PDA

View Full Version : Perms

Harpy1926
May 25th, 2016, 10:48 PM
Thoughts on digital perms or something similar to get mermaid waves? I think I am 1B?

May 26th, 2016, 04:40 AM
I read a blog post about someone who got really ugly result from it like a year ago... Hairdresser did something wrong.

PixieP
May 26th, 2016, 04:43 AM
I have never heard of a digital perm O.o gotta google that.

Don't ever do a regular perm though, unless you want your hair completly ruined. Speaking from experience here.

Kiiruna
May 26th, 2016, 05:03 AM
It depends greatly on your own hair type, especially the coarsiness. My hair took perms pretty good... until I overdid them, which led to fragile hair. Also getting waves with perm is... +-0. It gets straight again pretty quickly.

Deborah
May 26th, 2016, 11:15 AM
Perms are really damaging to hair. I don't recommend them at all.

lapushka
May 26th, 2016, 11:36 AM
I had a few done a number of years ago (3 to 4 months apart), at shoulder length. I grew it out all the way to hip while half of my hair (yes half) was riddled in white dots due to mostly perm damage but some heat damage in there as well. My mom did a major S&D session on me, and my hair needed to be cut back all the way to BSL because of the white dots. They were that high up the strands and cutting them out had thinned out my hair by half - at least.

I wouldn't recommend them!

I think the white dots that high up the strand meant that they had to be almost at the root, so that is saying something about perms as a whole!

PixieP
May 26th, 2016, 12:36 PM
My hair didn't recover before I cut away all that had been permed either. My hair was between SL and CBL when I permed it, not a year after I cut it back to a short bob, and then cut out the last bit here and there during a two year period.

Wusel
May 26th, 2016, 01:48 PM
Learn how to do pin curls and stay away from the perm. On day three after pin curling you have mermaid waves.

truepeacenik
May 26th, 2016, 07:17 PM
A digital or hot perm is the usual solution, used on dry hair (not damp/wet) and using heated rods.

Here is someone chronicling her perm, with two updates at 4 and 9 months.
https://cindyxiong.com/2014/07/12/6-things-you-need-to-know-before-you-get-a-digital-perm/

Harpy1926
May 27th, 2016, 12:53 PM
Thanks all for the input!

spidermom
May 27th, 2016, 04:48 PM
Comb some gel through, then braid snugly while damp. When it dries - lovely mermaid waves! Rope braids give more of a curl effect than french or dutch braids.