PDA

View Full Version : It's Wash Day! What Do You Think of This Method?

Complexity
May 28th, 2016, 03:52 PM
So, it's wash day and i didn't end up making it to town to buy new hair stuff like I was supposed to. Here's what I have at my disposal right now:

- Down Under Naturals Hypoallergenic S&C (my hair doesn't particularly love them, but doesn't seem to hate them either. I just find that I can't stretch my washes for as long when I use them).
- H&S Peppermint and Tea Tree Cooling Relief Shampoo (was a sample I received. My hair seems to really like it when used with the conditioner, but now I have no conditioner left).
- White Vinegar.My hair felt especially gross this morning, but I'm not sure if it's because of what I last used (the DU stuff) or because I was sweating while I slept last night.

Plan of Action:
I was thinking about using the H&S as a clarifier (since it's fairly harsh) and then doing a vinegar rinse (would be my first ever) since we have hard water here. I know I'd have to mix the vinegar with water if I took this route I plan to just kind of eyeball it. Oh, I've never clarified either if that makes a difference.

Has anyone done something similar and/or do you have any thoughts on why this would be a good or bad idea? It's currently 600 degrees here (not complaining!), so I'm going to wait until it cools down some before I head for the shower (leaving lots of time for comments and advice!).

Thanks in advance, folks. Hope you're having a beautiful day!

lapushka
May 28th, 2016, 03:59 PM
I'd just use the milder shampoo, especially if you have no conditioner left. Otherwise, can you postpone your wash day by a day, and go get the necessary products? Might be a tad easier. :)

Complexity
May 28th, 2016, 04:04 PM
Doesn't look like I'll make it into down until at least Tuesday, unfortunately :(

Oh, and I do have coconut oil.

EDIT: I do have conditioner as well, it's just the DU stuff as opposed to the H&S one,

lapushka
May 28th, 2016, 04:10 PM
If you have an oil, that's great. Use it as a pre-poo, on your lengths only. Just lightly coat your hair with it. Then shampoo the scalp and let the suds travel down (and use the milder shampoo). I would not use the vinegar after. Then after hair comes out of the towel, take a few drops of oil spread it through your palms and scrunch it into your lengths. Done. Should work.

Complexity
May 28th, 2016, 04:35 PM
Is there a particular reason you'd skip the vinegar? I thought that since we have hard water, it should help. No?

How long does the oil need to sit (aka should I be doing it now)?

lapushka
May 28th, 2016, 04:46 PM
I'm not a fan of vinegar myself, that's why. For me it does nothing. But YMMV. If you've used it before, definitely don't leave it out because of me, but if you've not used it before, I'd not do it (not everything all at once, never a good idea).

spidermom
May 28th, 2016, 04:58 PM
When I was at my father's house in Ohio where the water is hard, vinegar was essential for decent hair. Otherwise it was dull and snarly, and I could feel that it had "stuff" in it. With vinegar, it felt more normal.

Vinegar does nothing but make my hair crazy fly-away where I am now; we have soft water.

You don't have to match your conditioner to your shampoo as long as you do not have both on your hair at the same time.

Complexity
May 28th, 2016, 04:58 PM
Never used it before. But it would really be the only 'new' thing (short of using the H&S shampoo without the conditioner, but you've already convinced me to cross that out :))

lapushka
May 28th, 2016, 04:59 PM
You don't have to match your conditioner to your shampoo as long as you do not have both on your hair at the same time.

Oh! Definitely not. I never match any conditioner to my shampoo. :)

Complexity
May 28th, 2016, 05:02 PM
When I was at my father's house in Ohio where the water is hard, vinegar was essential for decent hair. Otherwise it was dull and snarly, and I could feel that it had "stuff" in it. With vinegar, it felt more normal.

Vinegar does nothing but make my hair crazy fly-away where I am now; we have soft water.

I'm not sure that my hair's ever been in super great condition, so I'm not really sure whether it feels like it has stuff in it or not.

And i don't usually worry too much about mixing S&Cs; the reason I brought it up in this case is because the H&S conditioner was meant to go on the scalp as well as the length (I'm guessing because of the harshness of the shampoo? I'm not sure). Any other time, I've only used conditioner on the length.

Complexity
May 28th, 2016, 06:20 PM
So, I oiled the crap out of the ends, braided it (which was easier to section than I think it's ever been!), and claw clipped it up in a cinnabun. I'm still on the fence about the vinegar thing. I'll likely base my final decision on how easy the oil is to wash out lol (the more difficult it is, the less likely I am to want to add another step :p)

nakima
May 29th, 2016, 12:50 PM
I happen to like a vinegar rinse once in awhile when I feel that I'm getting build up it makes my hair feel soft and shiny. I don't do it very often tho only when I feel the need, couple 2 or 3 times a year. Maybe give it a try the next time you wash it won't hurt to try :shrug: