PDA

View Full Version : Hair miracle supplements, true or not?

Cassyopeia
May 20th, 2016, 11:01 AM
I don't know if any other countries have these kinds of products, but in Norway we have one called haircare, and it is heavily advertised by bloggers. All claiming increased growth and thicker hair. The product website says that it does not improve already grown out hair, but that it contains biotin, selenomethionine and zink that keeps hair healthy, copper that contributes to hair pigmentation (what?) and beer yeast(think that is the correct translation?) that makes hair stronger.

What if you have a regular diet, is there any benefits to such supplements at all? Selen I know atleast to be dangerous at too high levels, and the recommend intake is easily covered by eating 5 paranuts. Zink is also in a lot of food.

Edit: Controls=countries. Silly Phone and autocorrect.

lapushka
May 20th, 2016, 02:32 PM
Is it something to take or to apply to the hair topically? I'm gathering it's something to ingest? Yes? Honestly, I don't believe it can make hair thicker. It's all good and well if you have deficiencies, but if not, supplementation is not going to do much.

Cassyopeia
May 20th, 2016, 02:53 PM
Is it something to take or to apply to the hair topically? I'm gathering it's something to ingest? Yes? Honestly, I don't believe it can make hair thicker. It's all good and well if you have deficiencies, but if not, supplementation is not going to do much.

Yes, to ingest. Not apply to hair. 2 pills each day. And I agree with you. Ofcourse if one has an unhealthy and non varied diet, and because of that lacks vitamins, minerals etc, I can understand that taking supplements help. I used to take iron, vitamin b12 and zink, but that was after tests with my doctor and discovering that I was low and had been low for a long time. I also got dietary help so that after 3 months I didn't need the pills and could only rely on what I eat to get what my body needed.

I am not an expert on the matter, but I do know that some vitamins and minerals can be dangerous in too high doses. Some are actually toxic, some might have horrible sideeffects. Too much selen can cause hairloss and brittle nails. Those advertisments, masked as friendly recommendations, just annoys me. Especially reading the comments of people willing to spend lots of money on something they might not even need.

Adorkable One
May 20th, 2016, 05:46 PM
I think all hair care supplements are mostly the same. Personally, I have noticed no difference taking hair supplements compared to NOT taking any. However, they do appear to make my nails grow stronger. But I notice no difference with my hair growth rate. As lapushka said....unless you're deficient, you probably won't notice a difference.

MINAKO
May 24th, 2016, 09:31 AM
I can't believe people are still falling for this supplement delusions, if it would work basically every single person on this olanet would have exeptionally gorgeous hair, but all i see is people lamenting and stumbelung from one advertisement trap into another, probably doing more harm to their bodies than good on their hair.

Melisandre
May 25th, 2016, 01:19 PM
A good quality multi vitamin contains most of the ingredients these so called 'hair growth supplements' have listed.

I personally see great growth results with biotin, folic acid, msm, silicea, vit d + c, a multi vit and iron. Even though the last four I do not take especially for my hair, those are just part of my daily supplement intake anyway.

This week I came across Hairburst(?) and saw collagen in the ingredients list and I might pick one up at De Tuinen (Dutch Holland & Barrett chain) because it's on sale!

Lavendersugar
May 27th, 2016, 11:09 PM
I see tons of hair supplements on Instagram. People stating 4 inches in 2-4 weeks. The pics IMO look bad. The ends are so thin and not in a mermaid or fairytale way. It's just odd. The new thing is Sugar bears or something similar. I can't believe people buy them. It looks like candy.

My thought is massage the scalp and improve your diet to include hair friendly foods. Hair needs a wide variety of things so you'll have lots of choices. Don't forget water and be kind to your hair.
There are herbs and oils good for the scalp too that can use for a massage.

I have to take a vit b complex and I typically take a kid dose because adult dose turns my urine bright. That means I just wasted money because most of the vitamin did not even get absorbed. Spend your money on good food and in a few months you'll be glad you did.

mz_butterfly
May 27th, 2016, 11:30 PM
Quite simply, there are no miracles when it comes to hair growth, weight loss or anything. People want to believe so badly that it's true that they spend huge amounts of money trying to get unattainable results.

If you have to ask "Is this real, is this true, is this miracle possible"? The answer is usually no.

Patience is key. No cutting. Do not cut off more hair than your head will grow and you will likely see more length. Don't use harsh chemicals or heat on your hair. Take care to brush or comb gently.

With these common principals you will be able to grow your hair. A pill, a liquid, a topical cream, special shampoo or conditioner nor anything else will work. Those promises are empty and false. Don't fall for it. Keep your money in your pocket for all of the pretty hair toys that you will want to buy after your hair grows to long lengths.

lapushka
May 28th, 2016, 06:44 AM
Quite simply, there are no miracles when it comes to hair growth, weight loss or anything. People want to believe so badly that it's true that they spend huge amounts of money trying to get unattainable results.

If you have to ask "Is this real, is this true, is this miracle possible"? The answer is usually no.

Patience is key. No cutting. Do not cut off more hair than your head will grow and you will likely see more length. Don't use harsh chemicals or heat on your hair. Take care to brush or comb gently.

With these common principals you will be able to grow your hair. A pill, a liquid, a topical cream, special shampoo or conditioner nor anything else will work. Those promises are empty and false. Don't fall for it. Keep your money in your pocket for all of the pretty hair toys that you will want to buy after your hair grows to long lengths.

QFT, quoted for truth!

adastra
May 28th, 2016, 01:43 PM

Can I frame this? Make it into a cross-stitch sampler? Because it's such simple but great advice, and it definitely extends beyond hair growth. :thumbsup:

The only thing I'd add is to take good care of yourself and promote overall health - it's amazing how many aspects of your wellness impact hair growth and loss. Well-chosen vitamins/supplements may be part of that. I supplement with iron to counter issues with hair loss due to anemia. But that's not a "miracle," it's something I'm treating with help from my doctor.