PDA

View Full Version : What's Going on With My Scalp?

Shorty89
May 22nd, 2016, 10:03 AM
I've posted about this a bit in my blog, but I thought I'd ask LHC in general about it. And yes, I know I should go to a doctor. I have an appointment, but it's still a while away and I'd like any ideas that you all have. I've had off and on this sort of scalp wound for the past couple months. I've also had something similar about a year ago. It seems to sort of heal up but if I scratch it (accidentally in my sleep, or whatever...it's very itchy!), or wear a hairtoy too close to the area it breaks open and becomes a sore. Then I have to wait for it to heal again... and repeat. I thought it might be some sort of folliculitis because I did have a little bit of scalp acne. But from what I can tell, folliculitis doesn't look like this. I haven't used any new products lately, nor have I changed my routine. I'm hoping for ideas on how to care for it until my doctor's appointment. Or, just ideas about what it is. :confused: I have tried not wearing buns for a week which seemed to help for a time. But not completely.

I'll link to the picture in case anyone is squeamish.

http://imgur.com/NyMPNIw

lapushka
May 22nd, 2016, 10:28 AM
Almost looks like a birthmark that has turned angry for some reason. Definitely stop itching it, and have a doctor look at it (good on you for going).

Shorty89
May 22nd, 2016, 10:45 AM
The only time I scratch it is if I'm not thinking. Like first thing in the morning. I don't remember having a birth mark but I never paid that much attention to looking at my scalp. My parents never said anything about a birth mark though. :shrug:

sumidha
May 22nd, 2016, 12:06 PM
Ouch! I'm not sure what it is, but if it was me I'd try to avoid putting shampoo or conditioner on it, and maybe put some aloe on it?

lapushka
May 22nd, 2016, 12:11 PM
I'd take some pictures over the course of the number of days it will take you to go see the doctor. This way the doctor can see it in its stages as it progresses. As it gets more angry when you scratch, what it's like after water touched it, etc.

Anje
May 22nd, 2016, 12:13 PM
It looks like you scratched it raw?

Definitely get it checked out. The hubby had a small itchy spot on his scalp, and it turned out to be a basal cell carcinoma. Removing it wasn't a huge deal and the scar is difficult to find even in his short hair, but the smaller they are, the easier they are to get rid of. Even removing it with a border (maybe a nickel-sized chunk of scalp total) meant that his skin was stretched tight for a few weeks. He looked a bit surprised for a while. XD

papayatree
May 22nd, 2016, 01:03 PM
I have never seen that before. Make sure you keep the area around it clean and see a doctor soon.

Mademoiselle
May 22nd, 2016, 01:30 PM
I am hairdresser and I dont know what is it sorry, but dont worry shorty89, see the doctor, and if you can dont touch it please.

lapushka
May 22nd, 2016, 01:42 PM
Can I ask how long before you see the doctor, because it looks to be quite angry and as if it can't wait.

meteor
May 22nd, 2016, 02:21 PM
Ouch! :( I'm not much help there, sorry, I don't know what it could be, but I'm really happy to hear you are going to see a doctor about this soon. :) Please keep us posted on how it goes. :flower:

In the meantime, I'd avoid all scratching, unnecessary touching and wear a breathable hat/scarf if you go outside for long periods of time, just for sun protection: if that skin area is already sensitized, you don't want to add sunburn to the problem.

I really hope it's not something bad and your scalp will heal up soon! :pray:

lithostoic
May 22nd, 2016, 02:26 PM
Yikes x-x I'm squeamish but I clicked because I want to help. Unfortunately I can't offer any, but best of luck! I'm sure the doc will give you some kind of cream to put on it.

Shorty89
May 22nd, 2016, 05:10 PM
Can I ask how long before you see the doctor, because it looks to be quite angry and as if it can't wait.

It looks like you scratched it raw?

Definitely get it checked out. The hubby had a small itchy spot on his scalp, and it turned out to be a basal cell carcinoma. Removing it wasn't a huge deal and the scar is difficult to find even in his short hair, but the smaller they are, the easier they are to get rid of. Even removing it with a border (maybe a nickel-sized chunk of scalp total) meant that his skin was stretched tight for a few weeks. He looked a bit surprised for a while. XD

I haven't been scratching it save once or twice since I've gotten it. It looks that pinkish colour without any scratching. Although usually it isn't as bloody. I think it got rubbed in my sleep. (I toss and turn).

I should have taken more pictures but I thought it was healing so I deleted the pictures that I'd taken. It was fairly raw with yellowish gunk for a bit, then as that healed it looked like red scabs. Then those faded and it seemed to be healing/healed. Then this morning it looked like it does now. ACV seemed to help it heal/not be as inflamed, but it does seem to keep coming back.

Shorty89
May 25th, 2016, 10:16 PM
Update, if anyone is following. According to my Doctor it's scalp eczema. I have a cream now which seems to have helped so far (after one application). I'll be posting more details and an update in my blog soon.

Kirby-oh
May 25th, 2016, 11:13 PM
Eczema isn't the worst, but I have it all over my hands and it's not fun. Gl

lapushka
May 26th, 2016, 05:52 AM
Update, if anyone is following. According to my Doctor it's scalp eczema. I have a cream now which seems to have helped so far (after one application). I'll be posting more details and an update in my blog soon.

I'm glad you have something that works to treat it. Phew. It looked really red and angry. I hope it calms down some now. Good luck! :flower: