PDA

View Full Version : Hair dye regret...advice?

kitana97
May 27th, 2016, 04:57 PM
-EDIT- added before/after pics

I haven't been on here in a while since I've been busy with school but this last quarter I have been going through a weird phase as I'm graduating soon. Impulsively I decided to put blonde highlights in my hair (not bleach) and I haven't put color on it in 4 years. I don't know what I was thinking, I love my red hair so much and love keeping things natural. Instantly I had regret and I still feel sick to my stomach knowing that it will be on my hair for years to come.

What I don't like is that I can see the highlights on the top of my head and I hate it. Should I go back to the salon and have them cover up the highlights with a color that matches my own hair or should I just wait it out and not mess with it anymore? I'm so bummed that I put anything on my virgin hair..ugh I think because I'm about to graduate and feeling a lot of anxiety that I need something completely unlike myself :(

ivy-marie
May 27th, 2016, 05:32 PM
First I would consider how much you dislike your hair at the moment. If you will be terribly unhappy with yourself while its growing out then, yes, dye it back. However depending upon the stylist it could cause more damage. We are our own worst critics and I'm sure the highlights look nice, you may not be used to it. If you choose to grow it out it would look like an intentional ombre. I would say just try and take good care of it and enjoy the change for a while. If the demarcation line bothers you try crown braids ect.

kitana97
May 27th, 2016, 05:35 PM
I'm wondering how much damage the dye does it my hair. The stylist said that it does about 7% damage..I wonder if that's true or if it's even more damage. Its just that it looks very stripey at the top of my head and I hate that.

Ophidian
May 27th, 2016, 05:41 PM
I don't have much advice, but I have empathy (also sympathy) :grouphug:

All I can say is that when I have made hair decisions that I regret, my impulse is to do something drastic to "fix" it. i.e. I bleached my hair and hated it so I shaved it all off. Your situation does not sound this dire, but if I were in your shoes I might consider having the highlights matched to my hair color so that I don't have a constant reminder of a decision I didn't feel good about. I am not a dye expert but maybe others can jump in with more specific suggestions. Your hair is long so it seems like waiting it out could take a while. I don't think there's a right decision, just the one that will make you most comfortable.

I am going through a weird pre-graduating phase too so I can relate to feeling a little off-kilter and wanting a change. Hugs!

pastina
May 27th, 2016, 05:42 PM
Well, if the streaks are lighter, there was bleach involved. Well, peroxide. Which is what does the damage.

Regardless, if you're really not liking the new highlights, you could put a semi over them in a color close to your natural color. It wont be perfect, but it'll tone down the contrast and won't cause any additional damage.

Eta-- I should also say that, chances are, if you go back to a salon and have them color correct it, they'll most likely use permanent dyes which mean more damage.

kitana97
May 27th, 2016, 05:51 PM
Thanks Ophidian :) I think I might ask about putting a semi on it like pastina recommended. If it doesn't cause damage then I could have this done 2-3 times maybe until it grows out? I can't see it as much on my hair below my neck but everything above there looks stripey. Do you know how long semis last?

Llama
May 27th, 2016, 06:02 PM
If the problem is that the highlights look too harsh, might just need to wait for it to fade a little and you might like it more.
I also like the semi-perm color suggestion

Obsidian
May 27th, 2016, 07:28 PM
Its hard to see your shade of red in your avie but maybe you could cover the streaks with a henna blend?

kitana97
May 27th, 2016, 08:38 PM
Hm its more of a copper/auburn, kind of like a penny but with more brown. I would love to cover it up with henna but I only want the highlights touched - not anything else. So maybe I could ask the hair stylist if he could use henna on it if I brought it in?

Ophidian
May 27th, 2016, 08:56 PM
Maybe the stylist would do it for you, but I think it's typically a DIY affair unless you have a rather open minded stylist :). I have used henna before, but I'm not the expert that some around here are, but my thought is that as henna does not have the damage potential that many dyes do and might even protect the highlighted strands while they grow out, it might be worth getting some and doing a strand test to see how it looks?

ETA: to keep it from getting on your non-highlighted hair, you could wrap the hennaed pieces in plastic wrap and clip to hold. That said, if you have a ton of highlights it might be hard to do it yourself without hennaing your whole head. I'm sure others can give you more specific ideas, but hopefully this helps somewhat!

pastina
May 27th, 2016, 08:58 PM
Semis last a decently long time on processed hair-- reds especially last WAAAY longer than even their permanent counterparts. My color usually stays bright until I literally take measures to fade it.

kitana97
May 27th, 2016, 08:58 PM
So I guess I would pick apart the highlights with a comb or something and then put the henna on and stick it in foil? I wonder how much damage I put on those blonde strands...

Seeshami
May 27th, 2016, 08:59 PM
I feel like saying henna gloss but I really don't know .......

pastina
May 27th, 2016, 09:01 PM
It depends on what volume developer the stylist used, how much heat was applied during processing, and whether or not your hair was previously processed.

My inclination is to say it's not beyond hope. Just baby it for a while! Try some protein conditioner, and don't use any other products containing peroxide for (at least) a month.

Lavendersugar
May 27th, 2016, 10:18 PM
I'm not aware of any lightening at a salon that does not use some type of bleach to pull out color. AFAIK it's not possible. Sometimes they use a mixture and it tones at the sand time so many think bleach is not involved. Developers are always needed and in combo that's where the damage happens.

A Demi is the way to go here. A true semi does not use a developer and therefore washes out fast. It is rare for a semi to stay in past 2 weeks unless you've done repeat applications or you just are lucky. I'm not sure why store brands call their products that need a developer a semi. Even a 5v developer plus color is a Demi.
Demi will deposit only but it will last longer and almost all of them leave a beautiful gloss.
Now you might need touch ups as Demi color will fade faster than permanent color but both will fade over lightened hair. Sometimes after the second application color stays and looks fine enough to not need anything else.

Here's the thing, putting on a Demi at home is easy but getting the right color is tricky. You are dealing now with more open cuticles and will absorb differently. Next you have to take in consideration the base color of the hair vs the dye being used. The last thing you want to do is mess up your hair and need a big color correction.

I'd ask for Demi and if a salon won't do it I'd find one that will.

That all being said, maybe give it some time. The color might grow on you. Give it two weeks. Who knows you may feel differently. Plus the grow out will start to look different and seeing it lower in the hair might work for you.

Forgot to add, of you try to henna please, please strand test. Henna over lightened hair can look a lot different than you expect. It can also feel different.

Goddessa
May 27th, 2016, 10:25 PM
If it's just a one time thing then your hair damage wise is probably fine. I see you worrying excessively about damage and how it's not virgin anymore and worrying that i might be 7%(????) more damaged than before. It was only when I dyed my hair over and over again and then added rough care and heat that I noticed mine was fried. My ombred previously virgin ends even look pretty healthy now. I notice people on here who have unnaturally colored hair and it still looks good. If you genuinely don't like the way they look then that's another thing, but is there a way to maybe appreciate them and have fun in the mean time? Some intricate updos look so amazing with different colors and streaks in them. Also your stylist would likely be able to blend them in better upon request. Since it's not your whole head I would see what her/his efforts might be to make you a satisfied customer. They survive by having a loyal clientele and are often very accommodating. Mine took me from mohawks to complicated bleach and dye jobs to edgey pixies and when I said I wanted to grow my hair out and be natural she said "Okie dokie let me trim as little as needed for damage and let's skip the straightener."

kitana97
May 28th, 2016, 02:45 PM
It depends on what volume developer the stylist used, how much heat was applied during processing, and whether or not your hair was previously processed.

My inclination is to say it's not beyond hope. Just baby it for a while! Try some protein conditioner, and don't use any other products containing peroxide for (at least) a month.

There wasn't any heat used during the processing except for a couple minutes of him blow drying it. I spoke with him last night and he said he would be able to put on a DEMI color over the highlights. Is a demi the same thing as a semi?

kitana97
May 28th, 2016, 02:49 PM
I'm not aware of any lightening at a salon that does not use some type of bleach to pull out color. AFAIK it's not possible. Sometimes they use a mixture and it tones at the sand time so many think bleach is not involved. Developers are always needed and in combo that's where the damage happens.

A Demi is the way to go here. A true semi does not use a developer and therefore washes out fast. It is rare for a semi to stay in past 2 weeks unless you've done repeat applications or you just are lucky. I'm not sure why store brands call their products that need a developer a semi. Even a 5v developer plus color is a Demi.
Demi will deposit only but it will last longer and almost all of them leave a beautiful gloss.
Now you might need touch ups as Demi color will fade faster than permanent color but both will fade over lightened hair. Sometimes after the second application color stays and looks fine enough to not need anything else.

Here's the thing, putting on a Demi at home is easy but getting the right color is tricky. You are dealing now with more open cuticles and will absorb differently. Next you have to take in consideration the base color of the hair vs the dye being used. The last thing you want to do is mess up your hair and need a big color correction.

I'd ask for Demi and if a salon won't do it I'd find one that will.

That all being said, maybe give it some time. The color might grow on you. Give it two weeks. Who knows you may feel differently. Plus the grow out will start to look different and seeing it lower in the hair might work for you.

Forgot to add, of you try to henna please, please strand test. Henna over lightened hair can look a lot different than you expect. It can also feel different.

Thank you! That's really good information. I called the guy that did it and he said he would be able to go over the highlights with a demi on Wednesday. I'm just really hoping I won't be more upset with it then than I am know. He said that there was ammonia/peroxide in the highlights. Do you know about how much damage that causes to the hair? He also used about 15 foils so I'm wondering what percentage of my hair was actually highlighted - I'm curious how much of my hair in total I damaged.

spidermom
May 28th, 2016, 03:16 PM
Before going to have this done, experiment with different places to part your hair and different styles. You might just find that your highlights look good with the right style.

kitana97
May 28th, 2016, 03:21 PM
I typically only wear my hair down or in a low bun. It looks a bit better in the low bun because I can't see the demarcation line as much. I am nervous about going back to get the demi but if the demi imparts no damage and it will only cover the highlights and its free then I guess there isn't any harm. I'm wondering what could be possible negative effects from getting the demi...

kitana97
May 31st, 2016, 12:02 PM
So I think I'm going to just let it be and not do anything. I read that demi's can still cause damage as they have to penetrate the cuticle to deposit the hair color. I took spidermom's advice and found that a pulled back low bun or a halfup bun helps mask the highlights. Here a couple pictures of the before and after - I'm hoping that since its not very radical that in a few months it will have grown out enough to not tell very much.

Before

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a633/kitana971/hair/2016-05-31%2010.38.59_zpsg0onzkql.jpg

After

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a633/kitana971/hair/20160531_085813_zps0u3bzzrp.jpg

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a633/kitana971/hair/2016-05-31%2010.32.14_zpskdssfge6.jpg

JadedByEntropy
May 31st, 2016, 01:02 PM
im glad you're holding off on any more dye here. It looks fine! and you'll know for next time? :) Relax and enjoy your graduation!

kitana97
May 31st, 2016, 01:53 PM
im glad you're holding off on any more dye here. It looks fine! and you'll know for next time? :) Relax and enjoy your graduation!

Ya I'm taking it as a learning lesson to just let things be! Thank you, I'm sure in a couple weeks I'll get more used to it and relax..*fingers crossed*

meteor
May 31st, 2016, 02:35 PM
I'm very late on this thread and can't see the pictures in the OP, but I love the pictures on this page. Your hair looks gorgeous! :crush:
If you worry about striping, it will get more "lived in" and ombre-like with time on its own, or you could ask to blend in the demarcation line or lengthen roots or add lowlights or something. Be super-specific about the color variations you want and bring clear photos. :)

There wasn't any heat used during the processing except for a couple minutes of him blow drying it. I spoke with him last night and he said he would be able to put on a DEMI color over the highlights. Is a demi the same thing as a semi?

If they used foils, that's enough to keep the heat to help it process faster. A demi uses low-level developer, a *true* semi doesn't - it just deposits color. When a true semi fades, you shouldn't be left with lifted base color, though some semis take ages to fade (a lot depends on your hair, the specific products, you wash routine, etc etc)

Thank you! That's really good information. I called the guy that did it and he said he would be able to go over the highlights with a demi on Wednesday. I'm just really hoping I won't be more upset with it then than I am know. He said that there was ammonia/peroxide in the highlights. Do you know about how much damage that causes to the hair? He also used about 15 foils so I'm wondering what percentage of my hair was actually highlighted - I'm curious how much of my hair in total I damaged.

When you think about damage from highlights (how did they come up with 7% damage by the way? :hmm: ), it's not just about the strands that got bleached, it's also about the contribution to tangling for the whole mane. The difference in porosity and the way strands glide against each other really add up... I always found hair much harder to detangle after a while, after getting highlights.

lapushka
May 31st, 2016, 02:36 PM
I thought from your description that it was waaay worse. This is pretty. But of course if you don't like it, that's another issue. I like it. It's pretty. :) :flower:

kitana97
May 31st, 2016, 02:54 PM
I'm very late on this thread and can't see the pictures in the OP, but I love the pictures on this page. Your hair looks gorgeous! :crush:
If you worry about striping, it will get more "lived in" and ombre-like with time on its own, or you could ask to blend in the demarcation line or lengthen roots or add lowlights or something. Be super-specific about the color variations you want and bring clear photos. :)

If they used foils, that's enough to keep the heat to help it process faster. A demi uses low-level developer, a *true* semi doesn't - it just deposits color. When a true semi fades, you shouldn't be left with lifted base color, though some semis take ages to fade (a lot depends on your hair, the specific products, you wash routine, etc etc)

When you think about damage from highlights (how did they come up with 7% damage by the way? :hmm: ), it's not just about the strands that got bleached, it's also about the contribution to tangling for the whole mane. The difference in porosity and the way strands glide against each other really add up... I always found hair much harder to detangle after a while, after getting highlights.

Thanks :) I just don't like it because I feel like I don't recognize myself anymore and it really isn't what I wanted. I still have no idea what compelled me to call the salon after 4 years..

That's a good idea about blending in the demarcation line - that way only a little bit of the top part of my hair will be touched. I'm still a bit confused on semis vs demis then. So a demi does cause some damage so it uses a low level developer? And a semi doesn't hurt your hair at all? If I got a semi would it not fade back to this base golden color?

I have no idea where he came up with 7%. He told me that highlights do 7% damage and straight bleach highlights do 30% damage. I'm still scratching my head on that one.

Ya, I've noticed a little bit of tangles since the highlights but barely noticeable so hopefully that means not too much of my hair was touched since it was only 15 foils but I feel like I can see these dang highlights everywhere! grrr

kitana97
May 31st, 2016, 02:55 PM
I thought from your description that it was waaay worse. This is pretty. But of course if you don't like it, that's another issue. I like it. It's pretty. :) :flower:

Thanks..I'm hoping that it just looks wayy worse to me and that it really isn't that big of a change?

meteor
May 31st, 2016, 03:53 PM
Thanks :) I just don't like it because I feel like I don't recognize myself anymore and it really isn't what I wanted. I still have no idea what compelled me to call the salon after 4 years..

That's a good idea about blending in the demarcation line - that way only a little bit of the top part of my hair will be touched. I'm still a bit confused on semis vs demis then. So a demi does cause some damage so it uses a low level developer? And a semi doesn't hurt your hair at all? If I got a semi would it not fade back to this base golden color?

I have no idea where he came up with 7%. He told me that highlights do 7% damage and straight bleach highlights do 30% damage. I'm still scratching my head on that one.

Ya, I've noticed a little bit of tangles since the highlights but barely noticeable so hopefully that means not too much of my hair was touched since it was only 15 foils but I feel like I can see these dang highlights everywhere! grrr

Yes, *true* semis shouldn't hurt hair, but you need to research the product (confirm it's a true semi, developer-free) and triple-check if you are at a salon. Some products are marketed as "semis" but are demis in reality, as they use low vol. peroxide. I know some people (and have read reports here on the LHC as well) who were told at the salon they were getting a semi or a semi type toner and they still used developer! So be very vigilant.
A demi (with low-level developer) will fade typically more slowly than a semi, though red semi dyes often last a very, very long time indeed (this does depend on the color - pigment a bit). And a demi will leave behind lifted (typically brassier, lighter...) base, because of peroxide use. A semi won't do that.

About tangling - personally, I didn't notice it right away, it got worse only with time, since damage is cumulative and bleached hair is always weaker than its virgin equivalent. The same applies to splitting or breakage - it can take a while (wear & tear) to start developing... So I'd be proactive and give hair both penetrating oils and hydrolyzed protein treatments as soon as it feels "different". If the hair gets unusually stretchy when wet and very brittle when dry, I'd use some heavy duty protein treatment like Aphogee 2-step or gelatin DIY mask. If you don't get to that stage (you shouldn't, since there wasn't much lift), just use good conditioning treatments, oiling when needed, use seamless wide-tooth combs, don't over-wash/over-comb/over-manipulate it, try sleeping on silky smooth materials and wearing hair up as much as possible to reduce wear & tear, etc...

Ophidian
May 31st, 2016, 03:55 PM
Thanks..I'm hoping that it just looks wayy worse to me and that it really isn't that big of a change?

I'm with lapushka I understand that it feels like a big change to you but honestly in those pictures at least I notice only a slight difference :blossom:

kitana97
May 31st, 2016, 06:14 PM
Yes, *true* semis shouldn't hurt hair, but you need to research the product (confirm it's a true semi, developer-free) and triple-check if you are at a salon. Some products are marketed as "semis" but are demis in reality, as they use low vol. peroxide. I know some people (and have read reports here on the LHC as well) who were told at the salon they were getting a semi or a semi type toner and they still used developer! So be very vigilant.
A demi (with low-level developer) will fade typically more slowly than a semi, though red semi dyes often last a very, very long time indeed (this does depend on the color - pigment a bit). And a demi will leave behind lifted (typically brassier, lighter...) base, because of peroxide use. A semi won't do that.

About tangling - personally, I didn't notice it right away, it got worse only with time, since damage is cumulative and bleached hair is always weaker than its virgin equivalent. The same applies to splitting or breakage - it can take a while (wear & tear) to start developing... So I'd be proactive and give hair both penetrating oils and hydrolyzed protein treatments as soon as it feels "different". If the hair gets unusually stretchy when wet and very brittle when dry, I'd use some heavy duty protein treatment like Aphogee 2-step or gelatin DIY mask. If you don't get to that stage (you shouldn't, since there wasn't much lift), just use good conditioning treatments, oiling when needed, use seamless wide-tooth combs, don't over-wash/over-comb/over-manipulate it, try sleeping on silky smooth materials and wearing hair up as much as possible to reduce wear & tear, etc...

Thank you so much. Okay, so if I decide to do the semi then I'll ask to see the ingredients or something but I might just try and tough it out - I would hate to go back and then have it worse then it is now. It already doesn't feel the same..it feels a bit dry and rough over the highlighted parts. When I run my hands through the non highlighted parts (mainly the underneath) it feels like glass. It's not significantly different but a tiny bit, but like you said that tiny bit will get worse with time.

I'm vegetarian so I cant use a gelatin mask but I can look into vegeterain protein masks and try egg masks. I oiled 2 times since last Wednesday and I feel that helped. I used coconut oil on the length and jojoba and peppermint oil on the scalp - I read in another thread that peppermint oil increases hair growth significantly so I'll experiment with that.

I have a wide tooth comb and a boar bristle brush that I use so I think I'm set on that. I'll start wearing my hair up more though.

It's hard for me to tell just how much of my hair was highlighted since I see little highlights everywhere..and I know that some of it will shed out with time..I'm just hoping that it wasn't enough to cause any real damage..

I'm at BCL right now so I'm guessing it will have all grown out in 4 years or so. I'll measure the exact length when I get home so I can expect how long it will take for it to all be gone. I really want to reach classic but I can maintain at BCL until it's gone.

kitana97
May 31st, 2016, 06:26 PM
I'm with lapushka I understand that it feels like a big change to you but honestly in those pictures at least I notice only a slight difference :blossom:

Thanks that's very nice to hear :)

Zeewee
June 1st, 2016, 05:29 AM
This exact thing happened to me a week ago!!! Fortunately my stylist used olaplex, but she gave me big chunky 90s highlights! I had her put Demi permanent over it and I've been using olaplex 3. Seems to have helped. Never again!!!

Zeewee
June 1st, 2016, 05:53 AM
By the way my hair wasn't virgin prior to this. Yours looks very pretty. Mine pulled red but not a pretty red!!

spidermom
June 1st, 2016, 06:25 AM
I think it's pretty, too. Take extra special care of it now, and your hair will do fine.

kitana97
June 1st, 2016, 11:47 AM
This exact thing happened to me a week ago!!! Fortunately my stylist used olaplex, but she gave me big chunky 90s highlights! I had her put Demi permanent over it and I've been using olaplex 3. Seems to have helped. Never again!!!

Let's stay away from the stylists! Lemme know how your demi holds up over your highlights :)