PDA

View Full Version : How long for each milestone

dansyl
May 26th, 2016, 08:06 PM
Anyone wanna share long long it took them to get from one milestone to the next, and so forth?

Ophidian
May 26th, 2016, 09:00 PM
I haven't hit my first milestone yet (shoulder) but I'm curious what others remember about growing out! :popcorn:

hayheadsbird
May 26th, 2016, 11:40 PM
Looking back at photos in December 2014 I was at chin, with layers up to my ears.
By September 2015 I was about my shoulders, and now I'm just touching APL. Hoping I'll hit bsl by the end of this year. I'm short though, so not so far to grow! :)

Shepherdess
May 27th, 2016, 12:21 AM
This is a great thread idea! :D I look forward to hearing about everyone else's progress in reaching milestones! :)

My first milestone joining was mid-thigh. I think for me classic is around 42.5"-43" and mid-thigh is around 46.5"-47" (though not completely sure since it is kind of hard for me to measure it since it is curly and I have no one to help).

2012: Classic (43") to mid-thigh (46.5") = 3.5" growth in 4 months (grew 2 more inches after reaching this first goal so a total of 5.5" in 2012).
2013: Past mid-thigh with only 2" of growth in 12 months (reached 49", which was about 3"-4"(?) from my next milestone at knee).
2014: Only about 2" of growth (cut back from 49" to 44", then trimmed again after it grew a little at 46" to 42.5" later in the year, so hardly any progress).
2015-2016: Classic (42.5") to mid-thigh (47") =4.5" growth, mostly in first 11 months with an inch after 2015 (after trim in Oct. 2014, most of the growth was probably in summer of 2015, and only have gained an inch so far this year).

So for me, each year has been very different in some ways. :shrug: 2012 was the best year I have had for growing out my hair, and 2014 was the worst (due to the horrid sheds which I ended up trimming due to thinness), so I think there can be ups and downs and setbacks throughout the years in reaching milestones. My next milestone is knee length, which I hope to reach someday, though I keep going through stalls in growth, including currently, so maybe I am nearing terminal. My hair thickness is almost all back now though, and traveling down the length, so maybe my hair will grow longer once it catches up.

Arctic
May 27th, 2016, 12:26 AM
I have noticed a rule of thumb on myself, that it takes usually about a year between milestones. It might be little less or little more, but this seems to be pretty good rule of thumb to allow me to see how long reaching X takes. Exception would be from waist to hip which is very short, but I am not growing to those lengths so it's not relevant.

If I trim more liberally milestones might take longer - and I generally do trim quite liberally, although I have tried to do more dustings than actual trimmings now. Sometimes I like to do a slightly bigger trim (like 4 cm), which naturally slows the the process.

My hair usually grows the very avarage 1 cm a month (although lately somewhat faster during the past months), and I am tall with long torso. And like I said I also trim and have no experience of growing without trims (other than one horrible 9 months stretch when I tested the non-trimming, wasn't for me).

kuroi
May 27th, 2016, 12:37 AM
It took me about a year to get from shoulder to bsl. And about another year from bsl to hip. I'm guessing from hip to TBL will be another year. My hair grows faster then most though.

Daydreamer.
May 27th, 2016, 03:03 AM
This is an interesting thread. I'm only at shoulder, so I can't really reply...

Anya15
May 27th, 2016, 03:17 AM
My hair started growing at turbo speed since I joined LHC. BSL to waist (stretched) took me from mid Feb to end may. (Unstretched: APL to MBL+)

vampyyri
May 27th, 2016, 06:50 AM
It took me about a year between BSL and WL now with a pretty big 2" trim in December thanks to a scissor happy stylist. I'm hoping I can get to HL by the end of the year, but man do I miss that extra two inches! :doh: I feel that it takes quite a while to reach milestones personally, because I'm 5'9", so it has a long way to travel!

dansyl
May 27th, 2016, 07:36 AM
It took me 3 years to go from pixie to BSL. Then I cut it off to collar bone last September. I'll be a good BSL by the end of this year I'm 5'9" but my waist is pretty high so I'm hoping by this time next year to be waist. Now waist to hip on me... May take an eternity. Lol!!

quirkybookworm
May 27th, 2016, 11:32 AM
I don't have a timeline of each individual milestone, unfortunately, but I can give you the overall timeline :)

I've been growing my hair out from shoulder for 2 years, and 8 months and am solidly at hip. However, I'm also 5 foot 7 inches tall and have had 4 inches trimmed off. So, take from that what you will.
I found a website that has an estimation of how long it will take to get from one milestone to the next; http://www.hairfinder.com/info/hair-lengths2.htm

I got a kick out of hip being in the 'Even longer hair' category considering that mine is at hip, and it still feels short -- especially in comparison to other LHCers. :p

Lavendersugar
May 27th, 2016, 12:06 PM
The link quirkybookworm posted looks about right for most people. I know when I calulated it was going to take me about 8 months to get from BSL to waist. My bra band sits low on my back so it didn't take long to get to middle of back.

I stared at shoulder in October of 2014. I'm about four inches from waist. I have done 1/4" trims every six months or so but now I plan to trim it myself or get help from my mom as my stylist took 1/2" off and I certainly didn't need it. Seems like not much but I'm starting to wonder if that's what she was doing all along and I didnt notice.

Anyhow, from shoulder to waist is 16 inches for me and my hair from shoulder to current lenght is 12 inches (I'm short). I've been growing for 19 months. So my hair is growing .63-.70ish of an inch each month on average. I hit milestones about every 6-8 months. Armpit to middle of the back felt like forever!!

I'm changing my diet and somethings with my hair. I'm hoping to increase growth to a solid 3/4 an inch each month but if not I'll at least have done something good for myself in terms of health.

I do think age and overall health matters with hair. When I was in my 20s it grew very fast. I'm talking by now I would be around classic. Which is odd because I trashed on my hair and it always remained nice and healthy looking. Now I'm using a gentle routine and feel like it just won't grow.

Frankenstein
May 27th, 2016, 12:18 PM
My starting length was somewhere between shoulder and APL. I hit BSL after about two years (I had a trim and also my health was poor at the time so my hair didn't grow as fast as it could have). After BSL, waist came a year later and my growth rate sped up more after that. I think I went from waist to classic in about 2 and a half to 3 years.

Anje
May 27th, 2016, 12:25 PM
It depends a lot on your body proportions. BSL-Waist-Hip were in pretty rapid succession for me. Classic-fingertip isn't taking very long, because those are close on my body, but I can only guess it'll take me ~2 years to hit knee, if my hair even grows that long. I maintained for years at approximately tailbone, so I couldn't give you a figure for that, but TB to classic might have taken nearly a year.

lapushka
May 27th, 2016, 01:32 PM
It's pretty easy to measure your own body markers and then make predictions, realistic predictions on where you'll be at this time next year, say. If you know hair grows on average 6 inches a year, on average, this is pretty easy to calculate. This is with NO trims. So if you want to make *sure* you get there, take 4 inches and see where you'll be at. Write it down; this is a super motivator! And at least your goals will be realistic.

ameliasuzanne
May 27th, 2016, 02:03 PM
Last year, I grew my hair from pixie cut to shoulder length in a year. So I think my hair grows pretty fast? But anyway, then I chopped it off again and now I'm starting over! This will be the first time I'm taking actual measurements while growing my hair out :)

Magalo
May 27th, 2016, 03:26 PM
Double post

Magalo
May 27th, 2016, 03:30 PM
It took me 7 months without trims from a bit below waist to BCL... before that I trimmed to much to count!

nekosan
May 27th, 2016, 03:48 PM
When i was growing out my bangs, it was 6" per year. (A very solidly average rate.)

I stalled at terminal of around waist/hip lenght for a number of years (between 5 and 15 - it was a while ago, have to dig through old pics); when i started braiding my hair every single night before bed i got another few inches added to my terminal length.

molljo
May 27th, 2016, 06:28 PM
It's been about a year to reach each milestone for me, give or take. I have a long torso, so nearly every body marker is around 5-7 inches for me. I'm also one of the more scissor happy members here, so if I'd let up on the trimming (especially in the early stages of pixie to shoulder), I'd probably be at BSL+ already.

Goddessa
May 27th, 2016, 06:59 PM
Took me 2 years to get from shaved to shoulder length. I didn't pay much attention in between. Right now I'm about 2-3 inches past collarbone... or maybe further because I haven't checked.

dansyl
May 27th, 2016, 07:46 PM
If I measure it seems like I'll be BSL by the end of this year and waist by the end of next. So it looks like I'll be one of those every year milestone people lol

Groovy Granny
May 27th, 2016, 08:57 PM
It took me 3 years to get from chi to hip with some micro trims and a couple of 1-2" snips of layers.
My landmarks are very close, courtesy of a short torso....so I can grow from one to the other in just 3-4 months.
What I gain in speed I lose on over all length compared to longer torsos.

LadyCelestina
May 28th, 2016, 07:10 AM
If I don't trim or trim only a bit, I can go from about below APL-ish to WL, but I'm a curly. If I trim, I go by milestone every year - so I would be BSL and sometime next year at WL. Needless to say I try not to trim :D

jazzhands
May 28th, 2016, 12:06 PM
It really depends. Two Christmases ago I was at SL, reached APL around August 2015 and BSL around March/April. Still skirting around BSL because of trimming. :)

chen bao jun
May 28th, 2016, 03:14 PM
This is an interesting thread. I'm only at shoulder, so I can't really reply...

I can't reply either. My hair is actually grows but its very curly so you can't tell.

It doesn't grow fast, but it does grow. Been on LHC exactly four years and I'm still barely below shower when curly most days, although I have finally hit mid waist when its straightened. I started here about ear length curly (it was shoulder when it was straightened, then)

Agnes Hannah
May 30th, 2016, 03:14 PM
When I started growing, I was APL, that was September 2013. Now I am at tailbone.

hayheadsbird
May 30th, 2016, 03:24 PM
If I measure it seems like I'll be BSL by the end of this year and waist by the end of next. So it looks like I'll be one of those every year milestone people lol

That's the same as my growth prediction :)

browneyedsusan
May 30th, 2016, 06:01 PM
For me, it was about a year in between:
pixie to SLish--a few months shy of a year
SL to APL--a few months more than a year
APL to BSL--about a year
BSL to WL--about a year
My hair is straight, and grows about 6" a year. I have stepped up the trimming as it gets longer, because the ends get beat up more.

Capybara
May 30th, 2016, 06:51 PM
I had a shoulder length bob cut on September 24, 2015:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23229&d=1464655774

I haven't had a cut or trim since (though I am probably due!) and I am closing in on APL:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23230&d=1464655776

So ~8-9 months from shoulder to APL for me.