View Full Version : New job, new hair routine- need some guidance!

Llama
May 28th, 2016, 06:53 PM
Got a job that is very physically demanding (a first for me, usually have desk jobs) and am being forced to switch my whole routine around. I sweat so much at work that as soon as I get home I HAVE to take a shower. I also am working with chemicals/disinfectants and don't want them to damage my hair. I don't know, can spraying disinfectant on a washcloth somehow work it's way into my hair? I try to close the washcloth over the nozzle so it's not in the air so much.
I used to wash my hair every 4 days and now I'm washing it every other day.
When I was washing every 4 days I used a sulfate shampoo (sometimes sulfate free), lathered on scalp twice and washed the whole length. Conditioned normally.
Since I started working I have been washing with sulfate free shampoo every other day, lathering only once and only on the scalp. And using lots of conditioner. (I have to wear my hair up for work anyways so I'm not that concerned about the ends being too conditioner-y.)

Any thoughts on this routine or tips/advice?
Also, in case anyone wants to suggest conditioner only washing, that particular method does not clean my hair at all and will not work unfortunately :(

:blossom:

Simsy
May 28th, 2016, 07:34 PM
Would covering your hair in a scarf or bandana be an option? Otherwise, I can only suggest lots of buns. That's how I get around the problem as a truck driver. (If you never have to get engine grease out of your hair, consider yourself lucky.)

Llama
May 28th, 2016, 07:47 PM
Would covering your hair in a scarf or bandana be an option? Otherwise, I can only suggest lots of buns. That's how I get around the problem as a truck driver. (If you never have to get engine grease out of your hair, consider yourself lucky.)

I could cover my hair with a scarf but adding even a single layer of material to my head would make it way too hot. I have been wearing my hair in a braided bun so I think it's well contained
I've always thought being a truck driver would be fun- but yeah, no thanks to the engine grease in the hair lol

parkmikii
May 29th, 2016, 01:08 AM
Perhaps you can give scalp only washes a try? That way you can remove the sweat off your scalp while keeping the ends dry and the hair also dries quicker.

May 29th, 2016, 08:14 AM
Maybe oil it slightly before putting up? Like some people recommend oiling before swimming? That would create a barrier?

ameliasuzanne
May 29th, 2016, 11:52 AM
I work as a CNA, and my facility has been desperately understaffed most of the time I've been there, so I'm usually doing the work of about 2 nursing assistants, which means on my feet all day, walking, running, heavy lifting, working with machinery, etc. It's also usually 80+ degrees inside. Honestly, maybe this is gross, but I still try to wash my hair only about 1-2 times a week, every 4 days or so. I use a lot of dry shampoo but zero other products, I put it in braids/twists as much as I can (you can see from my avatar that my hair is still too short for buns!), and make my wash days immediately after work on my Fridays, so that it's clean for my weekend.

You mentioned that you've usually always had desk jobs before this. I would venture to say that your body will also adjust to the new amount of physical activity and you'll sweat less and feel less worn out. My body definitely has.

Pearly~91
May 29th, 2016, 12:14 PM
I used to have a job that had some similar difficulties to those you are facing. I would agree with ameliasuzanne that hopefully your body will adjust at least a little.
I also second parkmikii, you could maybe give scalp washes a try. In my opinion, they really save the lengths from a lot of wear and tear. You could try scalp washing every other time you wash and see how you like it.
Another thing you could try is double buns instead of just the one. In my experience it helps keep your scalp a little cooler.
My last bit of advice for dealing with a hot work environment is to, if you can, put a cool washcloth on the back of your neck when you have a break. Run cool water on a cloth, wring it out so it doesn't drip, and drape it over your neck. You can even blot around your hairline or face if you want. I hope these help.

yogagirl
May 29th, 2016, 12:36 PM
Scalp washes are a great suggestion. I would try that and in addition, since you're already wearing buns, could you cover just the bun with a little scarf or banana? That way you can be pretty sure your length doesn't get subjected to yucky stuff and it shouldn't make you any hotter.

Llama
May 29th, 2016, 06:20 PM
Perhaps you can give scalp only washes a try? That way you can remove the sweat off your scalp while keeping the ends dry and the hair also dries quicker.

I've tried scalp only washing before and it was a frustrating experience lol. Plus it caused my hair to tangle a lot :(

Maybe oil it slightly before putting up? Like some people recommend oiling before swimming? That would create a barrier?

This is a really good idea- definitely going to do this. Thank you!

I work as a CNA, and my facility has been desperately understaffed most of the time I've been there, so I'm usually doing the work of about 2 nursing assistants, which means on my feet all day, walking, running, heavy lifting, working with machinery, etc. It's also usually 80+ degrees inside. Honestly, maybe this is gross, but I still try to wash my hair only about 1-2 times a week, every 4 days or so. I use a lot of dry shampoo but zero other products, I put it in braids/twists as much as I can (you can see from my avatar that my hair is still too short for buns!), and make my wash days immediately after work on my Fridays, so that it's clean for my weekend.

You mentioned that you've usually always had desk jobs before this. I would venture to say that your body will also adjust to the new amount of physical activity and you'll sweat less and feel less worn out. My body definitely has.

I could try just using dry shampoo...I just feel like once I have dry shampoo and sweat in my hair, it's hard to layer more dry shampoo on top of that lol. Maybe I will try this.
I didn't think about my body sweating less once it has adjusted a little, since it won't have to work as hard. That makes sense, cool! I can't wait to be able to come home and not feel like I was hit by a train.
By the way, I love the color of your hair!

I used to have a job that had some similar difficulties to those you are facing. I would agree with ameliasuzanne that hopefully your body will adjust at least a little.
I also second parkmikii, you could maybe give scalp washes a try. In my opinion, they really save the lengths from a lot of wear and tear. You could try scalp washing every other time you wash and see how you like it.
Another thing you could try is double buns instead of just the one. In my experience it helps keep your scalp a little cooler.
My last bit of advice for dealing with a hot work environment is to, if you can, put a cool washcloth on the back of your neck when you have a break. Run cool water on a cloth, wring it out so it doesn't drip, and drape it over your neck. You can even blot around your hairline or face if you want. I hope these help.

Thanks for the tips! Double buns are cute, but I don't know the best way to secure them. Bobby pins? My sticks would be too long.

Scalp washes are a great suggestion. I would try that and in addition, since you're already wearing buns, could you cover just the bun with a little scarf or banana? That way you can be pretty sure your length doesn't get subjected to yucky stuff and it shouldn't make you any hotter.

I laughed at the image of a banana covering a bun- like peeled and plopped on top. Haha
That might be doable though, I just don't know how attractive it would look...on me anyways :)

julee
May 29th, 2016, 08:07 PM
If washing every second day is working ok, I'd say stick with it :thumbsup: my work environment is very warm, at least in the summertime anyway, so I just wash every second day, making sure to condition well and my hair is none the worse for it.

Pearly~91
May 30th, 2016, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the tips! Double buns are cute, but I don't know the best way to secure them. Bobby pins? My sticks would be too long.

I'm not sure what would work best. It would depend on length and thickness and bun size I suppose. I've never had much luck with bobby pins, my hair just spits them out. I use 3 inch u pins when I need to pin. I have a pair of 5 inch acrylic sticks that I use when I want to double bun, and I just use 1 in each bun. Sticks that seem disproportionately long look weird at first, but most people don't notice the difference and I found that I got used to it.

Have you tried spin pins? I've had better luck with those than with bobby pins.