PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for first hair toy?

egg99
March 21st, 2008, 11:56 AM
So many of you have such beautiful updos etc, and I've looked at so many pretty pictures of your hair toys. Before coming to LHC, I've only worn my hair one of two ways: up or down.

Now, I'd really like to get into hair toys and experiment with some up dos, but I don't know where to start. Would anyone like to tell me about your first hair toys or recommend something?

(P.S. Sorry if this topic has been discussed before)!

hrimfaxi
March 21st, 2008, 12:09 PM
I would personally suggest a nice hairfork or a Ficcare as they tend to hold better than sticks for me, and more comfortably, but my hair isn't that long so you may be better off waiting for other members to chime in. :)

icydove
March 21st, 2008, 12:17 PM
I prefer forks over hairsticks, especially at longer lengths. However, if you have no other toys and you don't plan to purchase more in the near future, I would go with hairsticks just because they are more versatile.

Chamomile betty
March 21st, 2008, 12:24 PM
I suggest the Ficcare also. I've had mine for years.
The Innovation for buns and the Maximas for twists.

Whatever you choose I am sure you'll enjoy it.
Good luck.

artemis
March 21st, 2008, 12:40 PM
Personally, I'd get some cheap, plastic hairsticks (something in the $1-2 range) just to practice with and then spend a little more on something that looks good with your hair. I know that when I first started wearing my hair up, I broke more hairsticks than I care to count, just trying to get the hang of things.

Nightshade
March 21st, 2008, 12:45 PM
Personally, I'd get some cheap, plastic hairsticks (something in the $1-2 range) just to practice with and then spend a little more on something that looks good with your hair. I know that when I first started wearing my hair up, I broke more hairsticks than I care to count, just trying to get the hang of things.

I second this. My first harsticks were cheap ones from Claire's and while I am all for quality hair toys, there is a learning curve. Plastic is nice, but tends to be a bit blunt for my hair, but some nice inexpensive wood ones would be a good place to start. That also lets you experiment a little to see what sort of usable length you'd need before you go plunk down some uber-cash on nicer toys.

You could also keep your eyes on the swap board for toys, or check out members with a similar length/thickness/hair type to see what works best for them.

I find I can do more styles with sticks than forks, though I can turn cartwheels in some of my forks and my hair woud never fall out. Ficcare's are nice, but I'm finding I like forks more.

So for me:

Sticks> Forks>Ficcare> "normal" hair toys like jaw clips.

Alaia
March 21st, 2008, 12:46 PM
eBay is your friend. Especially being in the UK it's a little bit easier I find.

My first hairtoy (now lost to me, alas) was a hairstick which I'd lost on eBay then got custom made for me.

It's a good idea to pop to your local branch of Claire's or Accessorize though, they usually have some cheap hairsticks which are good to learn on (though you may have to file down some plastic seams).

When you're ready to shell out a bit more for a decent pair of hairsticks you'll be glad of the practice.

I may recommend the Treasures from the Tree store on eBay (Ketylo to you and me), they have lovely pairs of sticks for £9 or £11 which I am hankering after myself right now.

Tapioca
March 21st, 2008, 12:48 PM
Hey, we could be hairtwins, even down to the color. My hair is 2b/M/iii, and probably 37 or 38 inches long. It's at my waist.
Ficcares don't work for me. The only way I could get one to hold was by inserting it into the bun, but then the pretty part was covered, and I couldn't see spending that much money if it wasn't visible.
Wooden hairforks work nice on me, and sticks are good, too. I agree with artemis that you don't want to spend too much money on something that may not work. For cheap hairsticks, I'd go with VK designs. http://www.vkdesignsandfindings.com/ Their sticks are only $6 each, and they're very pretty. I use the 6" ones for a full bun. Another cheap option is getting a 1/4" dowel, cutting it to length, using a pencil sharpener to make a point, and sanding it down. I have a bunch of those, and they're my go-to toys. I oil them with a bit of jojoba to make them look nice.

Kittee
March 21st, 2008, 12:49 PM
I have to say while I like my Ficcare, it doesn't like to stay "snuggly" in my hair. But they are classy and beautiful!

My favorite toy is my hair fork. I wouldn't go anywhere without it! Truely amazing tool.

Then I like my sticks and pins.

Hope that helps!

AJoifulNoise
March 21st, 2008, 12:55 PM
Another vote for sticks from Claire's. Everytime I stop there they are have a sale of some kind. I can usually pick up a armload of toys for cheap. And, I haven't snapped one yet. Though, I do have to file down seams.

I also have an Icing near me which is a more "grown up" version of Claire's, but is the same company. They tend to have more polished toys (ie, they file down seams for you).

I can't really buy anything online, so that's all I have. And, it works just fine for me!

Patrycja
March 21st, 2008, 01:43 PM
I've goit tons of sticks from claires too.They wre my first toy and I still get them.I do tend to break them though-attempting to do a new updo.I also bought a cheapo plastic hair fork from Scunci and I still have it.I use that thing all the time.

If you're not wanting a ficcare quite yet-look for a fakkare(aka knockoff).Yes-it doesn't give you the ficcare hold but its tons cheaper.I bought a small one from CVS for 5 bucks or so.That was 2 years ago and again,I still have it.I'm upset it doesn't hold a french twist though :(

Celogrl
March 21st, 2008, 01:47 PM

I second this! Now, due to my trying the el cheapo method, I have a pretty good collection of hair thing$!:cool:

Islandgrrl
March 21st, 2008, 02:09 PM
I'd also recommend hairsticks. They're very versatile and easy to use. If you have an asian market somewhere nearby, head over to their kitchen department and look for inexpensive lacquered chopsticks. I often buy (for less than $2 a pair) childrens chopstics because they're a bit shorter than regular ones and seem just the right length to double as hairsticks.

Even at knee length hairsticks have always been my fave.

eadwine
March 21st, 2008, 02:13 PM
I would recommend a flexi-8 :) They are not too expensive, yet they ARE different, and more special than your every day toy, AND they can be inserted in a bun just like a hairstick can (just that you have the decoration that lays over the top :)).

manyhorsesmane
March 21st, 2008, 02:29 PM
My hubby found this site whilst looking up Shawl pins, of all things:
http://www.blueheronwoods.com/HairSticks-c-9.html
They are a bit pricey but are they gorgeous!

Hey and I found out where those jeweled hair clips are we keep seeing in the banner here~ has anyone tried the Puka hairclips?

http://www.beadshopusa.com/products.php?pid=19&PHPSESSID=ec2633f0028bafe1e8b1631392f0483b

khyricat
March 21st, 2008, 02:55 PM
sticks/forks are about tied with me, I do seem to be using more forks recently, but thats because they hold like a rock without much effort to put in for work.. sticks take a bit longer sometimes because of the styles I tend to wear them with.. I know I can't use a stick by itself to hold my tilted bee butt for example or an orchid bun.. I need 2 sticks or a fork for those..

ficarre comes next, and then all the other stuff.

Delila
March 21st, 2008, 02:59 PM
My hubby found this site whilst looking up Shawl pins, of all things:
http://www.blueheronwoods.com/HairSticks-c-9.html
They are a bit pricey but are they gorgeous!

Yes, but let's remember that people have had SERIOUS problems attempting to do business with Blue Heron Woods. Delays, total lack of communication, the list of problems goes on and on.

Pretty stuff, but buyer beware.

I'd suggest getting some metal double ended knitting needles, and bending them in two to make some hair pins. The brighter colors look quite cheerful/playful.

I love my Baerreis forks, I love the curve in the ones I have, they're really, really comfortable.

I'm a definite Mei Fa fan, but if you've never worn hairsticks, I recommend trying something cheaper first, just to see whether or not they suit you.

Ficcare are great, but my favorite style of all is the Maximas in medium. When my hair gets too long for one, I plan to just use two. I can't imagine that I'll ever have too much hair for even that. :)

Elleyena
March 21st, 2008, 03:07 PM
I like my Que Craft hair stick. I've also got another hair stick that my mom found in a bag of stuff from Goodwill.

Anje
March 21st, 2008, 03:12 PM
I'll add a vote for running to Claire's or Icing at the mall and get a pair of cheap metal hairsticks (hold up better than the plastic ones), if you can find some. Another option is to go to an Asian food store, World Market, or maybe Pier One (haven't checked there) and get some pretty lacquered or varnished chopsticks. (Preferably ones without rough tips.) You can cut them shorter if they're too long (which they probably will be) and sand them down to a point with sandpaper or a nail file.

Ficcares are great if you want to spend the money, but I'd look for a cheap metal knockoff with a strong spring first, if I were you. Walgreens, CVS, and my local grocery store have had some for under $10 in the past that look like a Ficcare Maxima clip and work pretty well. The real thing is better, but this could give you an idea of whether you like that sort of clip.

Another great option for starting out with this stuff is to go to Wally world or a local craft store and buy some thin aluminum double-pointed knitting needles. They can be used as hairsticks, or you can bend them in the middle into a U shape (some bend around a doorknob or dowel, I just use my fingers). They make great hairfork-like pins.

egg99
March 22nd, 2008, 02:01 PM
Thanks so much everyone for all the advice :) I think I'll be paying a visit to Claire's very soon :) I can't wait to try out some stuff!