PDA

View Full Version : People who don't like their hair, despite seeming perfect to others

Amenahh
May 19th, 2016, 09:19 AM
My friend has won the genetic lottery of hair. Her hair is really thick, grows VERY fast, and is the most resilient hair in the world.
She uses small elastics all the time, she dyes it (lighter) and curls it sometimes (using a hot iron). I've actually seen her curling it and I was cringing because of the smoke that came out of it. Despite that, it's always in perfect condition, never damaged.

I love her hair, and I wish my hair could take that. However, she doesn't like her hair, and wants to cut it (she's almost at waist, but doesn't want long hair). She hates that it's so thick.

Anyone else unhappy with their hair, even if it others find it perfect?

lapushka
May 19th, 2016, 09:27 AM
I don't think you'll find many on here that are unhappy with their hair. ;) I like my hair, despite its thickness. I didn't like it when it wasn't layered, but now that it is, it is *so* much more bearable and manageable.

Groovy Granny
May 19th, 2016, 09:38 AM
"The grass is always greener" as they say :wink:

I like mine better with NO layers; my silver is so fine and wispy.
My wurls still pop up in humid weather even with more length....which adds to my thickness as well.

I'm good...it is what I was blessed with....you can't go wrong with that :thumbsup:

samanthaa
May 19th, 2016, 09:40 AM
I feel like often people's hair seems "perfect" to others. Grass-is-always-greener-type thing.

People with thick hair think thin hair would be a blessing; people with thin hair think that stick hair would be a blessing; etc.; I'm sure this is the same for light hair, dark hair, fine hair, coarse hair, to an extent.

My hair is thin and fine and I'm so envious of people with thick, coarse hair.

Both of my roommates cut from waist length (possible waist+), both had medium-to-thick hair, normal-to-coarse strands (one to nearly shaved, the other to collarbone). One was a natural golden blonde. I used to swoon over her hair. I'll never understand it, but I just have to look at is as them not wanting the same things that I want.

ETA: It looks like Groovy Granny and I have the same phrasing!

Wusel
May 19th, 2016, 09:45 AM
I'm undecided. Nobody in everyday life tells me if my hair is pretty or not. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I think, it's long and black-brown so it's okay. Sometimes I think that I look older with it being that long and bangs-less. Sometimes I love it because it's washed and shiny... It changes depending on my mood.

Lavendersugar
May 19th, 2016, 10:04 AM
I'm undecided. Nobody in everyday life tells me if my hair is pretty or not. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I think, it's long and black-brown so it's okay. Sometimes I think that I look older with it being that long and bangs-less. Sometimes I love it because it's washed and shiny... It changes depending on my mood.

Same here. I don't get compliments but then again I don't seek them out either. I don't like others commenting on my looks. When I was younger it was different. Now I'd prefer to be over looked.

As for my hair, eh I can't change my genetic make up so no point in complaining. It's straight and at times blah. I blame our crappy water for me having to always adjust my routine to prevent a weird texture and no body. Overall it's shinny and I have no major issues.

I don't know many that love their own hair completely. There is always something they might like different.

LadyCelestina
May 19th, 2016, 10:05 AM
I'm the opposite, I like my hair but others don't seem to be as amazed by it :D I don't really mind though.

Groovy Granny
May 19th, 2016, 10:21 AM
ETA: It looks like Groovy Granny and I have the same phrasing!
:thumbsup:

I'm the opposite, I like my hair but others don't seem to be as amazed by it :D I don't really mind though.

I never get comments either...but *I* am happy and hubby likes it/is happy I'm happy; that's all the matters to me :cheer:

Learning new styles and pretty hair toys have made a big difference between boring..... and fun/self expression :wink:

littlestarface
May 19th, 2016, 10:22 AM
I get the "aww your hairs so pretty comments or wow its so long and pretty" but me I hate my hair I wish it was thicker and it would stop being so floaty like spiderwebs.

Anje
May 19th, 2016, 10:41 AM
Before I came to LHC, people would rave about my hair (usually the color -- dark red is rather striking), and my usual reaction was, "Do you want it?!" I knew it was pretty, but I saw it as a tangly hassle that most of the time I would rather not deal with.

Being here has taught me to like my hair. It taught me that my texture too was beautiful, rather than just a not-wavy/not-straight tentacley mess. I think it also taught me that it was perfectly OK for me to want to put it up and just keep it out of the way when I wasn't trying to enjoy it.

lithostoic
May 19th, 2016, 10:44 AM
I don't particularly like my hair, but neither does anyone else XD Nothing special.

PixieP
May 19th, 2016, 10:45 AM
I really dislike my hair. It's too thin, it's too straight, it's too light a blonde (making root upkeep a chore and the light blonde is a colour that does not suit me so I cannot grow out virgin). The only thing I get positive comments on is the colour, and sometimes if I thoroughly abuse it to make it look thicker (teasing, heat styling). I keep on growing it longer though, because if it can't be my dream thick, wurly hair, then it can at least be long and red... It's something, right? I'd much rather be known as the girl with the long red hair, than the other things people could call me if I didn't have the attention-grabbing redness.

Amenahh
May 19th, 2016, 11:30 AM
I love reading the comments.

For myself, I've always thought my hair was very plain. Dark brown, pretty straight, not very thick, meh. I've dyed it a lot because brown looks so boring on me, but it can't really handle dyes.
Since LHC I've learned to take better care of it though, and its condition improved a lot. It's now soft, healthy and shiny.
No one compliments it, and I really don't expect them to, as it's currently only past collarbone and not even even (haha) due to growing from a layered A-line bob. However, I am learning to like it, although there are things I would change about it :).
I do wonder if I will still complain about it when I reach my goal length.

Cg
May 19th, 2016, 11:30 AM
tentacley\

Love the new word!

Anya15
May 19th, 2016, 11:55 AM
I did not like my hair much before LHC. It used to tangle a lot. Now it hardly ever tangles (I don't even need to comb daily, finger combing is enough! ). I have also come to love my unpredictable wurly texture (especially after I had a weird period where my hair suddenly became a 1c ish thing- I hated it). The thickness is hard to deal with sometimes, but it's still nice :) I had thinner hair after my big shed and I'm happy that it is thicker now.

There are only two things that I'm not too happy with. One-layers. They are annoying, but can be grown out, so it's just a matter of time. Two- color. A lot of people here have complimented my shiny black hair but where I live, every onehas black hair, I often wish mine was something a bit lighter! But any colouring would require bleach because my hair is so dark, so I just have to live with my color I guess :p

Mirabele
May 19th, 2016, 12:02 PM
I used to hate my hair before LHC. Maybe not hate, but i always thought of my hair as of nothing special. Being here i have learned to love it. No wonder why, the condition has improved a lot since then. I have also learned to accept my hair as it is. There are sure things i would love to change ( more thickness, body wave) but i am in no power to change these things anyway. Instead of thinking what i do not have i am more focused on all the good things i have. I am really more happy now and my hair brings me a lot of joy.

Frankenstein
May 19th, 2016, 12:14 PM
People seem to generally like my hair and they don't seem to notice the things I sometimes don't like about it (frizz, not as thick as I'd like). I'm never going to have that perfect head of dream hair that I'd love to have, but since coming here I've noticed that I do like my hair more than I did before. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that I now spend a good amount of time taking care of it, learning new styles, experimenting with routines, etc. Also, on this site you see so many different kinds of hair. It's definitely opened my eyes to how diverse it can be from person to person, there is no "one size fits all" standard for beautiful hair.

lapushka
May 19th, 2016, 12:15 PM

Keep an eye on that and "know thyself", because this is a recipe for impulsive behavior and possible disasters - ask me how I know! Been through the gamut of feelings and moods and possible outcomes on my hair (dye, bleach, DIY experiments, henna). Did it all! If you want to grow long, better curb those emotions, I'm telling you. :) :flower:

Loveisaverb
May 19th, 2016, 12:44 PM
I can understand some peoples complaints about their hair no matter the type, thickness, colors, etc.
Like people with thick hair might think their hair is too heavy and want it to be lighter or people with straight hair might see curls and want that.
Vice versa for all hair things related.

I think you are stuck with your hair no matter what and you should take the time to appreciate for what it is.
There are days where I hate my hair, but it gets me where I'm going so to speak. :flower:

*Stella*
May 19th, 2016, 01:22 PM
I seem to get the most compliments when my colour is faded and patchy and i think it looks dreadful lol.
I have naturally curly hair that i hate. I love curls on other people but I really don't like them on myself at all. It is what I call the 'Shakira effect' you know how she looks stunning with straight or wavy hair but distinctly average with her natural curls? Same thing on me, I look much less pretty with curls, they just don't suit me.
I rarely wear my hair curly, and even people who have known me for a long time don't realise how curly my hair is when left to its own devices.
So when I do wear it curly, I get a lot of comments on how nice it must be to have curly hair which makes me lol.

yahirwaO.o
May 19th, 2016, 01:28 PM

Definitely I feel like this! I complain sometimes for the thickness and my ends, but I'm pretty happy with my hair. My family is ok but more towards the side I should cut it (im a man, they say my phase has gone too long (I dont care really) Other people seem impressed when I do two dutch braids, but that style isn't really my favorite!

I receive compliments sporadically but I think a lot of people dont really dare to say something because I'm a rather shy guy! :eek:

I dont care really Im the one who is the happiest with my own locks!!!!.... and yeah I flip it a lot when im alone! :p

callahanwade
May 19th, 2016, 01:58 PM
I've struggled to like my hair. For a long time I was frustrated with my hair because I didn't know how to take care of it. It was about BSL at this time, but really thin and damaged looking, very stringy. I then cut my hair into a pixie and now that I'm regrowing my hair I'm slowly learning how to take care of it properly. I'm already noticing my hair is thicker that it was before.

I also used to hate how my hair looked greasy so easily. I felt I had to wash everyday because my hair looked so greasy the day after I washed, and I hated to wear my hair up because I have a high hairline. Since I got bangs, I've discovered that I don't really mind if my hair gets greasy. I can wear it up and no one will know ;) I've even gotten several compliments on my greasy hair in a Gibson tuck.

I think most people struggle to love their hair and deal with hair-envy, but most people can also make peace with their hair by treating it the right way for them. Hair care is so complicated because it's different for everyone and there's no formulaic approach that will give you perfect results. I think this has been the most frustrating thing for me, because it requires experimentation (which can get very expensive) and patience (which I'm not very good at).

Sarahlabyrinth
May 19th, 2016, 02:02 PM
I am pretty happy with my hair these days. If I could change anything about it I would choose to have it thicker. But the secret I think, really, is learning to appreciate the good qualities that your hair has - and everyone's hair has good qualities, or can do when well treated.

andrea1982
May 19th, 2016, 02:09 PM
I feel blessed with the amount of hair I have and the type, but only really started loving it when I keep it long. I've tried having short styled cuts before, and it just doesn't work for my hair type. It has it's own body wave and does it's own thing. It's resistant to straightening, takes forever to blow dry, etc. If I insisted on continuing to try to keep it in an A line bob for example, I'm sure I would hate my hair. Now, I wouldn't want anyone else's hair... but I did have a friend with tb length red curls that I really envied! Now if I had them myself I would probably be exasperated by the amount of time it takes to de-tangle, control frizz, etc.

Stepo_NiNha
May 19th, 2016, 02:20 PM
I also like my hair because I love dark hair and its shine (my hair shines a bit which is not bad at all). BUT I wish it was straighter. I love waves and curls but on my face straight hair suits better (at least for me). I dont know what the others think about it or about my hair because I dont get comments on my hair.

Christine_O
May 19th, 2016, 02:51 PM
I used to hate my hair, just like I hated everything about myself. It was the perfect thickness, and a glorious shade of dark blonde (back before it turned medium brown,) but it was too slippery to stay put when I tried to style it.
Now I use henna to shore up my all-too delicate follicles, and as a result of that choice I get this lovely vibrant auburn shade. But that's just about hair maintenance. I love my hair for the fact that every up-do ends up looking casual with delicate little wisps framing my face. I will never look perfectly polished, and I've learned to love that about my hair instead of hating it.

H o n є y ❤
May 19th, 2016, 03:04 PM
I HIGHLY doubt hair seems "perfect" to others. I do however sometimes receive compliments from strangers, which makes me feel good inside. From 7th grade to 2015 I absolutely hated my hair and I mean that. My hair is already fine and thin so when I was getting it relaxed every few months, it would just be so ughh...stringy, thin, and boring. I always hid it under extensions. I honestly didn't wear my own hair out in public for years.

Once I let go of the relaxer though and started to embrace my curly hair that all changed. I don't feel the need to hide behind extensions anymore. For the first time since 7th grade (2006) I can finally say I love my hair and my texture.There is only one thing I wish I could change about it and is the density. I want more of it but since my hair is curly it does look at bit thicker than it actually is but I still want it to look thicker or have volume. I can achieve this by growing my hair long. Right now I am just battling with being patient, it seems like growing out this hair is taking so long!

After joining LHC and seeing so many ladies with long beautiful hair, both fine/thin and thick, I have the confidence and support to achieve my goal. So thank you guys so much!!! :D

Amenahh
May 20th, 2016, 10:08 AM
I seem to get the most compliments when my colour is faded and patchy and i think it looks dreadful lol.
I have naturally curly hair that i hate. I love curls on other people but I really don't like them on myself at all. It is what I call the 'Shakira effect' you know how she looks stunning with straight or wavy hair but distinctly average with her natural curls? Same thing on me, I look much less pretty with curls, they just don't suit me.
I rarely wear my hair curly, and even people who have known me for a long time don't realise how curly my hair is when left to its own devices.
So when I do wear it curly, I get a lot of comments on how nice it must be to have curly hair which makes me lol.

Oh god, you just reminded me of one time when 'dream-hair friend' complimented my hair when it looked awful to me.
It was not particularly clean, and it was so straight and limp, zero volume. And I was just walking home when I bumped into her. To be honest, I was a bit embarrassed with my appearance (I hardly slept that night, and she wasn't alone). But she later told me that my hair looked nice!! I found it very funny

pili
May 20th, 2016, 10:37 AM

Sorry to derail the thread, but I have to say something:
Seriously? I think Shakira looks best with her natural curls. Distinct. Unique. Wavy or straight makes her look look like a carbon copy of every other singer/actress out there.

Amenahh
May 20th, 2016, 10:41 AM
Seriously? I think Shakira looks best with her natural curls. Distinct. Unique. Wavy or straight makes her look look like a carbon copy of every other singer/actress out there.

I totally agree with you!

MidnightMoon
May 20th, 2016, 10:44 AM

I thought her hair as we see it almost every time was her natural o.O. I mean, I know its not straight but I always see her with it curly/wavy but more curly? Maybe Im outdated lol. What I absolutely hate on her is thay ugly boring blonde shade. We already have like 90% blonde pop stars and actresses. We all know its fake and her roots also say so. I bet she would look amazing with her light skin and dark hair, or with the red shade she used to have years ago. I loved it looong and red :3

LadyCelestina
May 20th, 2016, 10:50 AM

Must be personal preference then. I just googled her with straight hair and think she looks rather blah to me. The wavy/curly hair suits her much better.

ETA: I like the blonde on her best though :D

pili
May 20th, 2016, 10:53 AM
I thought her hair as we see it almost every time was her natural o.O. I mean, I know its not straight but I always see her with it curly/wavy but more curly? Maybe Im outdated lol. What I absolutely hate on her is thay ugly boring blonde shade. We already have like 90% blonde pop stars and actresses. We all know its fake and her roots also say so. I bet she would look amazing with her light skin and dark hair, or with the red shade she used to have years ago. I loved it looong and red :3

Her natural hair is 3a/b and brown/black. In the video for "La Tortura (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dsp_8Lm1eSk)" you can see the natural curl.

MidnightMoon
May 20th, 2016, 10:57 AM
Her natural hair is 3a/b and brown/black. In the video for "La Tortura (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dsp_8Lm1eSk)" you can see the natural curl.

Hmm yes, I know. Ive known her since "donde estan los ladrones" CD. What I meant is that the image that comes to my mind when I think of her and what Ive seen in press pictures is her with hair this way. I looked at google images and can see what you mean, what shows up is her hair straight-ish...but on papers and such I kinda always see her with curly her. Not ringlets or thight curls but very close waves. I didnt know it was more common for her to wear it straighter.
I also know its very dark, thats why I mentioned the roots. I liked it much better that way :(

MidnightMoon
May 20th, 2016, 11:05 AM
Id love this red on her again!http://cos.h-cdn.co/assets/cm/14/29/480x730/539fd05c97d95_-_cos-shakira-redhair.jpg

*Stella*
May 20th, 2016, 01:48 PM
I didn't mean to start a Shakira debate!
Yes, I really think straighter hair flatters her features. Her natural curls are gorgeous, but she looks better to me with her hair styled.
I simply mean her face looks better with straighter hair, I am not commenting on her style or which hairstyle I prefer. Her eyes and cheekbones stand out more when her hair is straighter.

With my own hair even just straightening the very front makes my features 'pop' and look more balanced. Obviously I don't use heat to straighten these days, (giving up the straighteners was more of a challenge than giving up smoking for me!) but I do avoid having curls near my face. Twisting it whilst damp helps to pull the curls into waves that are fairly smooth near the root

Simsy
May 21st, 2016, 04:32 PM
I suspect it comes down to effort put in v end result. All they see is the end result. They don't see the several months of maintenance, and regular trims. They don't see the diet, or the styling practise. While they know you have to work for good hair, they probably aren't really aware of how much effort you are putting in. We all have that one friend that rolls out of bed looking like a runway model without having to touch their hair. It possibly explains why the "messy" look is so big right now.

MINAKO
May 22nd, 2016, 01:09 PM
I can hinestly say that the less i think about it the less obsessive i am, the less there is to hate and the better it actually looks as i just keep repeating the steps of my routine that are essential. I'm really "basic" these days and don't really expiriment anymore as i used to. I found my treatments and products that work for me making my hair look as nice as it could possibly be while keeping it healthy. If i want to straighten it on ocassion i do so. Sometimes i don't touch it for two days in a row.

spidermom
May 22nd, 2016, 02:53 PM
In the past I had an acquaintance who was annoyed with her hair because it grew so fast. She told me that she could cut it to shoulder length at the beginning of the year, and it would be back to butt length by the end of the year. She said she had to give up fashionable haircuts because they never lasted more than about a month before they were all grown out and awful looking. I don't know if she was exaggerating or not, but OMG; when I think of all the people here who would LOVE such fast growth.

wispywinnie
May 22nd, 2016, 02:56 PM
My twin sister was blessed with the better head of hair. It's so gorgeously curly, very thick, and hardly looks damaged (surprisingly, because she's used a LOT of heat on it since her last cut...years ago). I feel like I'll always be envying someone else's hair until my hair is the length & condition in which I want it.

MINAKO
May 22nd, 2016, 11:09 PM
In the past I had an acquaintance who was annoyed with her hair because it grew so fast. She told me that she could cut it to shoulder length at the beginning of the year, and it would be back to butt length by the end of the year. She said she had to give up fashionable haircuts because they never lasted more than about a month before they were all grown out and awful looking. I don't know if she was exaggerating or not, but OMG; when I think of all the people here who would LOVE such fast growth.

I think most non LHCer take APL for shoulder length and something between waist and hip for buttlength, ehich would still be fairly wuick growth. I had a friend like this in highschool. She cut it from classic to a long bob and before i even knew it it was halfway there again.

spirals
May 23rd, 2016, 12:16 AM
I'm not in love with my curl pattern. I don't like that my ends are thin. It's always either oily or frizzy. The one thing I do like is the color.

Shepherdess
May 23rd, 2016, 02:02 AM
I agree with what others have said about the "grass being greener" way of feeling. ;) It can sometimes be easy to do that.

I do love my hair, though sometimes I struggle to be completely satisfied with it, especially knowing that it isn't quite as healthy as it used to be 3-4 years ago.

I'm not in love with my curl pattern. I don't like that my ends are thin. It's always either oily or frizzy. The one thing I do like is the color.
So much this. I relate a lot!

stachelbeere
May 23rd, 2016, 04:46 AM

you know what - my best friend has this 'problem'. She has super silky fast growing hair (1a, f/m, ii - it feels like cat hair). I've been growing my hair since 2011, starting with a bob and with minimal hair cuts I'm at waist (granted - my hair is damanged at the ends, it was probably breaking off too). Since then she's been in the cycle of getting her hair cut to shoulder and two months later it's at APL. It takes her around 6 months to go from shoulder to waist. Then she cuts it again to shoulder (she loves her hair hemline to be blunt and doesn't like her hair to be tapered in any way). So yeah - your friend might be exaggerating but maybe not...?

Daydreamer.
May 27th, 2016, 06:35 AM
I don't like my hair. It is super curly, thin, AND grows slowly. It is always unruly and wild looking. It is so hard to manage, too. I mean it never looks nice. The only time I get compliments on my hair is when I straighten it. I'm hoping that length will help weigh down the frizzy curls and stretch them out.

chen bao jun
May 29th, 2016, 01:32 PM
I've always loved my hair. I think this is because my dad was always telling me what great hair I had. He used to sing songs about my hair when I was little girl. However, I still straightened it for 20 years due to social pressure. I loved my hair but I didn't like taking care of it before LHC. It was a lot of trouble, mostly because I didn't how not to FIGHT the curls. when people used to admire my hair, I'd think about the intense amount of time detangling and how much it liked to pouf. I used to like the compliments, but think that they didn't have a clue how much trouble it was.

I wonder if the friend might be feeling something similar. Not so much not liking her hair as feeling a need to explain the downside, if that makes sense.

Spinder
May 29th, 2016, 10:55 PM
I love my hair! The only thing I dislike is the amount of split ends I get, which is frustrating, but that is why I always carry a pair of hair shears in my bag ;)

Goatcraft
May 30th, 2016, 11:56 AM
I hate my hair. I receive compliments regularly, especially on the natural dark color.. But it's just a lot to handle. Especially curly. I won't even wear it down curly. The only thing I really like is the fact that my hair grows fasts. But that's about it.

Simsy
June 1st, 2016, 06:19 AM
Warning, rant inbound...

I hate the sheer amount of hair I have...thick hair runs in the family. I could cope with that if it wasn't also fine, and odd sized curls. They won't clump like normal curls, they don't sit like waves and they don't tolerate too much or not enough moisture without going crunchy or oily (make up your mind, hair...are you oily or dry?). Might have also been nice to have someone (looking at you, curly haired grandparents, mother and 2 aunts) tell me about curls being dry before I hit 20 and seriously considered shaving it. Yes, I'm jealous of my sister who got slightly thinner hair and waves that behave. And no, Dad, I'm not cutting it short because these damn curls only get worse and harder to handle when they are short. End with a scream of frustration...:justy:

Thank you for letting me rant, I'm learning to like the curls. You are all a great help in learning to treat them properly. The length and moisture make them much easier to handle, and I'm looking forward to finding out what they are like at classic. Thankfully, most of the family is happy that I'm happier with my hair and my husband loves the curls when I leave them loose. So, it's nit all bad news and it's getting better every month.

RavennaNight
June 1st, 2016, 07:59 AM
I think it depends on the hair and the person whose head it grows from, and what they want from their hair. We can always try to tell people to accept and be happy with that which grows from their head, but if they're not, they're not.