PDA

View Full Version : finger detangling

May 24th, 2016, 06:56 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtRARyEQTlk If I understand... she's just separating sections and NOT 'combing' through hair with fingers. Is it ok to do this long term? I mean just separating sections and I also remove sheds that hang on my ends. How often should it be done? Daily/before washing/during washing/more rarely?

Simsy
May 24th, 2016, 09:48 PM
I do mine morning and night, as well as every time I braid or bun; basically hold the ends of my hair and slide down. Whatever stays in my hand when the rest of the hair is released is gently pulled loose and binned. I use the same process with braids, hold the tassel and pull gently to see if anything comes loose. Any strands that are obviously no longer attached are pulled out and binned. I don't brush my hair and I only use a TT once or twice a week. Most of my racer hairs are not attached and get removed this way.

Deborah
May 24th, 2016, 10:22 PM
I only trust finger detangling as the first step after washing my hair. It would never be enough for me to only finger detangle. I will always use a comb and brush.

CurlyCap
May 24th, 2016, 11:59 PM
I usually just pull apart sections. The caveat is I know I'm not getting all my sheds that way. So every now and again I'll comb through with my fingers. And once every 2-3 weeks I'll even brush it while it's full of conditioner.

It's a balance between not wanting to anger the curls and knowing that if you don't get out all the sheds there will be a price to pay later.

Mademoiselle
May 25th, 2016, 07:38 AM
I do it every morning and night, but not separated into sections, simply slide my fingers through all my hair =) also use a wooden brush because my hair looks softer

Anje
May 25th, 2016, 11:28 AM
I haven't converted over to finger detangling yet, but I've started experimenting with it. So far I've gone about 4-5 days with nothing but fingers at a stretch, which included a wash or two. I definitely don't get good results if I'm mainly raking my fingers through my hair like combs. I do a lot better at both finding and removing tangles if I'm pinching sections and running my fingers down them. Seems to work out the tangles well and doesn't tighten them the way combing does. I think I'd want to do this with the ends before I started pulling apart sections like she does in the video, or I'd end up tightening knots again. My hair sticks to my skin when it's wet, so I'm not convinced a detangler spray would be a good choice for me (but I also don't have curls to worry about turning poofy).

spidermom
May 25th, 2016, 11:32 AM
I only do this if I can't find my comb. I just can't imagine that fingers would be adequate because they're so fat compared to the teeth of a comb, and there isn't a lot of space between them. My hair will often knot up with shed hairs, and it takes both a comb and careful pulling of single hairs with fingers to get them out.

lithostoic
May 25th, 2016, 12:20 PM
I hate using anything but my fingers. I can't feel the knots until they're being yanked on if I use a brush or comb. Very easy to identify with my fingers.

Anya15
May 25th, 2016, 08:29 PM
I love finger detangling. After I joined LHC, I found that I barely even had any tangles anymore, so I usually finger detangle daily and use a WT comb only once every 2 or 3 days.
I use a comb on my scalp when I have to make the hair go a certain way ( eg- if I am doing a braid and want to pull all the hair back).

EdG
May 25th, 2016, 08:34 PM
I didn't watch the video, but I found that finger detangling is really only a supplement to detangling with a comb. One doesn't have nearly as many fingers as a comb has tines. ;)
Ed

May 26th, 2016, 08:42 AM
hold the tassel and pull gently to see if anything comes loose
Yeah, I've been doing that with loose and braided hair, works surprisingly well!

I usually just pull apart sections. The caveat is I know I'm not getting all my sheds that way. So every now and again I'll comb through with my fingers. And once every 2-3 weeks I'll even brush it while it's full of conditioner.

It's a balance between not wanting to anger the curls and knowing that if you don't get out all the sheds there will be a price to pay later.
Thanks! That's what I wanted to know! Nice hair, btw ^^.

I do a lot better at both finding and removing tangles if I'm pinching sections and running my fingers down them. Seems to work out the tangles well and doesn't tighten them the way combing does. I think I'd want to do this with the ends before I started pulling apart sections like she does in the video, or I'd end up tightening knots again.
That's interesting... I noticed I tighten tangles in some situations, I'll have to look into it...

I hate using anything but my fingers. I can't feel the knots until they're being yanked on if I use a brush or comb. Very easy to identify with my fingers.
Yeah, it seems no matter how gentle I'm trying to be I'm still yanking comb through my hair and loosing hair this way :/

I use a comb on my scalp when I have to make the hair go a certain way ( eg- if I am doing a braid and want to pull all the hair back).
Interesting. You mean scalp only?

Meanwhile... I was right about horn comb, it was making my hair oily. When I stopped using it I got mostly poofy/dry back.

lapushka
May 26th, 2016, 03:01 PM
That is generally what I do to get the sheds out during the week. I split the whole head of hair in half and then each half into three, and that's it. I don't "rake" the hair. I start this on Tuesday night after a wash, because Monday: nothing comes out as it is still in post-wash "mode". Meaning I lost a lot of hair pre, during and post wash so... it takes a while for hair to start coming out again. At least a day. LOL. Then once a week I comb/brush, pre & post wash (no brushing post, just the comb).

RavenMane
June 4th, 2016, 01:53 AM
Lately I'm loving finger detangling. I don't rake through, I separate my hair. When I find a spot that's "woven" together (like a pre-knot) I gently pull and separate those hairs horizontally until they're free. Combing my hair with a comb when it's dry seems pretty damaging.
One thing that helped- last night I oiled my scalp, massaged it, and then "preened" my hair for a while. I just used my finger tips to gently pull and smooth the oil down the length of my hair. This helped to straighten out and smooth my wavy/frizzies. So the tangles came out. I then bunned my hair for the night. And washed it the next day.
If you look up Gossamer's channel on YouTube, she has 4 videos about "handling super long hair". I started doing what she does post-washing. She puts conditioner in, lets partly air-dry, then braids her hair. While braiding she doesn't worry about detangling. She just pulls the hair apart enough to get her three strands, then braids it. Hours later when it's dry, she finger detangles from the ends- working up as she unbraids. This has been working for my hair. But I'm sure it wouldn't work for everyone.

luxurioushair
June 4th, 2016, 02:48 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtRARyEQTlk If I understand... she's just separating sections and NOT 'combing' through hair with fingers. Is it ok to do this long term? I mean just separating sections and I also remove sheds that hang on my ends. How often should it be done? Daily/before washing/during washing/more rarely?
It's more than separating sections - at least in my case I do it rather meticulously. I separate strands. I have been finger-detangling for 1.5 years. My hair looks as if it has been combed, except that the curl pattern remains intact and it doesn't get frizzy. I do finger-detangling about once a month simply because my hair is in plaits 99% of the time and only the ends can tangle. I have very fine, fragile, woollen 4C hair and combs are out of the question.

I would say, people with strong hair that can be worn out (like yours), should go ahead and just use the comb. I highly doubt that Penny (or you) would be keeping your hair in many small plaits. You would be wearing your hair "out" and the entire thing would probably get tangled daily. Unless you have tons of time and lots of patience, would you really want to carefully detangle your hair everyday? That's what I would consider before finger-detangling as a 3c hair owner. For me, like I said, combs are not an option, my hair will not accept any type of comb. Your hair has thicker, stronger strands with a looser curl pattern, and you would wear it differently. So think about if you really need to be finger-detangling, or if you just need a different method for combing your hair. Such as the one I'll post below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qFyDMEj1Sk