PDA

View Full Version : I'm at a complete loss as to what to do with my thick mid-length hair

DizzyGinger
May 24th, 2016, 12:49 AM
I don't know what to do with my hair! I've had pixies and bobs for so many years that I forgot HOW MUCH hair I have and how poofy it gets! It's got a slight wave, most underneath by neck and such, but it's just really fluffy hair - hairdressers have always commented at the amount of hair on my head. it's right at this awkward length...a few more inches and I could slap it on top of my head in maiden braids which I love. as it is now, it's SO close but I can't figure out how to secure the braids because they are so thick.

I end up wearing my hair in a ponytail or bun all the time. If I wear it down, I don't know what to do with it. I'm just frustrated and this awkward length is making me doubt how long I want my hair. please help!

Arctic
May 24th, 2016, 12:53 AM
Have you done a hair typing lately? Maybe you are more wavy that you think?

DizzyGinger
May 24th, 2016, 01:01 AM
I THINK I did a correct one the other day - I've been using vinegar rinses to help with my hard water, so I just shampoo, rinse with the vinegar, no conditioner or product, and let it air dry. If I don't touch it all it has decent wave but very "fly-away" wispy waves. If I brush it, or even comb with my fingers, it becomes a fairly straight poofy mess. haha

Turtlesorgtfo
May 24th, 2016, 02:06 AM
I know how you feel! When I was growing out my pixie cut I absolutely hated my hair. It was just lumpy and frumpy and I felt like I had a big mop on my head. I compensated with hair accessories (headbands and scarves) but there wasn't really much I could do with it. Patience is the key! Maybe try some half-up hairdos like braiding the front and pinning back to get some of the thickness out of your face.

stachelbeere
May 24th, 2016, 02:24 AM
what about hairdo involving twisting your front hair back and securing it with bobby pins to get the bulk away from around your face...? or braiding just the front away? I'm thinking that once it gets longer it'll get better...?
Love your hair style though <3

lapushka
May 24th, 2016, 03:38 AM
I don't know what to do with my hair! I've had pixies and bobs for so many years that I forgot HOW MUCH hair I have and how poofy it gets! It's got a slight wave, most underneath by neck and such, but it's just really fluffy hair - hairdressers have always commented at the amount of hair on my head. it's right at this awkward length...a few more inches and I could slap it on top of my head in maiden braids which I love. as it is now, it's SO close but I can't figure out how to secure the braids because they are so thick.

I end up wearing my hair in a ponytail or bun all the time. If I wear it down, I don't know what to do with it. I'm just frustrated and this awkward length is making me doubt how long I want my hair. please help!

It's ii (if you measured correctly, otherwise re-measure), so it should be do-able.

I wore mine in a peacock twist all the time until I hit waist/hip, so that's a *great* style to try, and all you need is a claw clip to secure it.

arr
May 24th, 2016, 04:58 AM
I find it really helps to use a leave in conditioner mixed with oil, basically my version of the LOC method. It really helps to "weight" the hair down so it isn't as prone to puffiness. Also I don't know how you feel about silicones but a good silicone conditioner can help reduce puffy flyaway hair.

May 24th, 2016, 06:41 AM
Hey there. I had fluffy/puffy hair with very slight wave (and it waved when I put it behind ears, etc) my whole life and with care it turned into 3b/c curly. Just saying...

And I don't even really like to wear my hair down anyway. I still plan to grow to terminal, though. I'll probably just wear it in cool buns and braids and only occasionally show it off down. I don't want to cut them because it's actually more comfortable to have bunned hair than bob. Bob always gets into my eyes and bunned hair don't bother me but at the same time I can wear them down if I want to have long again. With long hair you can easily go between short and long, with short you don't have that.

DizzyGinger
May 24th, 2016, 11:40 AM
It's ii (if you measured correctly, otherwise re-measure), so it should be do-able.

I wore mine in a peacock twist all the time until I hit waist/hip, so that's a *great* style to try, and all you need is a claw clip to secure it.

It verged on iii, I still have layers left that I couldn't quite get into the top ponytail, although just by a bit. (trying to remember from memory) I plan to remeasure in a couple months. I've heard about the peacock twist quite a bit, and I've got a claw clip somewhere, so I'll try that!

MINAKO
May 24th, 2016, 11:46 AM
I would work on evening out the hemline early. I think midlength hair is so much more flattering then many people think but misplaced layers can kind of make it look lifeless and boring. I'm cinstantly ibsessed with the idea of cutting back to anywhere between collarbone and armpit as there is sooo mich varsatility in this length when it comes to styling.

lapushka
May 24th, 2016, 11:56 AM
It verged on iii, I still have layers left that I couldn't quite get into the top ponytail, although just by a bit. (trying to remember from memory) I plan to remeasure in a couple months. I've heard about the peacock twist quite a bit, and I've got a claw clip somewhere, so I'll try that!

That explains a lot. I'm a iii, and just to give you an idea, I had to wait to waist/hip for a bun. So... it takes a long time before you can do the most minor of updos. I wore it loose until I hit about APL and then I started to wear a peacock twist which morphed into more of a log roll as I gained more length and that's what I wore all the way to waist/hip.

Anya15
May 24th, 2016, 12:02 PM
^What Lapushka said. iii hair can be a bit annoying.

I still cannot manage buns unless they are sectioned, and I have layers which worsen the problem.

I found this thing I can do with my length recently though - I start twisting my hair like I am doing a cinnabun, then I wrap the rest of the length tightly around the 'base' of the cinnabun. I then flip the 'base' bit a little so that the ends are tucked underneath it and put a claw clip to hold it in that position. You would need more length to do this though.

Anje
May 24th, 2016, 12:14 PM
Can you do french braids? They're a fun alternative and you can put them in hair that's too short even to ponytail, especially if you do two of them.

DizzyGinger
May 24th, 2016, 03:26 PM
I am so bad at French braids, it seems no matter how hard I try lol...

I've thought about getting it trimmed, especially as the last two inches are fairly damaged from past dye and bleach...but now that I've gotten what I feel is long-ish hair, I am so so scared of them taking too much off! I'm thinking in 2-3 months, I will have gained a couple inches cause my hair grows so darned fast, and that would be an okay time to trim.

lapushka and anou, I'm glad you feel my pain! I often wonder how other people secure even a simple bun. All the YouTube tutorials show them using bobby pins to secure it and I'm like, what sort of hair magic is this?! Bobby pins in my bun just bend out of shape, and literally catapult out of my hair. haha. Has that ever happened to you? You think you've got that pin secured in there, woohoo, you let go, and it just goes WEEEE across the bathroom. :thud:

lapushka
May 24th, 2016, 03:47 PM
I've thought about getting it trimmed, especially as the last two inches are fairly damaged from past dye and bleach...but now that I've gotten what I feel is long-ish hair, I am so so scared of them taking too much off! I'm thinking in 2-3 months, I will have gained a couple inches cause my hair grows so darned fast, and that would be an okay time to trim.

I think if you let it grow until about half way to APL you might be able to self-trim. That *beats* having to rely on a stylist to cut the right amount off, because... rarely gonna happen!

Arctic
May 24th, 2016, 03:55 PM
You are putting too much hair inside one bobby pin if it flyes away like that (your text game me giggles, ha ha!). Spin pins are U-shaped pins are nice too, and for bobby pins - if you even want to use them - try the bigger variety (sometimes called roller pins).

GoddesJourney
May 24th, 2016, 05:40 PM
Mine is ii/iii and when I was growing it out from pixie I hated the first year and a half or so, but it was worth it.

Buns are at about BSL for me and there is a spot between that and waist that is too long for hair ties (I use the thick silicone ones) and not quite long enough for spin pins. I am now approaching hip and the other day I got a bun to stay with dry hair for the first time.

So the thing with puffy hair is it often has to be wet or oiled to get it to behave. However, it ends up being too heavy for an all day bun if it's up wet. I used to leave in a touch of cheap conditioner or spray a lot of rose water to get it to stay down, especially after washing it. Maybe that will help you. Your hair is probably too heavy to ponytail, but I would get lucky sometimes with a medium height ponytail with the tail pulled only half way through, just to get it out of my face and off my neck in the Florida heat.

I would say just practice those french braids and make two if you have to. I know, I know...they're NEVER even. Ever. But for me the claw clip just didn't cut it. Maybe you will have better luck. Besides, you will thank yourself for learning to braid later when all of that hair gets longer and and the bun may not stay or may feel too heavy.

My go to style for life will be a long braid tucked through my bra strap and sometimes down the side of my shirt. :) Especially for cleaning or working out.

Sorry for the long post but I hope it somehow helped.

Anje
May 24th, 2016, 05:51 PM
Definitely work on the french braids. They're not something anyone starts out being able to do well, and every one of us who can do them well now has put in practice to get to that point. :) Watch some youtube tutorials (different people hold it differently, and one may click more than another) and try it both with and without a mirror. Before bed is a good time to experiment, because you can sleep in even ugly results, then comb it out and wear something else the next day. There's less time pressure then, too.

I'll also second the vote to try spin pins, or U-shaped hairpins if you can find some sturdy ones (the more rigid, the better they work). Use U-shaped pins like they're small hair forks -- youtube again will be very helpful if you need a visual.

Anya15
May 24th, 2016, 08:09 PM
I am so bad at French braids, it seems no matter how hard I try lol...

lapushka and anou, I'm glad you feel my pain! I often wonder how other people secure even a simple bun. All the YouTube tutorials show them using bobby pins to secure it and I'm like, what sort of hair magic is this?! Bobby pins in my bun just bend out of shape, and literally catapult out of my hair. haha. Has that ever happened to you? You think you've got that pin secured in there, woohoo, you let go, and it just goes WEEEE across the bathroom. :thud:

Used to happen to me, until I figured out how to use the properly...but I still have to use a LOT of pins to hold up a bun successfully. And the messy bun look doesn't work on me, if I try 'rocking' the messy bun I look like I've just gotten out of bed...

RebekahE
May 24th, 2016, 08:43 PM
Just a suggestion for a bun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b6WVvzfV9U
I use this one a lot, it holds well and is comfortable.

Simsy
May 24th, 2016, 09:22 PM
Bobbi pins bend out of shape, work loose, and generally get lost in iii hair, there is just too much hair for them to cope with. Some options...

If you are having trouble securing buns with bobby pins, I use a stick or fork for a braided bun (just a basic 3-strand braid or 2-strand rope braid, nothing too fancy). I found twisting braiding (again either 3 or 2-strand braids or twists) sections in kept the fly-away bits to a minimum, and the braided bun held a bit better for shorter lengths. Braiding the bun for meant I didn't normally need bobby pins for most of it.

If you are having trouble with french braids, might be easier to start with rope braids as they will do the same job with less strands to try and work around. It does get easier as you learn how to tension the braid comfortably. Unfortunately, there is no magic bullet for braids; the only way to get better is to practice. Once I mastered the finger positions and strand order for a basic braid, I found french and dutch braids much easier to learn.

DizzyGinger
May 25th, 2016, 01:30 AM
Thanks to all of you for the awesome advice and tips. I never ever would have made it through the pixie-to-bob stage without the support! So now I guess I'm just in another awkward in-between phase and with help I'll make it through!

I think some of my frustration is hair envy, because one of my friends has beautiful, thick, natural gray hair down past her butt. She usually just does a simple braid but today she wore it up in the most magnificent huge regal bun. le sigh. I want.

I am going to look into U-pins, was it? and some forks, and work on those braids!!

this was my hair today. this is what happens if it air dries, I don't scrunch it, and I brush it. my husband said I looked like a lion lol. hope this pic works. can you see where some of those pesky layers are? are they adding to the poof?

http://i.imgur.com/IER264C.jpg

Arctic
May 25th, 2016, 01:38 AM
Yes, U-pins, or U-shaped hair pins. Or sturdier version of them would be amish pins.

Your hair looks absolutely gorgeous! :bigeyes: I wouldn't call your hair poofy, and your swooping face framing hair is just so glamorous!

Simsy
May 25th, 2016, 01:47 AM
I am so jealous of your hair:love:, those are gorgeous waves.

DizzyGinger
May 25th, 2016, 04:23 AM
I am so jealous of your hair:love:, those are gorgeous waves.

aw thanks so much!! my hair can be much wavier than this! when it grows, it gets more wave. I'd love to get the amount of wave from this photo in my current length but not sure I can. omg this pic is a decade old! can't believe it's been that long since my hair was really long!!

http://i.imgur.com/TwEdT36.jpg

lapushka
May 25th, 2016, 05:17 AM
this was my hair today. this is what happens if it air dries, I don't scrunch it, and I brush it. my husband said I looked like a lion lol. hope this pic works. can you see where some of those pesky layers are? are they adding to the poof?

Looks great. At that length, I just wore it loose, because I couldn't do a thing with it. Too short for any kind of updo on me. I needed at least APL or almost that length for a peacock twist. Maybe you could do a ponytail. At that length, things are pretty forgiving still, so enjoy that time.

Arctic
May 25th, 2016, 05:25 AM
I have much thinner hair than you, but I have lot of hair style ideas for shorter lengths in my blog. Maybe some of them could be used as is or modified on your hair too.

DizzyGinger
May 25th, 2016, 05:27 AM
All I wear are ponytails lol...might just keep it up for a while and try to style it more a couple inches down the line...!

molljo
May 25th, 2016, 07:40 PM
I would try to work your braiding skills, honestly. At that length, I lived in twin French braids with the tassels tucked under. Half-ups are really cute at that length as well, and they'll protect the front pieces that usually get damaged the easiest because you won't be constantly tucking them behind your ears.

spidermom
May 25th, 2016, 09:20 PM
My go-to styles at that length were down, peacock twist with a claw clip, and french twist. Oh how I love the french twist! I miss it at this length. It will only work when the planets are in very specific alignment - which means almost never!

spidermom
May 25th, 2016, 09:48 PM
Oh my goodness; are you kidding us with those complaints!? Your hair looks gorgeous; not poofy. You want to see poofy; I'll show you poofy (shorter than yours but washed, conditioned, and air dried; totally natural).
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/BOONEW.jpg (http://s25.photobucket.com/user/spidermom/media/BOONEW.jpg.html)
Can you imagine?

Love what ya got!

ReadingRenee
May 25th, 2016, 10:15 PM
Your description of your hair at this length sounds so much like how I felt about my hair when it was your length. And, your pictures of your hair now and in the past look similar to mine too. Except I don't have your gorgeous color. I think my hair is thinner than yours but when it was shorter and more bob like, it was very fluffy, and floaty, and I often felt like I was drowning in puffs of hair. I second spidermom and the french twist suggestion. I also lived in those and pretty much still do. And if you learn to braid now, its so much easier than when your hair is long.

Bobby pins never really work for me, and I don't have spin pins but Good days hair pins work and worked so well for me at that stage. They are big and plastic.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Magic-Grip-Hairpins/GOODHR1,default,pd.html

I got mine at Sallys but you can get them on Amazon as well. And I also did lots of peacock twists. Claw clips are your friend during the growing out process. Good luck! You and your hair are gorgeous! :)

Lizzie.torp
May 28th, 2016, 11:23 AM
Thanks to all of you for the awesome advice and tips. I never ever would have made it through the pixie-to-bob stage without the support! So now I guess I'm just in another awkward in-between phase and with help I'll make it through!

I think some of my frustration is hair envy, because one of my friends has beautiful, thick, natural gray hair down past her butt. She usually just does a simple braid but today she wore it up in the most magnificent huge regal bun. le sigh. I want.

I am going to look into U-pins, was it? and some forks, and work on those braids!!

My hair looks exactly like that if I don't weigh it down with moisturizing products. Even olive oil works for me. You can also try ACV rinses to calm it down.

DizzyGinger
May 28th, 2016, 04:26 PM
My hair looks exactly like that if I don't weigh it down with moisturizing products. Even olive oil works for me. You can also try ACV rinses to calm it down.

I've been doing white vinegar rinses to help with mineral buildup from my hard water, I wonder if that will help? I can also try the ACV. Thank you.