PDA

View Full Version : Post haircut & new growth dilemma!

Snowlily
May 19th, 2016, 01:32 PM
My attempts at cutting my own hair well were lets just say not very good! I had hair riddled with dots, splits and damage from a bad dye job -a dye job where she left me under the dome dryer for 20 minutes too long resulting in hair breaking off just looking at it - I had a whopping cut from bsl to shoulder about 2 weeks after the dye job from hell - and I have been slowly growing it out and trimming it myself. I was just past APL as of this morning with about 4" of dye left in the hair. Not only this to fight with but I had an iron deficiency which caused rather a lot of hair loss and this is being rectified with spatone sachets....

However, as its my sisters wedding day next week, I thought I had to have a good hair cut so I bit the bullet and went to a fancy salon in London. Long story short, best hair cut of my life! My new crimper was so understanding and funny and shared many a hair nightmare from growing up! I had to say goodbye to some length today and I am back to just under collarbone but it feels so much better and the taper is MUCH less.

She says I have loads and loads of new growth - most of which is about 5-6" in length and is very obvious! Here is my dilemma - do I wait a while for this new growth to catch up with regular trims or do I (cue Frozen song) let it grow to BSL and maintain for a while to let hair catch up?

:D

lapushka
May 19th, 2016, 02:30 PM
I'd just let it grow. You had most of the damage, if not all of it, cut off now, so there is no reason to keep trimming so often. You could do a small trim say every 4-6 months or so, that's the most I'd do if I were you.

Snowlily
May 19th, 2016, 02:33 PM
I'd just let it grow. You had most of the damage, if not all of it, cut off now, so there is no reason to keep trimming so often. You could do a small trim say every 4-6 months or so, that's the most I'd do if I were you.

Thank you for your wise words :)

lapushka
May 19th, 2016, 02:55 PM
Thank you for your wise words :)

Enjoy your new hair! :D And happy growing!

Vanilla Mint
May 19th, 2016, 05:07 PM
I'd let it grow to BSL and maintain, since it seems like that is a pleasant length for you from your post! That way you can have some length to play with as well, can still feel like you have "long" hair, and you get to watch all that glorious regrowth thicken the bulk of your length as it grows down.

Edited to add: I also think Lapushka has a good idea, too. I don't think you would have a super duper taper from just letting it grow from here on out since it's in such a happy healthy place atm!