PDA

View Full Version : Very Hard Water, SD, and a dry scalp.

Loktra
May 28th, 2016, 04:34 PM
I seem to have SD, but my scalp also doesn't like to be too dry. Different washing schemes work for a little while and then stop working. Nizoral always works, with the caveat that my scalp really hates being dry, so I usually use non-sulfate shampoos or CO washes in between nizoral washes to hit the "sweet spot" between raging SD and the dull roar of an itchy, dry scalp.

Then I moved to a city with insanely hard water. I dealt with it with ACV rinses at first, then miracle water. However, the very next wash my hair comes out frizzy, not very soft, and with a dull cast. I don't know what, if anything, it is doing to my scalp, but it's getting harder to NOT use nizoral. Which means my scalp is dry, and also that I'm washing it more often which just means getting hard water minerals in it more often. With soft water, I had gotten down to usually washing my hair twice a week, sometimes just once, with nizoral washes just monthly. Whatever is going on with my hard water and scalp right now though, I'm washing every other day or so and my hair and scalp look and feel terrible. I thought there'd be a brief period where I'd need to use nizoral every wash, then things would calm down and I could go back to my old routine, but no dice

How to juggle these issues?

Hard water questions:
Do any shower filters actually soften water?
Do any actually remove chlorine?
Is it safe for hair to use miracle water every wash?

SD questions:
Are there sulfate-free Ketoconozole shampoos and has anyone tried them?
Other treatment options?
Does tea tree oil help this (a friend of mine keeps pushing it)? If so, does it cause problems for sensitive skin?
Any other SD folks have what seem to be separate issues with dry scalp?

Sorry to make such a specific thread when these issues are discussed often. Just at my wits' end with this and not sure how to put together all the information out there for my specific circumstances.

lapushka
May 28th, 2016, 04:49 PM
I seem to have SD, but my scalp also doesn't like to be too dry. Different washing schemes work for a little while and then stop working. Nizoral always works, with the caveat that my scalp really hates being dry, so I usually use non-sulfate shampoos or CO washes in between nizoral washes to hit the "sweet spot" between raging SD and the dull roar of an itchy, dry scalp.

That's exactly what you're not supposed to do. If you have a flare-up, you need to be using Nizoral consistently or it won't do you any good and you won't be totally rid of it, or it might return quicker.

Also, Nizoral calls for washing twice a week! It's the way you're supposed to treat the SD.

For me it usually takes a month to be fully clear after a flare-up (with washing twice a week and using nothing but Nizoral).

You might actually be mistaken a dry scalp for a scalp that hasn't healed properly.

You need to follow directions with Nizoral shampoo or you might as well not use it. :flower:

Loktra
May 29th, 2016, 01:32 AM
Thanks for the reply lapushka! I know you have a lot of SD knowledge so I was hoping you'd stop by!

I know my usual Nizoral usage isn't proper, but it was working really well for me at the time. New water, totally different story.

In this case, I've been using Nizoral two/three or more times a week, and my scalp is doing something weird. It's not quite like SD. It just itches. The flakes, if any, aren't the same, and the feeling is a bit different. The feeling I associate with what I think is SD is sort of pink scaly patches on my skin with small, greasy flakes. No pinkness, just itch, and if there are any flakes they are large and dry. Generally when my scalp has been this way in the past, washing less calmed it down, but there always was the balance between that and a flare-up. I didn't really mean to imply that I know 100% frequent strong washings are the culprit, but my instinct and craving is to wash it less. It feels great on day 3 or so, which is really flirting with danger because generally the 5 day mark is when SD-related irritation and flakies start to happen for me. It's hard to know exactly what is going on since there are really 2 variables: more nizoral washes and new water. When I wasn't using just Nizoral my scalp was up to its old tricks. So I can't really say for sure if the scalp discomfort is due to the water, the frequent shampooings, or both.

I do lean toward it being more related to the water, and despite feeling like this is the case I still hate washing it so much just because of the nature of the discomfort reminding me of daily harsh shampooings.

Anya15
May 29th, 2016, 01:39 AM
At my parents' we have very hard water - we installed a water softener that softens the water using the ion exchange process. It helped a LOT.

I have SD too but my scalp doesn't like sulfates.

Loktra
May 29th, 2016, 01:51 AM
I grew up in a house with well water but a softener. It was heavenly. My skin and hair loved it.

I live in an apartment now so I can't do that, although I have seen large in-shower softeners that are basically wide and long sections of PVC pipe filled with ion exchange resin. They were also like $200 dollars. I will likely save for one if I can't find any other solution, but it won't be soon.

Edit to add: I have a culligan filter shower head and it doesn't seem to help much at all. I don't know if that's because it doesn't do much, or if my water is just really bad.

lapushka
May 29th, 2016, 04:42 AM
You could try scalp-only washings. You tie your hair up and out of the way, and don't bother with the lengths (they are to be kept dry). Then you just go to town on your scalp. Saves you a little trouble.

I can't quite explain why you're having those issues. But I would not try stretching washing it. I have hard water too, have had it all my life and the Nizoral just works with 2 washings a week (about a month for a flare-up). Maybe the Nizoral isn't strong enough. Is it the 2%? Or, maybe it has stopped working for you and you need a different shampoo with this water.

Anje
May 29th, 2016, 07:47 AM
Hard water questions:
Do any shower filters actually soften water?
To my knowledge, shower filters might effectively soften water by chelating the ions like calcium and magnesium in the water, but they don't actually remove them like an ion exchange softener would. Still, if it stops them from binding to your hair and skin and soap, that's pretty good. I use an ion exchange softener in my house, but it's frequently not an option if you rent and represents a lot more of an investment.

Do any actually remove chlorine?
I believe the ones that include Vitamin C/ascorbic acid do. My husband used one in an apartment in Cincinnati for that specific purpose, and it made an enormous difference for his hair and skin, which were getting severely dried out. You could smell the chlorine in the air when he showered before that, and that's arguably not safe for your lungs, either. The packaging on the filter should tell you, but using them for chlorine removal is pretty common.

Is it safe for hair to use miracle water every wash?
I believe so. The person who invented it did, and a lot of people rinse with dilute vinegar and leave it in after each wash. If you want to be cautious, it might be worth purchasing pH strips so you can ensure that what you've mixed up is not too acidic and adjust your recipe accordingly for your water. A pH between 5 and 6 is good for hair and is common for conditioners. Definitely don't go below 4. Link (http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2013/07/ph-and-your-hair-little-redox-to-make.html)

Obsidian
May 29th, 2016, 10:05 AM
when I have a SD flair and need to use my medicated shampoo (selenium sulfide 2.5), it actually makes my scalp itch worse for a day or two after each washing then once the sores start to heal, they get flaky and dry.
I have to use sulfates to keep my scalp very clean and I can't let conditioner or oils touch my scalp at all. I do use diluted ACV after ever wash if I'm not too lazy to mix it up and use it lol. It actually seems to help with the dryness and the hard water. I've so started using aloe juice on my hair but I plan to dilute it and try it for a rinse next time I have a healing flair in the hopes it will sooth the skin.
It sounds like you haven't gotten a official diagnoses yet. You really should see a doctor next time you flair, make sure its even SD before you continue to self medicate.