PDA

View Full Version : What type of ends are best for buns and braids?

Fluffy01
May 27th, 2016, 07:51 AM
I have three different layers in my curly hair. I rarely wear it down. I don't braid it cause I have ends sticking out and the braid is paltry as you get down the length and lose the other layers.

I've started doing buns but now I have ends trying to pop out....mainly the last two layer ends.

So if I chop my hair down to no layers or only 2 layers until I can get the rest longer, would this help? Thanks!

Arctic
May 27th, 2016, 07:52 AM
Naturally fairytailing hair is best for buns, and I think blunt ends would be best for braids.

Don't chop your hair because of some layers sticking out.

RebekahE
May 27th, 2016, 08:13 AM
I have a very blunt even hemline, it looks great down and in braids but getting them tucked under in buns can be a royal pain in the neck especially since pins (even just one little one) often give me headaches, so pinning them under doesn't work. I think if you cut your hair you will regret it, I would leave it at least for now or microtrim the layers out so you don't lose any length but you won't gain any either.

Anje
May 27th, 2016, 12:11 PM
Braids are great with blunt ends and no layers. Buns seem to hold better with naturally tapering ends. But you can adapt quite a lot either way. I have tapered ends, and I wear braids frequently. I just position the tie a little higher. I do have a de facto layer where my bangs end, and they often stick out of braids, but that's improving as they get longer and the ends are less and less in all one place.

Honestly, buns also generally hold better the longer hair is, so don't chop out the layers for better buns. They won't be more stable afterward! Braids with a thick brush end might be fun though, I'll grant you.

lapushka
May 27th, 2016, 02:50 PM
I have layers in my hair, pretty deep ones too (classic to BSL) and I have no issues with layers poking out of my bun. If you twist your tail before bunning, it pretty much stays inside.

spidermom
May 27th, 2016, 04:27 PM
I don't know what you mean by having 3 layers in your hair. Aren't layers usually blended?

Llama
May 27th, 2016, 05:55 PM
blunt ends look best for braids, tapered ends fit better in buns
but i think braids still look alright with tapered ends and buns look cute with blunt ends sticking out

Goddessa
May 27th, 2016, 06:56 PM
Even at collarbone length I notice that having no layers and blunt ends makes it very easy to braid even if the braid is only a couple inches past my nape. I can't do any sort of bun except the kind you grab a ball of random hair and squish it on your head and haphazardly tie an elastic around. Sorry no help there!

Arctic
May 28th, 2016, 01:17 AM
I don't know what you mean by having 3 layers in your hair. Aren't layers usually blended?

Ha ha, reminded me of this link, worth glansing it for giggles!
http://hairstylistthemes.com/in-search-of-the-3-layer-haircut/

Bergelmir
May 28th, 2016, 01:59 AM
Not sure what it means to have "blunt ends" but i do not have a even line of my ends, naturally the ends seems to be tapered unless modified by scissors. But i don't do any scissor-fixing and my hair can be different at the length, any size i could tell of is simply a average length of all the hair added together or maximum length. Minimum length doesn't truly exist because everyone got new hair growth and it can be below 1 inch. I do think that a bun is easyer to handle for those with very tapered and/or natural ends, but it's certainly no issue making some braid on a few of them and not all at once.

Hairkay
May 28th, 2016, 05:53 AM
Blunt ends don't work for me with plaiting/braiding. It makes it easier for the hair to unravel. When I've freshly trimmed my hair I know it's going to be awkward plaiting near the end of the plait for a while. With my clingly tight curled hair I'm used to not putting a hair tie on the ends.

Nesoi
May 28th, 2016, 06:06 AM
I have a U-hem with some natural layers from growing out a buzz cut. My braids are crazy but I just live with it ;) My ends are pretty good for buns though.

MINAKO
May 29th, 2016, 04:30 AM
I'm using a mini 2 prong fork that matches my haircolor to pin my ends under, other pins or clips give me headache too. My hemline is kinda blunt. I never wear braids so i don't bother to achieve a pefect tassle or anything.