PDA

View Full Version : Favourite moisture hits?

Simsy
May 21st, 2016, 06:44 AM
So the mop was being difficult yesterday; tangling, crispy dry and pulling in almost every direction. While I'm still not sure what caused the sudden 24 hours of unreasonable hair, I did manage to drown it back into submission. 2 rope braids soaking in a keratin-based leave in conditioner and a pile of oil overnight, then washed with a moisturising cream treatment to make sure everything was good to go.

The runaround trying to find a moisturising treatment this morning made me curious. What is your favourite moisturising treatment and how often do you use it?

reilly0167
May 21st, 2016, 07:07 AM
I love my good old go to of olive, coconut and castor oils and honey and do it weekly, just recently started the coconut milk soaks to change things up and add a bit of protein. To it, I add a bit of honey and a bit of castor oil, do a scalp massage and let sit for whatever long I fancy.

lapushka
May 21st, 2016, 07:10 AM
I just use my conditioner twice (WCC), then do the LOC method (the explanation links are in my signature). It gives me *plenty* of moisture. I haven't had static in more than a decade! True thing that!

Simsy
May 21st, 2016, 08:01 AM
I just use my conditioner twice (WCC), then do the LOC method (the explanation links are in my signature). It gives me *plenty* of moisture. I haven't had static in more than a decade! True thing that!

I seem to walk a very fine line between grease ball and dry as a bone. I'll look into that LOC, see if that will help. I did not enjoy the mop yesterday, it hasn't been that unreasonable in months. Thanks for the suggestion.

I love my good old go to of olive, coconut and castor oils and honey and do it weekly, just recently started the coconut milk soaks to change things up and add a bit of protein. To it, I add a bit of honey and a bit of castor oil, do a scalp massage and let sit for whatever long I fancy.

I do like the sound of that mixture, I might give that a go before the next wash. What is a coconut milk soak? Is it just drench and wrap the hair up for a few hours or is there more to it?

cailinbee
May 21st, 2016, 09:54 AM
Honestly, I'm not sure how quality the product is in terms of people who like cone-free and things like that (I'm going to admit to not reading the label) but after experimenting with 4 different mask treatments, I LOVE Hask Argan Oil masks, the kind that come in single packets. They make my hair SOOOOOO soft.

ExpectoPatronum
May 21st, 2016, 12:31 PM
I like the LOC method too, and also squish to condish when I'm in the shower.

LadyCelestina
May 21st, 2016, 12:42 PM
I just wash my hair if it's feeling dry and if I cannot wash it, I mix conditioner with water in my palms and rub it in. If I have issues with dryness that don't go away for multiple washes, it's likely buildup.

luxurioushair
May 21st, 2016, 01:04 PM
How about treating your hair with argan oil, it gives miraculous results even without deep conditioning.

Doreen
May 21st, 2016, 03:35 PM
Not cone-free, mind you, but I like John Frieda Frizz Ease Miraculous Recovery. Their other Frizz Ease conditioners are great too. I just leave it in for 5-10 minutes instead of the usual 2-3. I use this conditioner every time I wash (2-3 times a week) but only leave it on for extra time about once a month or less, depending how dry or unruly my hair is.

Neutrogena Triple Moisture conditioner is pretty good too, but effects don't seem to last as long as John Frieda.

Hask Macadamia Oil Conditioning Treatment smells great and does a good job too. It's pricier per oz, so I don't use it often at all. (less than 3 times a year). I would definitely recommend it a lot though.

I also tried Garnier Honey Treasures Mask recently which worked well, but then again I've only used it once. Might be better for finer hair (mine's quite coarse).

yogagirl
May 21st, 2016, 04:24 PM
Damp bunning for an hour makes my hair feel amazing! When I take it down from the bun, I seal in the moisture with a serum. No product alone has ever given me the same result.

Wildcat Diva
May 21st, 2016, 09:02 PM
Misting bottle of water on dry ends?

Shepherdess
May 21st, 2016, 09:11 PM
I usually use a spray bottle with some aloe vera and oils mixed with a bit of water, or a bottle with a mixture of some conditioner, oils and water, and then mist it over my hair, especially focusing on the dry and crispy areas. After doing this I usually rub a small dab of oil over it (olive or jojoba), and braid it. Usually it starts to behave better and gets silky for me after this. If I am having a lot of trouble and everything else doesn't seem to work, I might do a mayonnaise egg treatment; I rarely do this, though every time that I have done so I had lovely results with my hair (I usually lather it good and thick throughout my hair and let it sit for an hour or so).

FairHairedDane
May 21st, 2016, 11:10 PM
A mixture of two egg yolks, a spoon full of honey, coconut oil and conditioner once a week, have really helped my hair getting the moisture that it needs.

Simsy
May 22nd, 2016, 06:10 AM
I like the LOC method too, and also squish to condish when I'm in the shower.

I'll check out the loc method. The squish to condish seems to tip me over into the greaseball of pain. That said, double condish doesn't, so long as I don't do it every wash. Thanks for the suggestion.

I just wash my hair if it's feeling dry and if I cannot wash it, I mix conditioner with water in my palms and rub it in. If I have issues with dryness that don't go away for multiple washes, it's likely buildup.

I am probably due a clarifying wash...

How about treating your hair with argan oil, it gives miraculous results even without deep conditioning.

I keep a couple of bottles on standby. I love argan oil.

Not cone-free, mind you, but I like John Frieda Frizz Ease Miraculous Recovery. Their other Frizz Ease conditioners are great too. I just leave it in for 5-10 minutes instead of the usual 2-3. I use this conditioner every time I wash (2-3 times a week) but only leave it on for extra time about once a month or less, depending how dry or unruly my hair is.

Neutrogena Triple Moisture conditioner is pretty good too, but effects don't seem to last as long as John Frieda.

Hask Macadamia Oil Conditioning Treatment smells great and does a good job too. It's pricier per oz, so I don't use it often at all. (less than 3 times a year). I would definitely recommend it a lot though.

I also tried Garnier Honey Treasures Mask recently which worked well, but then again I've only used it once. Might be better for finer hair (mine's quite coarse).

I'll go looking. Never heard of the first 3, but I haven't found a Garnier product I didn't like yet.

Damp bunning for an hour makes my hair feel amazing! When I take it down from the bun, I seal in the moisture with a serum. No product alone has ever given me the same result.

Misting bottle of water on dry ends?

Oddly enough, water has a dry effect on me. But I do like that misting bottle idea.

I usually use a spray bottle with some aloe vera and oils mixed with a bit of water, or a bottle with a mixture of some conditioner, oils and water, and then mist it over my hair, especially focusing on the dry and crispy areas. After doing this I usually rub a small dab of oil over it (olive or jojoba), and braid it. Usually it starts to behave better and gets silky for me after this. If I am having a lot of trouble and everything else doesn't seem to work, I might do a mayonnaise egg treatment; I rarely do this, though every time that I have done so I had lovely results with my hair (I usually lather it good and thick throughout my hair and let it sit for an hour or so).

Ooo...chemistry and potions all in one session! A Sunday session of brewing is in order.

A mixture of two egg yolks, a spoon full of honey, coconut oil and conditioner once a week, have really helped my hair getting the moisture that it needs.

Oh yeah, so doing a potions Sunday and having a play with these.

Platzhalter
May 22nd, 2016, 09:39 AM
It all depends on the season - now that it's getting warmer again I'll probably try get a bottle of aloe vera juice (pure, without any additives). Plain and simple... but it seems to work for me.

Xavien_Grey
May 22nd, 2016, 09:43 AM
It all depends on the season - now that it's getting warmer again I'll probably try get a bottle of aloe vera juice (pure, without any additives). Plain and simple... but it seems to work for me.

This ^^^ I keep a bottle of the after sun clear aloe vera on the sink. If im feeling dry i just apply and comb it through, dries unbelievably soft

Allexandra
May 22nd, 2016, 09:45 AM
Cold-pressed avocado oiiilll, definitely! It moisturizes my hair and unlike other oils that I use, it gives my hair volume. It washes off a lot easier than olive oil for example and I haven't noticed any green shades. I use it anytime, regardless of the season because my hair won't feel funny. i'd say it is a must try

reilly0167
May 24th, 2016, 07:16 PM
Simsy, I just dunk my head in the bowl, run my fingers through to get some excess off, then put on plastic cap or bag leave on for an hour but I guess 30 minutes should be fine. It can be drippy so put a towel around my neck the just rinse.

princesssaffron
May 25th, 2016, 05:53 PM
i love argan oil! i put some through my ends after i wash and my hair hair is still damp, it works amazing :) i also do CWC sometimes (when i remember :hmm: haha)

JadedByEntropy
May 25th, 2016, 06:35 PM
I love pancake syrup half and half with conditioner to not be too sticky. wash. then plain conditioner. It feels so awesome, but i always forget to do it. I'd say to be the best would be every other wash. It has a shine like nothing else gives. my hair doesn't respond well to normal 'keratin' type stuff

Lavendersugar
May 27th, 2016, 11:01 PM
I've never been big on treatments. I'm just lazy with things that require waiting and typically washing my hair in the sink before a shower.
After Castro oil dried my hair really bad I tried SMT. OMG!!!!!! I did mine without honey. Used aloe and suave no heat. Amazing!! It corrected the dryness in one treatment!!
Aloe alone works well between treatments on wet or dry. I bought an aloe spray.

My hair seems to hate oils but it loves a good SMT. I do them after clarifying.

lapushka
May 28th, 2016, 05:12 AM
I'll check out the loc method. The squish to condish seems to tip me over into the greaseball of pain. That said, double condish doesn't, so long as I don't do it every wash. Thanks for the suggestion.

The link to the LOC method is in my signature. HTH!

MINAKO
May 28th, 2016, 03:45 PM
I feel like the best thing for moisture anyone can do is try any kind of poo free routine. Also make sure it's not minreal build up from hard water that leaves your hair crunchy. Any condish, oil or serum works the same way for me to some degree, i always make sure to spritz my hair in between washes with destilled water only if i do so.