PDA

View Full Version : Is it bad to always part one's hair in one place?

Sammybunny711
October 17th, 2008, 05:22 AM
Hey all! I am SO glad to be back at the LHC. My hair went from pixie to shoulder length in less than a year but in September...I gave in to some pressure and cut it to chin length!!! NOOOOO. Well, it is actually pretty cute but I am growing it out for my wedding (May 15, 2010). So I speculate that it will probably reach waist right around the big day (I'm telling you, my hair grows freakishly fast :o)

SO! One of my questions in the re-growing endeavor is this: Can it hurt your thickness if you part your hair in one place all the time? Because of my face shape, I like to keep it parted on the side but when I try to "Switch sides" with the part, my hair comes out looking all wonky...very strange. What you peoples think?:confused:

Loviatar
October 17th, 2008, 06:36 AM
I dont think it would be harmful, Sammybunny - I part mine either in the center or to the left, both of which look and feel fine. My hair naturally parts on the left, so if I try to part on the right, I get the wonky, funny look you describe. I used to get the same when I parted in the center, because the hair wasn't used to being brushed/combed that way. But now I've 'trained' my hair to part in the center.

I always part my hair when it's wet for example (with a wide tooth comb) and originally I kept the part in place with mousse - you could use aloe vera gel to minimise drying from styling goop.

Basically I wash or wet my hair, then run aloe-vera-gelled hands through it making sure to touch the scalp, then I part my hair and leave it to air dry.

If you wanted to switch to the other side I dont see a problem with that, other than the 'wonky look' which can be 'trained' away over time. I certainly dont think using the same part all the time would hurt your hair.

HTH

NightDaemon
October 17th, 2008, 07:15 AM
It could well be wonky because you're working backwards compared to normal. We humans are curiously chiral critters (with an affinity about alliteration).

Honigwein
October 17th, 2008, 07:39 AM
I´ve heard something like that too some time ago. I don´t remember who said or when it was. I´d like to know about it as well.

Tressie
October 17th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Sammybunny711, I WISH MY HAIR would grow "freakishly fast" LOL!! Pics please!! (o:

Periwinkle
October 17th, 2008, 08:24 AM
I don't see why it would damage the thickness. There was a thread a while ago about George Michael saying that centre parts are bad for hair and the general consensus was that parting doesn't damage the hair in any way.

The only negative consequence I can think of from parting is that if you always part it in the same place, it can get very difficult to change it (obviously something you're experiencing, and you're not alone). If you're fine with that, then it doesn't really matter, but if you're not, try and train your hair out of it by wearing it in different ways. You can start by either wearing your hair pulled straight back a lot of the time or parting it a different way overnight and tying it to keep it parted like that - it'll then get used to a different part and by the morning that should look okay too. Over time, you'll train your hair out of one parting and you'll be able to change it with ease.

For years, I always centre-parted my hair and tied it in a low ponytail. Having come to the conclusion that actually, that looks worse on me than a baboon's arse, I stopped parting my hair (it's always tied back so I just never part it) and now if I do want to part, I can part it any way I like, whereas before, no earthly force would move it!

spidermom
October 17th, 2008, 10:11 AM
I've seen people who wear their hair parted in the same place all the time seem to develop a wider part as time passes. I don't think that looks very nice.

chrissy-b
October 17th, 2008, 12:08 PM
When I part my hair continuously on one side, I do notice a wider part develop, and when I go to the other side, or to the middle for a while, and go back to the original side it does look thicker. I don't think that my hair is thinning, but since my hair is so fine and flat, it looks thinner after days and days of parting in the same place.

I generally mix it up not only because I try different styles, but to give the part a "break."

Sammybunny711
October 17th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Someone requested pictures so I am going to post the pictures from my "first growth attempt" heehee.

This one is from November 2007
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3212/2949211271_8177f5c7d4.jpg?v=0

This one is from August 2008. Please Excuse the greasy hair! (just woke up at that point!--that also explains the hole in the head!)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3143/2949212875_425ff84bee.jpg?v=0

spidermom
October 17th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Wow sammybunny; pretty hair.

Sammybunny711
October 18th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Thanks, Spidermom!