PDA

View Full Version : hair plateau?

SophieGrowGrow
October 17th, 2008, 05:16 AM
Is this a figment of ones imagination? or can your hair reach a plateau(s) when growing hair? where your hair seems to be growing at a far slower rate not due to diet or season or whatever.
I always feel my hair stays around BSL whilst growing, maybe because ive never thought about my hair enough to let it grow out?

have you ever experianced a plateau? how long did it take to get over it?

Arctic
October 17th, 2008, 05:37 AM
My hair is a slower grower and it's in constant plateau if I look it's growth on a short time interval. I keep my focus on other things than the gained length... It got easier after about 6 months of membership ;) I see clear difference in length when I compare photos of say 3-4 months apart, so it is growing. I love my hair for what it is, in the length it is, and make most of it and enjoy it every day.

Heidi_234
October 17th, 2008, 07:30 AM
I think I reached one.
I have layers, and while the lowest one is growing alright, the top one is still barely over BSL, for months now! So so so frustrating!

burns_erin
October 17th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Sure it can, amongst I am sure myriad other factors in growth rate, it is certainly affected by hormones which can change due to cyclical factors and other things like environment, nutrition, and stress levels.

~*~Aspen~*~
May 25th, 2014, 08:05 AM
We have grown a long way...
:eye:
Any other thoughts, comments, suggestions?
?

How does everyone feel about this since 2008??

AdaClare
May 25th, 2014, 09:40 AM
I definitely think I have. It's been a long while since I've had a trim, and have been hovering at TBL. I'm getting a little impatient to see if this is term for me, or if this is just a plateau. :justy:

jacqueline101
May 25th, 2014, 11:19 AM
My hair has changed growth rates. When I first came here it was in no time I was apl top of bra strap now I'm bottom of bra strap. I had to battle pesky layers. I wore my hair up back then and never looked at it. I've gotten relaxed about wearing it up and oiling my scalp with my oil blend. I did that and monistat. I'm off of that so my point being maybe those things influenced my hair to grow. Maybe the hormones in my body have changed too.

spidermom
May 25th, 2014, 11:38 AM
One year I kept track of my hair growth by the season. I did not trim that year, and my daughter measured my hair on the first day of each season change. I discovered that my hair grew 2 inches in 3 months in both summer and fall, 3/4 inch in 3 months in the winter, and 1-1/4 inch in the spring. It certainly felt that my hair stalled in the winter, but as you can see, it was just very slow growth.

I know that each hair stops growing at some point and rests for a few weeks while the root shrinks, then it sheds out. The length of time that it grows varies with each and every hair.

spidermom
May 25th, 2014, 11:38 AM
One year I kept track of my hair growth by the season. I did not trim that year, and my daughter measured my hair on the first day of each season change. I discovered that my hair grew 2 inches in 3 months in both summer and fall, 3/4 inch in 3 months in the winter, and 1-1/4 inch in the spring. It certainly felt that my hair stalled in the winter, but as you can see, it was just very slow growth.

I know that each hair stops growing at some point and rests for a few weeks while the root shrinks, then it sheds out. The length of time that it grows varies with each and every hair.

ExpectoPatronum
May 25th, 2014, 12:21 PM
It feels like my hair hits a plateau around BSL where it completely stops growing. In fact, I've been growing out for years and even then I never made it past BSL. At first I thought I was one of those few people who had a shorter terminal length. Thanks to LHC, I've learned that this length for me is when my ends start really taking a beating, ie: getting caught in bag straps, seat belts, stuck behind in chairs, among other things. These would just prevent any growth from showing as it just broke off.

Now that I'm more mindful of my length, I do find my hair still grows 'slower' after BSL. I grew my hair from APL to right at the top of BSL in about 4 months. (it was about 3 inches). It has now taken me 5 months to gain an extra two inches. To be fair, I did trim once or twice in that time and I did have a stall back in January where my hair gained hardly any length at all.

Illia
May 25th, 2014, 12:34 PM
I've always wondered about the concept of hair plateau myself. In the passed 3 years, however, I've noticed my own hair doesn't plateau. It only felt like it did when I was very impatient to hit the next goal and trim off a couple layers. I take biotin for health reasons, but I haven't measured my hair to notice a change. I only know that many have made claims since it promotes blood-flow, and stimulated blood-flow has been known to promote growth. I remember one lady discussing hair and nails having an average rate, which varies with each person. I'm more inclined to believe that over anything else.

eternallyverdan
May 25th, 2014, 12:48 PM
Yep, I was going to say almost exactly what ExpectoPatronum said-- my hair was stalled at classic for about 5 years before I came to LHC because I didn't know any real updos and my hair was getting stressed a lot from tight elastics on the end of braids and being sat on and hanging over the end of the bed and rubbing on stuff.

LauraLongLocks
May 25th, 2014, 02:16 PM
Wow, Spidermom, does your hair only grow 4" a year now, too? That was a no-trim year for you. Are you a trimmer now? Does it have more yearly growth than 4" if you are trimming?

ErinLeigh
May 25th, 2014, 02:27 PM
2 in summer, 2 in fall, 3/4 winter, 1 1/4 spring. Total 6 inches is what I see. Meaning it grows the correct average annually, but not at a .5 inch month rate.
That is how I read it anyway.

The one and only time I tried to measure I freaked out thinking I didn't grow but 1/4 inch a month. I figured after than I will never measure again. It seems stressful to me.again. I assume I grow normally though since I have constant root upkeep. I guess I should track it eventually though so I know how much trimming is "too much." I would hate to trim all all growth thinking I am going to gain.

LauraLongLocks
May 25th, 2014, 03:23 PM
Ah, thank you, Erin. I somehow missed the words summer AND fall. Still, I am interested to know if you grew more when trimming or when not trimming, Spidermom.

ravenheather
May 25th, 2014, 03:47 PM
I have grown one inch total in 5 months. Getting past bsl is proving difficult. No trims either.

swearnsue
May 25th, 2014, 03:58 PM
I thought I had hit a plateau but it was just my ends breaking off as fast as it was growing. I started using a sleep cap and using cones, especially on the ends.

I'd like to hear from the original posters from 2008 as see how they are doing.