut or olive oil because it doesn’t soak in so I go with Argan oil; more expensive but my hair loves the stuff. I also have to use a fair bit to get anywhere; a few drops just don’t cut it for my hair.

Also bear in mind that not all heads have the shine. I can oil my head to a absolutely grease pit and I still won’t get that lovely sheen on any style because it’s just not what my hair does. But I still oil because I know the hair at least will appreciate it; even if no one else will get to.

One trick I did figure out was that my hair dries out if I leave it loose for the day. If I over-oil, I can just leave my hair down for a few hours until it’s back in it’s happy place.